William Golding (1911-1993)

Extollager

Here's a place to discuss the writings of the Nobelist author, author of Lord of the Flies, Pincher Martin, The Inheritors, and a bunch of novels I haven't read yet. What else is worth reading?

william-golding-002.jpg

bafd9b25-622a-4f6c-8e57-4e4f175527f2-2060x1371.jpeg
c2725bcc-d4dc-480c-b688-30c86912394a-2060x1491.jpeg

I did Pincher Martin for A-level (last years of secondary school, so about 16-18 yo), and absolutely adored it — I’ve still got the copy I bought for myself at the time, complete with all my notes. Actually, it occurs to me that PM might be why I write so many twist-in-the-tail surprise endings to my short stories.

Anyhow, I’ve also got The Double Tongue about a girl who becomes the Pythia, the Oracle of Apollo at Delphi, which I thoroughly enjoyed, though I can’t now recall much of it, and The Scorpion God which is a collection of three novellas or long short stories, which weren’t in the same league but were interesting. I made a note of my thoughts when I read the latter but I can’t access them at present, but as and when (if) I can, I’ll add them here. Both are worth reading.

I’ve also read Rites of Passage, but I didn’t enjoy that as much, perhaps because I’d read all the Maturin-Aubrey novels by Patrick O’Brian so I was approaching it as a sea-novel and it was somewhat lacking by comparison.

I've only read Pincher Martin (apart from LOTF) and think it's brilliant. Due a reread soon.

I read The Paper Men and, to be honest, it was so long ago, I can't quite remember a lot about it. I seem to recall that I enjoyed it but I don't think the critics did. I still have a hardback copy so maybe I'll read it again soon.

Right, I've got my laptop back, so I can access the notes I made in 2014 about The Scorpion God:

It's a collection of three novellas all exploring life in early societies, though to my mind with varying success. The title work, showing the unlikely coming to power of the first Pharaoh of a united Egypt, was cleverly conceived and interesting; the second, a confusing, pointless, anachronistic story set in Africa among the first humans, wasn't. The best of the three in my view was the last, where a Greek inventor shows off pressure cookers, paddle steamers and high explosives to a Roman emperor, which was written with humour, psychological insight and a surprising lightness of touch.
One of his I keep meaning to read but never get around to buying is The Spire. Any one else read it?

The Rites of Passage Trilogy is Wonderful, with a capital W. Absolutely top-notch literary fiction. Can't recommend it highly enough...

Spurred on by this thread, and a couple of visits to Salisbury where Golding taught, I duly went and bought The Spire.

The story is very loosely based on Salisbury itself, in that it revolves around erecting a 400ft spire onto a cathedral which was conceived and built without one, and the foundations of which are wholly inadequate for the weight, with the whole cathedral effectively "floating" above a gravel base. The street names and layout are those of Salisbury, and reference is made to local places and geography, yet nowhere in the novel is it actually named, presumably to distance it a little from the original, and to prevent anyone niggling at historical inaccuracies.

Although the novel concerns the spire, it's actually a story of obsession by a man who feels he's been appointed by God to carry out a divine task, and the costs that arise to him and those under him in making it happen. It takes over the dean's life so he neglects his duties, and precipitates him into a kind of insanity, especially when he understands the price others have paid, only for him to realise that what he thought was God's intervention and an angel's support was in fact the result of immorality and jesting on the one hand, and disease on the other. The men who build the spire are base -- drunkards, fornicators, blasphemers and worse -- and the townsfolk, for whom the spire should be an uplifting image bringing them closer to God, are still in thrall to paganism. His life's work, it appears, has been for nothing, and at the end when a terrible storm shakes the spire, and when his mind is nearly gone, virtually all he can say is "Has it fallen yet?"

The writing isn't always easy, though it has some wonderful lines and imagery. Though not stream-of-consciousness at the beginning, it creeps towards it then into it as the dean's mental breakdown accelerates, with Golding occasionally moving from the third person past tense, in which it's mainly written, into first person present tense without warning (ie no quotation marks or italics). I had to read a good many paragraphs at least twice in order to work out what was going on and being a pragmatist myself, I wasn't so taken with parts of it which had a rather metaphysical bent to them.

Overall an interesting read, and absorbing, but despite evidence of sexual and other passion, somewhat cold and cerebral, and I suspect I've not got as much out of it as others would.

For those interested, Salisbury's spire is indeed 404ft high, and since 1549, when Lincoln's collapsed, has been the tallest in England. It's thought it was severely damaged not long after it was built in 1300-1320, and there is still in situ the medieval internal scaffolding which was erected to carry out the repairs at that time. As in the novel, the pillars at the crossing have been bent inwards by the weight and stresses from the tower and spire, and over the centuries numerous interventions have been required to stop the whole thing falling down (something which happened at Chichester as recently as 1861).

I have been up on (and in) the roof of Salisbury cathedral. Splendid. Amazing spire. I love the old Norman cathedrals, especially Winchester and Salisbury, which is interesting as a complete atheist. Might have something to do with the excellent pubs (in Winchester at least) in and around the closes.

Will have to look out this Golding.

I think Salisbury is usually categorised as Early English, rather than Norman, as it was built from about 1220 and has the characteristic lighter pointed arches rather than the heavy rounded ones. I've never been on one of the tower tours, as I'm not too good at heights and the getting up there, but I've seen pictures, and the views you can get from up there look utterly glorious.

If you love Norman architecture, by the way, then Durham is the Cathedral you really need to see. Utterly magnificent in both construction and setting. Much as I enjoy both Salisbury and Winchester, and Wells come to that, it's Durham that tops my Cathedral list. I really need to go back up and see it again, as it's been years since I was last up there.

Visited Durham as a child and have vague memories of the cathedral. Wells is really interesting. The St Andrews Cross Arches look like modern additions but are not.