CPD - what’s your practice?

Phyrebrat

www.beanwriting.com
Supporter
I find when I become ‘comfortable’ with my writing I start to distrust it and start seeking ways to improve (Not that I’m a published author, but you get my point, I hope).

In the past I’ve added podcasts (Writing Excuses in particular), how-to books, Chrons of course, and lately, thanks to @ratsy , @The Judge , @TheDustyZebra, @Brian G Turner and @HareBrain, the kind of books or TV I read or watch.

The 75, 300 and SS challenges have been particularly helpful in writing minimally, but I think there may be a certain ceiling to them where it becomes about creativity rather than craft.

So, what do you put in place to continually improve the craft of your writing?

pH

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'm the best judge of my own writing, still less of my improvement as a writer, but I'm convinced that a necessary element is a strong editor.

I can point to my graduate school experience. There, the editors (=professors) were specifically aiming to help me improve as a historian, which of course means writing. I could not have improved as I did without their critiques which, whether harsh or supportive, were always helpful. In addition, I learned how to listen to critiques even when they were minimal or harsh or otherwise off-putting (a word they would have squashed instantly).

So there's that. Expository writing, true enough, but I learned what a proper sentence and paragraph looked like, and how to bend either to my intent. Anyone can learn the rules, but most of us will learn rules more quickly and thoroughly if they are taught to us.

The analogue for fiction is the editor and, to a less reliable degree, the beta reader. It is vital not only to find these rare birds, but even more to learn how to listen to them. It's the listening part that helps one improve on the next pass, and it also helps with gaining another learning platform: reading.

Read, read, read, that's what the sage tells us. But mere reading isn't enough. The writer has to learn how to read *as a writer*. It's not enough to recognize a good piece of dialog, the writer must recognize why the passage is good, how to internalize that, and then call up the lesson in the midst of writing so smoothly that the reader never notices.

So, sure, read the How To Write Real Good articles. I've got a whole collection of them myself. But the substantial learning, if indeed it has come at all for me, comes from working with someone as good or better than myself, or at least someone with a different set of eyes. The best eyes see things I do not. The best editor knows how to articulate what they see (remember those term paper comments that merely read "good!" without elaboration?). The best partner challenges us to reach for the next rung.

Or, to put it another way, get feedback. :)

So, what do you put in place to continually improve the craft of your writing?

I can only echo sknox:

Read, read, read, that's what the sage tells us. But mere reading isn't enough. The writer has to learn how to read *as a writer*. It's not enough to recognize a good piece of dialog, the writer must recognize why the passage is good, how to internalize that, and then call up the lesson in the midst of writing so smoothly that the reader never notices.

Cpd is so much part of my professional practice, I grab most opportunities that come my way (another teacher, here!)

As well as the write, review, critical reflection cycle some stuff I've done includes:

A week's bursary at a summer school including a writing workshop- excellent, challenging and brought huge growth

Attending conventions, including reading events (great to see other writers presenting their works) writing panels - and being on panels and being challenged by readers about my own work

Running courses on writing and the research that goes into them

Book festivals - attending talks; taking part and extended research to do so; networking, and writing events (had a great one in Dublin last year with some great panels)

Peer feedback and networking including challenging best practice. I took on the chairperson of a local writers group (with 300+ members so it's significant) which has really challenged my understanding of the writing environment and my place in it.

A reading group that I attend gives space for critical reflection.

And a few other activities, I'm sure. :)

In the next year I'm exploring a mentoring arrangement which will be challenging (but had hoped to get funded this year and didn't do that might get held back to next autumn), a challenging residency which would be amazing if I got it (but it is well subscribed to) and some extended facilitation days, which will all stretch my practice.

I agree but that’s not CPD, it’s feedback and subjective to others, not yourself.

What I’m asking is how do you ensure your skill sets improve, not how you polish your diamond WIP.

ETA- just seen Jo’s post; my comments refer to the Boss ;)

pH
I think maybe explaining what cpd is and the cycle behind it might be useful?

Most cpd is based on a learning circle - something like kobl works well.

It starts with establishing where you are - strengths/ weaknesses. Objectively carried out based on evidence.

Then where you would like to go and what opportunities are there. It's helpful if you know what learning style best suits you - I'm a pragmatic learner so lean towards activities that have doing at their core and must challenge myself to reflect.

Take the opportunities that best suit (including can you afford them etc)

Reflect on the learning from them.

Apply it - so important this stage.

