March 2018 reading thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished Something Wicked This Way Comes, a book I've wanted to read since I first heard of it. Loved the story, the carnival people were creepy as hell, and the whole thing reads almost like poetry. I was not disappointed. (y)
I love Bradbury. His whole Greentown world is a real transporter. Dandelion wine still my favourite.

Gone Girl, by Gillian Flynn.[...] Good, but hard to recommend.

I haven't found it hard to recommend, Toby, perhaps predictably given our odd overlappings in taste combined with our differences in appreciation of what we read. :)

Gone Girl 1

Gone Girl 2

But then I like my satire dark and bitter, and even more so when I detect a sort of submerged authorial glee in the creation (note in the Gone Girl 2 link the recommendations for The Circus of Dr. Lao and Twilight). Additional to your take on the characters, I think Flynn is having some fun with
the seemingly infallible con artist, the nearly omnipotent manipulator, the chess master of reality
trope that one sees in a good deal of mystery/crime fiction.

Gone Girl shares some qualities with her earlier novels Sharp Objects and Dark Places, but that layering of satire upped the game for me.

Randy M.

Tonight I've began reading the latest Charles Stross laundry files book The Delirium Brief

I've enjoyed all the series so far so I hope this one doesn't disappoint.

I finished "Ready Player One" and wow, was that a wild ride! This was a page-turning cyberpunk adventure story that relies heavily on 70's-80's nerd culture. Although the characters and other entities are pretty straightforward "good guys" and "bad guys", they are well done and the story is captivating beginning to end.

I duly finished Drakenfeld by Mark Charan Newton and I didn't change my mind about the quality of the writing. The plot was thin to say the least, with none of the red herrings required and far too many irrelevant digressions, the stupidity and lack of investigative skill of the main character was breath-taking, and the denouement -- which should be the high spot of a murder mystery -- was a flop. Not actually fantasy at all, save that it's set in a not-real continent, since the only fantastical element is a ghost which plays absolutely no part in the plot. Very disappointing.

As I was finishing that, I raced through Job: A Comedy of Justice by Robert Heinlein. I thoroughly enjoyed the first two-thirds of the book during which Alec/Alex is put through all his travails, since the voice and wry humour leavened the digs at a certain kind of mean-spirited and hidebound born-again Christianity. But following the Rapture and Alec's translation into Heaven and then elsewhere I became less satisfied as the comic aspects were left behind and we got Heinlein's preoccupations with sex and religion full-frontal, as it were, not helped by the fact that I loathed Jerry and his women.

From that I moved onto The Darkling Child by Terry Brooks. I read The High Druid's Blade last year, after first trying it a couple of years before that, and once past all the relentless info-dumping of backstory and worldbuilding in he opening chapters, I thought it was OK but nothing special, which pretty much sums up my feelings about the latest offering, which follows the same protagonist and his antagonist, though this time with different side-kicks and other players.

On a different league, following a couple of recent trips to see some Oscar Wilde plays, I thought I'd have a go at some more of his prose, and I picked up The Canterville Ghost and other stories, a baker's dozen of short stories. The fairy tales were universally luscious and wonderful, though at least one of them could usefully have been pruned somewhat for my taste, but ones with a more -- to him -- modern and semi-realistic setting I found witty but ultimately tiresome in their continual effort to be witty, which is, thinking about it, largely my reaction to his plays.

I duly finished Drakenfeld by Mark Charan Newton and I didn't change my mind about the quality of the writing. The plot was thin to say the least, with none of the red herrings required and far too many irrelevant digressions, the stupidity and lack of investigative skill of the main character was breath-taking, and the denouement -- which should be the high spot of a murder mystery -- was a flop. Not actually fantasy at all, save that it's set in a not-real continent, since the only fantastical element is a ghost which plays absolutely no part in the plot. Very disappointing.
Aw shucks. I had this one lined up as one of the next books to read. Thought a fantasy whodunit was too rare a good thing to pass up on and that it might make a nice change from all the grimdark going around. Well, back on the shelf it goes until I feel like trying it out anyway ...

Just finished Gavin Smith’s War In Heaven. Thoroughly enjoyable.
So is it a mite more uplifting than Veteran? I loved the first book and have the second waiting on the to-read shelf, but so far I haven't worked up the courage to pick it up.

Aw shucks. I had this one lined up as one of the next books to read. Thought a fantasy whodunit was too rare a good thing to pass up on and that it might make a nice change from all the grimdark going around. Well, back on the shelf it goes until I feel like trying it out anyway ...
Try it next anyway, as I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. Both Werthead and Anthony G Williams enjoyed it, though frankly I disagree with them about everything they praise Drakenfeld by Mark Charan Newton I read a fair few historical murder mysteries though, which this basically is albeit invented history, and I'm attempting to write one myself with fantasy elements, so it may be I'm more attuned to what's needed in that respect than those who don't read as much of it.

Tonight I've began reading the latest Charles Stross laundry files book The Delirium Brief

I've enjoyed all the series so far so I hope this one doesn't disappoint.

Too much info-dumping and too little of the trademark laundry files humour :(

"Jaws" - Peter Benchley.

I first read this thriller was way back in 1975, just prior to the film premier. Being less discerning, I thought the book was generally well done and highly entertaining, especially the final stanza with the three guys on the Orca hunting the Great White Shark.

But then I saw the film, and quickly realised how bloated Benchley's book really was, and as a consequence the paperback gathered dust for a number of years before I found the effort to read it again. And even though it does sparkle in places, it pales into insignificance compared to the superior screenplay.

So here we are again, preparing myself for another turgid journey through PB's over indulgence of sex and backstabbing intrigue, followed by some distance by the actual shark story.

Try it next anyway, as I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. Both Werthead and Anthony G Williams enjoyed it, though frankly I disagree with them about everything they praise Drakenfeld by Mark Charan Newton I read a fair few historical murder mysteries though, which this basically is albeit invented history, and I'm attempting to write one myself with fantasy elements, so it may be I'm more attuned to what's needed in that respect than those who don't read as much of it.
Hmm, I‘ve got Luke Scull‘s Dead Man‘s Steel and Evan Currie‘s Odysseus Awakening to finish first (taking a break from Alexander Kent‘s salt dog yarn). Let‘s see how I feel then. So many books ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back