Old Tech thread

View attachment 105972
If this has already been done consider it an encore.
Over the years since the first business microcomputers started appearing (which really means the first IBM PC) I have always noticed the the purchase price of a mid quality PC has remained pretty stable. This despite massive increases in both power and currency inflation since those early days. I find it fascinating that, presumably, the improvements in materials and manufacturing combined with the increases in volume since then seem to have almost exactly matched those inflationary pressures. I have been using PCs for development since they first appeared and this has generally meant using mid to higher end models. And these have always cost me in the region of £2000 to £2500 over a period of around 45 years.

Over the years since the first business microcomputers started appearing (which really means the first IBM PC) I have always noticed the the purchase price of a mid quality PC has remained pretty stable. This despite massive increases in both power and currency inflation since those early days. I find it fascinating that, presumably, the improvements in materials and manufacturing combined with the increases in volume since then seem to have almost exactly matched those inflationary pressures. I have been using PCs for development since they first appeared and this has generally meant using mid to higher end models. And these have always cost me in the region of £2000 to £2500 over a period of around 45 years.
True, that's sort of what I spent, but you have you include the upgrades that I got for this PC. I did need to get a more powerful graphics card and a new power pack to run it.

It's 8 years old now. which makes it a bit of grandpa, but it still has legs. Can't see me needing to upgrade for a while yet (fingers crossed nothing blows up). Still have half a hard disc drive that I've never used. And believe me, I've tried to fill it, so still got about a Tb of space.

I still have my old 1978 Exidy Sorceror with a whopping 32 KB RAM plus the b&W Monitor that came with it. Cost me $1,700 back then.

No disks - used cassette tapes.

Please, can we have less of this trash-talk...?
Old Tech + trash talk =

d9862f791169dd75bd32f9d084f01918.jpg

I like looking up the addresses of these ads on Google Maps, to see what's there now. In this case, the Southampton address is a sandwich bar, the Ryde one a fish and chips/ice-cream emporium, and the Bournemouth one a Licensed Adult Store...

You sometimes saw pantechnicon used in press reports. Now the spell checker on my phone doesn't even recognise it.

I can't help but think Corporal Jones would be useful against guy in the last picture.

They don't like it up 'em,sir.

You'd probably just about get away with that on 'Battlebots'/'Robot Wars'...

Back