Review and start again :)

The longer I write, the more often I see the same writing challenges appear. I judge my progress or improvement by the way I approach and (hopefully) master them. Initially, I would avoid them as too difficult, then I'd find a way to adapt them to my writing and now I like to face them head-on. I often fail or can't quite master a situation as well as I'd like, but having the confidence to believe I can do it drives me to improve.

It's hard to think of examples, as these challenges appear almost every time I write, but head-hopping is one of my last frontiers. I have the confidence to try, but it's not something I have managed to pull off convincingly - or to a self-satisfactory level - after many attempts. I don't even think it's something that suits my style of writing, but because to me it's like a mountain, I'd like to climb it because it is there!

I believe the highest form of professional development for a writer is to continue writing; however it includes doing so with a critical eye.

I've found a good measure is to return to my own work and read through it thoroughly, as though I were intent on another deep edit and if I find nothing to edit--which is usually the condition I left it in--then I've likely reached a plateau and gotten stuck there and should be doing more to improve my skills. I know many authors who won't look at their old published books--for various reasons--; however unless it's because they have reached a spot where they know they are continually advancing and they don't have time to go back and fix all the old work, I would suggest they read them as a check, to be certain they haven't stagnated.

If you are hyper critical toward all your old work, that might be an indicator that you are advancing; however it does add confusion when you're continually unhappy with the work in progress; because, for me, that means every time I go back through I find myself changing things.

It often can become difficult to not start the whole thing over again. However: I look at that as a good sign, because there were many reads between publishing and the present, with my first novel, where I couldn't see the changes that I could easily make now if I wanted to spend the time.

Maybe explain what CPD is to those of us who aren't teachers? :rolleyes: And just in case you think I'm stupid by not knowing, I'll just remind you all that at least I knew what staring fur looked like. :cool:

(Many moons ago when I admin'd on a Lost forum, we referred to one of the other admins as CPD, so that's all I know).

Is CPD a teacher thing? I’ve had CPD folders in all my previous jobs :p

It stands for continuous/al professional development I think.

pH
I actually rarely have it for teaching practice - but can't fecking move for it in every other job.

It's more than just how you improve, @Mouse but about WHAT you do to improve. So eg critiquing someone else's is a different sort of learning than editing your own. Or going to a panel or a talk where they might say something that you take back and use in your own work.

How you improve and what you do to improve, isn't that the same thing? I'm very confused by the whole question, specially as @Phyrebrat says skonx and Brian's answers aren't what he meant.

Don't we all do the same things? I listen to what other people tell me and apply it to my own stuff (and other people's stuff if I'm critiquing.)

Yeah, but the difference is most professionals have to do it to keep their jobs, they don't actually want to do it or spend time discussing how to do it! (Or that might just be me, then...)

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

It’s crucial in Dance or me ol’ bones seize up and I’ll stop being so in demand daaaarling.

@Mouse - yeah, kinda; crits and betas can help form a CPD plan but I think a CPD is like a SWOT analysis (lulz) where S-strengths, w-weaknesses, O-obstructions, T-target. If you can identify those, you can tailor make your growth plan.

It’s all very boring and as T.J. says a lot of it is compulsory in office jobs (involving tedious interviews with your manager and loads of self-evaluation writing), but I just make a mental note of my SWOT and try to go from there.

So, for you, I’d say your S would definitely be your characters, dialogue and your persistence and productivity.

pH

Yeah, but the difference is most professionals have to do it to keep their jobs, they don't actually want to do it or spend time discussing how to do it! (Or that might just be me, then...)
Nope! Me too. It's mandatory.

Mouse - I think most people who are learning do develop all the time, so naturally apply some of it.

But - let's say I realise I'm really crap at description. I can go to a crit group and I can practice it. But let's say I still struggle to nail it - or that I suddenly want to be a descriptive genius. At that point, I might go to a workshop with someone I know is ace at description.

So it's more than just developing naturally. It's about also deciding where you need, or would like to improve, and then seeking out things to learn from - and lots of different activities, not just one or two.

Right, I getcha. Yeah, no, we don't have that in my office job. We do get a lot of emails though from management and I never read past the first line. Then I get shouted at for not reading past the first line.

Ok, so I know I'm crap at description. How do I improve (or try to) at it? I just try to be less crap next time.

I'm not doing very well at this whole CPD SWOT thing, am I? Weirdly, I have to build a wiki on TLAs for my job. Unfortunately it's all about cabling though, so... no help.