Found - Female author - something like "Miles of Corsican"?

AlexH

Hello - I think this one will be easy for you folks.

I'm trying to find a female author - her name sounded like "Budge Olden" on the podcast I heard (which I think was Writing Excuses). She was mentioned as a literary SFF writer and has written a series of books that to me sounded like "Miles of Corsican". I rewound the podcast at the time and still couldn't figure out her name or the book series.

If that's not enough info, I'll try and hunt down the podcast I listened to.

Lois McMaster Bujold. The Miles Vorkosigan series. :)

Read in order, though there is some debate about where to start. Check her section for advice.

Personally, I recommend starting with ... what country are you from? They're called different things and organized differently in the US vs the UK.

In the US, the first book with Miles is called Young Miles. It's a compilation of three novellas titled The Warrior's Apprentice, The Mountains of Mourning, and The Vor Game.

The first book chronologically is Cordelia's Honor, which is actually about Miles' parents, but it was written later. And to me, it's good to get a feel for Miles before you go back to his roots. Cordelia's Honor is a compilation of two novellas titled Shards of Honor and Barrayar.

Brilliant - I knew it'd be easy. Thank you! :)

"Budge Olden" sounds like "Bujold"! I'm not sure where the "en" came from. I was hoping she'd written some short stories (which I now see she has), and was using "Miles of Corsican" to help identify her. But as you've said they're a compilation of novellas, I'm likely to read those as well.

She has some short stories, but there's nothing like Miles. :D

The novellas just read like a whole book -- you don't really notice when it goes from one to the next. She's combined them differently in other collections, like two that were previously together and then one different one, which makes more sales but is mildly irritating. However, I'd buy anything Vorkosigan if there was a scrap of something new in it, so there you go.

The first 'uns were good but the last couple got too sloppy romantic and meh

Agreed! And as far as I'm concerned none of the other ones measure up to "Shards of Honor" and "Barrayar." Once Miles actually enters the scene my opinion of the series starts downward and in a few books precipitously downward.

Agreed! And as far as I'm concerned none of the other ones measure up to "Shards of Honor" and "Barrayar." Once Miles actually enters the scene my opinion of the series starts downward and in a few books precipitously downward.

For me, Shards and Barrayar are the weakest by a long shot and almost stopped me reading. The first Miles were weak too. But the series through Brothers in Arms to A Civil Campaign (esp Memory) were just the best character led sf books I've read :)

Whereas Shards' characterisation made me cringe

Which is why I love this genre - how we all love different things. I'd just like there to be more appreciation (in the wide sense not anyone here) about what women writers do well - which is hit the emotional highs* that, perhaps, a women readership looks for.

*ie there might be different emotional highs men love :)

And I like all of them. The various books are good for different reasons, different things, but there isn't one that I don't like. There are some I reread more than others, that's all.

For me, Shards and Barrayar are the weakest by a long shot and almost stopped me reading. The first Miles were weak too. But the series through Brothers in Arms to A Civil Campaign (esp Memory) were just the best character led sf books I've read

:eek::eek: I wouldn't have thought we would have such completely opposite views. It was about "Brothers in Arms" that I just couldn't force myself to read another book about Miles charming the world.:sick: Whereas "Shards of Honor" was for me about a clash of cultures, about what was right, what was moral, and what was expedient. For me that's what makes a S.F. novel really, really good.

But as you say "Horses for Courses."

*And I wouldn't dare to touch this line for all the tea in China!
*ie there might be different emotional highs men love :)

Miles charming the world

I've seen this argument out of you and others before, and it baffles me. It's thoroughly explained, an integral part of Miles' character and personality, how he learned practically from birth to get what he wanted with charm because he was so often totally immobilized and prevented from doing it any other way. It's how he became so intense. Condensed, as they say. And he's had to continually overcome so many obstacles, many caused by his own doings, I just don't understand how you seem to look at him as a Mary Sue.

And really, there would be far more of a case to be made for that with Honor Harrington, and you like her just fine. (As do I.)

Groan!
Not Honor...... wins every battle, always has ten thousand more missiles than whoever she fights, bestie with the Queen.
Got very samey five books ago yaaawn

I just don't understand how you seem to look at him as a Mary Sue.

And really, there would be far more of a case to be made for that with Honor Harrington, and you like her just fine.

Urban Dictionary: Mary Sue

Mary Sue - Wikipedia

I'm not sure what you mean by Mary Sue I've found two writing related definitions. I'm assuming the second one in which a "Mary Sue" is an idealized perfect character.

So.... Actually it is not the character so much, its the ethos of the stories. I am getting more and more disenchanted with the last Honor Harrington books. It is the first four and possibly a few more which really turn my crank. What it mainly is the big picture stuff, and the thinking of the "enemy" which is always logical in some way, which does it. For me the Miles universe just rings less believable and Miles himself rings less believable.

Can we all just agree that it would be best if Honor and Miles never cross paths?

Interesting idea. Hmm, brains, cunning, lightening reflexes, a young body with 40 years plus of training and enhanced genetics vs. brains and cunning with physical handicaps. ----- I don't know who would win, but I know who I would be betting on. ;)

Back