The Mauritius Command by Patrick O’Brian

Vertigo

Mad Mountain Man
Supporter
Aubrey is once more ashore on half pay, married now with a daughter (rather than the son he really wants) inevitably short of money again and living in a rather down cottage almost but not quite with a view of the sea. Naturally, despite loving his new family, he is desperate to get back to that sea and, once again, Maturin comes to his rescue with news of a new command and possibly not just a single ship but a small squadron. Four French frigates have slipped the British blockades and are threatening British trade in the Indian Ocean; Aubrey and Maturin are required to eliminate that threat by taking the two strategic French held Islands of Mauritius and Reunion.

Here O’Brian is writing our two heroes into a genuine historical campaign which inevitably constrains his freedom to drive the story where he will. But, for the most part, that is not a serious restriction as the real campaign provides ample action and adventure, however it does result is a slightly down beat ending which, for me, was fine as it grounded the story in a realism in which the hero doesn’t always achieve all his desires. The resulting story is definitely my favourite of the series so far. It races along at a breakneck pace, filled with action and a much changed and matured Aubrey who I found far more likeable, if just possibly, in his own thoughts, a smidgen pompous.

Another great story in this series that is growing on me with each new book I read.

5/5 stars

Back