Publishing short stories in magazines before publishing them as a collection?

Tanja Bisgaard

Hi everyone.

I have created a "world" where I am writing several short stories that take place. I would like to publish them as a collection (once I have written them all), but I would also like to publish them either in online magazines or places like WattPad as I write.

My question is: Will a publisher want to publish my short story collection if the stories already have been published other places - such as in magazines or on social media?

Hi everyone.

I have created a "world" where I am writing several short stories that take place. I would like to publish them as a collection (once I have written them all), but I would also like to publish them either in online magazines or places like WattPad as I write.

My question is: Will a publisher want to publish my short story collection if the stories already have been published other places - such as in magazines or on social media?

A publisher most likely won't but there would be nothing to stop you self publishing them.

A publisher will if in the process of getting those stories published in magazines you've made a name for yourself: sold them to professional magazines with large circulations, been nominated for/won a few awards, maybe published a few novels. Most collections that I've seen consist of stories that have been previously published elsewhere -- with maybe a couple of new stories thrown in -- but those are by established authors.

OK. Have you tried that - and been succesful? I have heard self publishing can be difficult - regarding marketing etc?

I have one self published and two, going on four, trad published novels. It's all difficult and, frankly, much of a muchness regarding marketing etc. My sp one takes a little more work but mostly it's all just promoting little writer me and all lumped in together - some places like the sound of one over the other and give one or other more prominence (my stuff tends to vary quite a lot in terms of theme, style and genre).

Re short stories - I am planning to self publish an anthology of mine from various places, complete with some new ones and a new novella next spring. I'll report back on how it goes.

One other thing to think of - look at what rights you are selling if you sell to a magazine. As in will they allow you to re-publish in your own collection.

I have one self published and two, going on four, trad published novels. It's all difficult and, frankly, much of a muchness regarding marketing etc. My sp one takes a little more work but mostly it's all just promoting little writer me and all lumped in together - some places like the sound of one over the other and give one or other more prominence (my stuff tends to vary quite a lot in terms of theme, style and genre).

Re short stories - I am planning to self publish an anthology of mine from various places, complete with some new ones and a new novella next spring. I'll report back on how it goes.
So by the sound of it - self publishing was not a disadvantage when you wanted to find a publisher...?
And yes - look forward to hearing about your experiences regarding anthology! You will be done before me :D

I would say if you pick well respected magazines with big readerships then its an excellent form of pre-release marketing to release short stories. Heck back before digital publishing it was one of the ways to getting attention from a big publisher - to have short stories win awards and gain readerships.

I agree that you want to keep a few back for a collected edition so that those who have been loyal fans up to the release have a reason to get the collected edition of short stories (since they will be your early-bird buyers able to generate early reviews and sales at launch or soon after).

It sounds like a very sound and sensible plan to use if you've already got the stories ready to go.

ALSO be sure to have a website/blog/facebook page up and running before your magazine stories publish so that your details as presented in the magazine(s) can have your contact details (website) already there. So that interested people can quickly find your site; read of when the next book is coming out and remain interested. If you don't do this you run the risk that early fans might find little to nothing about you online and thus will eventually forget about you.

I would say if you pick well respected magazines with big readerships then its an excellent form of pre-release marketing to release short stories. Heck back before digital publishing it was one of the ways to getting attention from a big publisher - to have short stories win awards and gain readerships.

I agree that you want to keep a few back for a collected edition so that those who have been loyal fans up to the release have a reason to get the collected edition of short stories (since they will be your early-bird buyers able to generate early reviews and sales at launch or soon after).

It sounds like a very sound and sensible plan to use if you've already got the stories ready to go.

ALSO be sure to have a website/blog/facebook page up and running before your magazine stories publish so that your details as presented in the magazine(s) can have your contact details (website) already there. So that interested people can quickly find your site; read of when the next book is coming out and remain interested. If you don't do this you run the risk that early fans might find little to nothing about you online and thus will eventually forget about you.
Thanks. I will obviously try for well respected magazines :) I don't have all the stories ready yet, but working on it. Can't quite decide if I should have them all ready to go as you say - or do both at the same time: Write and at the same time try to get the stories in a magazine - and when I have enough (10 - 15?) put them all together?!

