Is Short Story Writing a Viable Route to getting a publishing deal

marklord

Traditionally in SF writing short stories for the big magazines has been seen as a route to then getting novel length publishing deals. Is that the case still? Should someone starting out write short stories first and then move to novels once they build up pro market magazine sales? Or is it better just to start with novels?

I'm trying to figure out if publishers still look at a short story publishing CV when making decisions or not?

I don't know how publishers look at it, but it just sounds unlikely someone could write a sellable novel without training on short stories first. It's like a developmental stage for an author, like learning to walk before you can run a marathon..

I don't know how publishers look at it, but it just sounds unlikely someone could write a sellable novel without training on short stories first. It's like a developmental stage for an author, like learning to walk before you can run a marathon..

It depends on the writer. I started with a trilogy.... ;)

In terms of the other - short story publication credits will help your writing cv, but an agent or publisher will only look at that if they like the look of your longer work. So, shorts do no harm, spread your name and work, but won't bring in much money, are hard to crack the market of and don't replace an engaging longer work when subbing.

As ever, there are no rules. :)

it just sounds unlikely someone could write a sellable novel without training on short stories first. It's like a developmental stage for an author, like learning to walk before you can run a marathon..

Short stories and novels are not at all the same thing, though. A short story is not just a small novel, nor is it the practice stage before you can take on bigger things. The form is not the same, the ideas are not the same type, and the thinking required to build one is not necessarily what's needed to build the other. Many people write nothing but short stories and are brilliant at it, and many people write nothing but novels and are brilliant at that.

I doubt you would get a publishing deal based solely on short stories. They might be evidence of writing ability - and certainly relevant on your CV if published - but you would need to have completed a novel to be considered for publication.

Short stories are great for honing your writing skills, but the leap to novel writing is surprisingly colossal (I was surprised!).

Short stories and novels are not at all the same thing, though. A short story is not just a small novel, nor is it the practice stage before you can take on bigger things. The form is not the same, the ideas are not the same type, and the thinking required to build one is not necessarily what's needed to build the other. Many people write nothing but short stories and are brilliant at it, and many people write nothing but novels and are brilliant at that.
Technical stuff is the same though-writing dialogs, settings, keeping pace, etc. If you can't get ir right on smaller scale , it's even harder to get it right in a novel. Anyway, just an opinion. As Jo said, there're no rules...

It's like a developmental stage for an author, like learning to walk before you can run a marathon..
If you can't get ir right on smaller scale how can you get it right in a novel?

Yes and no. It's really more like the difference between a sprint and a marathon. The running required for one is no good for the other. But you do have to be able to walk before you can do either.

No, not directly. Possibly indirectly (a Decider might have come across/ liked a short story you wrote, or are a fan of the mag you wrote for, and are therefore more open to reading your submission)

Anyway, it's kinda the wrong question.

The real question is 'will writing short stories improve my writing skills'. To which the answer is...probably.

Main thing is to keep on truckin.'

ETA. Well it seems I've time to pontificate, so here goes.

The biggest issue for a new writer , im(h)o, is that they're essentially working in a critical vacuum. Sure, Mum loves you work, and your friends well, those that have a clue (usually none) love it also.
But that means bugger all. In fact, being 'loved' by the uninformed non-critical may actually be of disservice to the new writer.
So, this is where the wonderful, and growing world of short story publishers, currently enjoying a huge rebirth and expansion ( due to technology in most part methinks) can be hugely beneficial. These publishers range from the non-pro to the very pro, but what they all have in common is a/ appreciation of stories and most importantly b/ they're COMPLETE STRANGERS! So, they've nothing to gain by being nice to you, in fact, they've more to lose than gain, if they judge you on anything but the work.

Yes, online or real critiques are very useful , very very useful, especially if you get the right ones.

But...someone who puts their time, money and reputation on the line (looking at you @Glitch ;) :)) for someone they do not have any connection with other than 'the work', well that's pretty special, and hugely beneficial for a new writer.

In short, short stories are , to me, a very important element in the 'becoming a writer process', honing your skills, which will benefit a writer in every way, INCLUDING getting a novel published.

Makes sense?

Last edited:
Even if publishers are not looking at it a segment of the reading market is. If you can get your short stories in to popular short story collections (either magazine style or published anthologies - esp if the latter have big named published authors contributing as well) then you can at least start to get the market aware that you exist. Couple that with a website (because if those interested can't find anything on you they will quickly forget you); possible blogging/tweeting/facebooking or other social media and youv'e got the starting of your own marketing.

