SciFi book written in the 70's, possibly 60's about an AI controlled city.

IcecreamLtDan

Growing up in the 70's, my mother took me with her to a large used book store almost every weekend. In addition to the comics that, as a young boy, I ate up, there was also a large SciFi book section. Generally my mom would let me pic a few books and then once I read them we'd return them to the store and I would get others. As I grew older I remembered a lot of these books fondly and have attempted to pic up a few of the ones I remembered, including quite a few that were parts of a series that I didn't even know about.

One book in particular that I was fond of I've never been able to remember the title of. I'm quite certain it was a stand alone book written probably in the 70's, maybe the 60's. I don't remember that much about it other than I really liked it. The basic plot centered around a domed city that was controlled by an AI. The book covered several centuries of time from when the city was heavily inhabited and then eventually mankind moved out to the stars and the city was forgotten about. The ending consisted of a lone human returning to the city to interact with the AI and eventually either shut it down, or remove it, I don't recall which.

I remember that each chapter, or several chapters, consisted of a person living in the city and their story and interaction with the city. One in particular I remember, if you've ever seen the movie "Demolition Man" you may remember a similar scene, consisted of a young man who wished to go back to living in a more simpler time. He lived in a time where intimate relations with the opposite sex were all done in a VR world. He wanted to actually touch a person and the thought of doing that was horrifying to the other inhabitants so he was an unhappy person.

Unfortunately I can't remember any more than that, over the years I've been able to obtain copies of other SciFi books by doing internet searches and finally remembering their titles but, this one still eludes me. Any help wold be most appreciated.

It sounds a bit like The City and the Stars by Arthur C Clark . It was written in 1956.

Weclome to Chons .

This is the best book website around ,we love to talk about favorite books and writer and some of the member writers and aspiring writers and fans . Actual we're all fans And we just love recommend books and get reccomedations too. And the are lot of fun and silly threads too :D

Baylor, you may be right, if not, it's certainly close to it. I'll see if I can get a copy and give it a read, even if that isn't it, sounds like a good book. I just remember the ending as being so sad. The lone human returns to the city to talk with the AI and explain what happened to humanity.

Baylor, you may be right, if not, it's certainly close to it. I'll see if I can get a copy and give it a read, even if that isn't it, sounds like a good book. I just remember the ending as being so sad. The lone human returns to the city to talk with the AI and explain what happened to humanity.

It's the closet book I can think of that matches what you described.

By the same author.. The lion of Comarre?
It's been so long since i read it i can't remember much of the plot but i know there was an AI city

Back