I would say that whilst approaching early is good it would be foolish to approach a magazine and gain acceptance without anything to actually give them that's finished. Closer to the finish of a story I would start; you might also ask them for their typical submission to turn around time to give you an idea how long it takes to go from application to print.

As for how any I wouldn't get too extreme; one or two finished stories is all you need to begin. You might also find that its hard to push them out magazine issue after issue. Though all depends how fast you are and how the magazines are for repeat publications (study backissues and the authors and see how often even big names get printed over and over in succession

I would say that whilst approaching early is good it would be foolish to approach a magazine and gain acceptance without anything to actually give them that's finished. Closer to the finish of a story I would start; you might also ask them for their typical submission to turn around time to give you an idea how long it takes to go from application to print.

As for how any I wouldn't get too extreme; one or two finished stories is all you need to begin. You might also find that its hard to push them out magazine issue after issue. Though all depends how fast you are and how the magazines are for repeat publications (study backissues and the authors and see how often even big names get printed over and over in succession
Yeah - agree on the bit about pushing out issue after issue - I will have to find a new magazine for each story, I think! And that sounds quite hard... But thanks!

So by the sound of it - self publishing was not a disadvantage when you wanted to find a publisher...?
And yes - look forward to hearing about your experiences regarding anthology! You will be done before me :D
In my case, I had the publisher first but chose to self publish Inish Carraig. I've since been picked up by another publisher (whilst still working with my first - the books are in very differing markets) so it was no barrier at all. More and more writers mix the two platforms according to the project.

In my case, I had the publisher first but chose to self publish Inish Carraig. I've since been picked up by another publisher (whilst still working with my first - the books are in very differing markets) so it was no barrier at all. More and more writers mix the two platforms according to the project.
(y)

Regarding author website, I am thinking I will wait until I have more than just one short story... I am also writing a fantasy book - now being read by another author (who's busy - so its taking a while... :unsure: - but obvioulsy great to geet feedback from someone who knows what they are talking about :D) So my plan regarding website was to wait until that is out too...?!

Regarding author website, I am thinking I will wait until I have more than just one short story... I am also writing a fantasy book - now being read by another author (who's busy - so its taking a while... :unsure: - but obvioulsy great to geet feedback from someone who knows what they are talking about :D) So my plan regarding website was to wait until that is out too...?!

You also know there is a critiques board here if you want feedback - you can post up to 1500 words at a time.

You also know there is a critiques board here if you want feedback - you can post up to 1500 words at a time.
Yes thanks - not sure how to do that regarding a book? The book is written - has been for a while. And now I am waiting for feedback. Then I will start approaching publishing houses in Denmark - the book is written in Danish since I live in Denmark - but my plan is to translate it into English. One big question is of course - when? Once I have a Danish publisher - or simultaneously? Now I ended up asking 2 things at the same time :confused:

Yes thanks - not sure how to do that regarding a book? The book is written - has been for a while. And now I am waiting for feedback. Then I will start approaching publishing houses in Denmark - the book is written in Danish since I live in Denmark - but my plan is to translate it into English. One big question is of course - when? Once I have a Danish publisher - or simultaneously? Now I ended up asking 2 things at the same time :confused:

The crits board gives general feedback that you might be able to use but needs to be before you publish. I think, if you're at the stage of beta reading it's probably a good time around now.

I don't know a lot about foreign translation rights. I'll tag @ctg who, if he's around, might be able to help - his first language is Finnish but he writes his book in English as the market in Finland was limited, iirc. But I'd have thought the thing to do would be to get the publisher first, if you plan the first sale in Danish and then look to seek a foreign rights agent.
In fact, that would be a great question to ask under #askagent.

Great thread, folks! Currently, I'm working on shorts just to get my skills built up. I want to shop
Some to magazines. Do you suggest starting with the big ones then working down if (when) they don't accept a story? Is it bad for your reputation if you make it all the way down to the rags? Does it not matter if you're not too ambitious? How should I play this?

Great thread, folks! Currently, I'm working on shorts just to get my skills built up. I want to shop
Some to magazines. Do you suggest starting with the big ones then working down if (when) they don't accept a story? Is it bad for your reputation if you make it all the way down to the rags? Does it not matter if you're not too ambitious? How should I play this?

Largely up to you. I tend to go with where I think is a good fit for it and, yep, work my way down. More and more now I write them for particular open submission owindows .