If it works you can also lead into your major work by seeding a few short stories that provide some prologue info or otherwise build a little of your world. A taster not required to read but which already gets some people interested in reading more of your work. Such people might well form the foundation of your early reviews on sites like Good Reads and Amazon

Oh, also, as a more practical response to the OP, some short story publishers also publish novels...
Not saying there's gonna be an inevitable Crossover, but it is useful to have an 'in' in some cases...

Many people write nothing but short stories and are brilliant at it, and many people write nothing but novels and are brilliant at that.
To be fair, most people aren't good with either form, and probably for the same reasons....

;):)

Thanks for the responses - sorry for not responding earlier! It certainly seems to be a good idea to write short stories as they're a shorter way of finishing a story, but not the only route. I certainly haven't mastered either format, but at least with short stories it's quicker to finish a short story and move on. But one of the difficulties I have is that each time you're starting from scratch almost with characters/world-building etc.

I'm kind of in agreement with Stuart here. For me, shorts were essential in honing my writing style, technique, and improving my confidence. Essentially, short stories are a "safe space" to experiment, try new things, without the high-stakes investment that comes with a novel of 100K words and which takes the best part of a year. So from a writerly perspective they've been invaluable for me.

As to whether they are directly influential in helping getting a publishing deal, I'm not sure. For one thing, short stories are absolutely not moneyspinners. They make pennies. When I got my deal, it wasn't on the strength of my writing CV, which included a couple published shorts, but on the strength of the main product I submitted, which was my novel. Now, I can say with confidence that the novel I submitted benefitted from all the shorts I'd written previously to it (and some which were written concurrently), but I don't think it would swing a publisher's mind one way or the other. The only thing they'll be concerned with is whether the novel is good enough.

I can't really comment on the truism of shorts leading to getting published, however, I'd be careful in conflating the strictures of a novel and a short.

I can bang out a short in a month or less, at least 3 drafts and be more or less happy to send it to betas at that stage. My shorts tend to be between 5-12k.

On the other hand I can wrestle over 1.2k on my novel in a fortnight. It's much harder for me to write on a novel than a short.

Often, shorts give you a taste and a sense of loss or melancholy, without explanation, are often concept-driven or tone-driven. And whilst it's perfectly true that novels can also do that, they tend to focus on a tidier end, or resolution.

I started writing shorts because my ideas were small, or idiosyncratic.

pH

ETA: Absolutely dreadful typos!

Last edited:
@Phyrebrat con-whating the what now?

:D

But yes, they're different. But they do share some important components, not least of which is keeping a reader, reading. ;) :)

Traditionally in SF writing short stories for the big magazines has been seen as a route to then getting novel length publishing deals. Is that the case still?

It hasn't been true for at least 30 or 40 years, if it was ever true at all.

On the other hand, getting a novel published is a good way to get your short fiction published.

As for improving your writing, all that matters is that you put in the time and effort; it doesn't matter if you spend it all on writing and rewriting a novel or three or if you put that same amount of time and effort into dozens (or hundreds) of short stories. Or if you write some of each.

What does matter is that you write the stories—whatever their length—that you most want to tell. That is what will fuel your energy and imagination and produce the dedication to put in the necessary work.

Yes, well said Teresa. That continuous use and expansion of one's imagination (through telling the stories you want to tell) is the real key to success.

ETA. Just to add, and to expand upon T's point, it's all pretty much about telling stories - stories you want to tell, - stories you'd like to hear.

Publications is great, especially if money from it it allows you to spend more time writing, bu really, the engine that can drive a writer most effectively along this desolate road, is love of what you do. Nothing else.

I'll go so far as to make this pronouncement.

NO FICTION WRITER WRITES FOR MONEY.

no matter what they think.

So, there. I've said it.

Last edited:
I believe it helped me. Firstly I did my learning on something like 20 short stories before getting serious about a novel. Secondly having been paid for my fiction there was the reassurance that I'm not crazy seeking to sell a novel. Third the Hon Mentions in Years' Best anthos gave me something to put in the query letter that I believe resulted in a few extra manuscript requests.
A friend of mine was approached by an agent on the basis of a story reprint in a Years' Best antho.
The caveat is that short stories will be most helpful if they appear in market agents/editors respect and the competition there is as fierce as getting an agent.