Do you think there's a market for space fantasy?

Kieran Song

Author. Sorcerer. Overlord.
i've finished a first draft of a Science fantasy/space fantasy book. Basically I'm describing it as Harry Potter meets Star Wars. But I realize this is a cross genre...I.e people who read scifi might not care for magic and vice versa.

I've been inspired recently by Brian K. Vaughn's saga series and the seemless blend of scifi and Magic.

So what are your thoughts on science fantasy?

First time I experienced space fantasy was TSR's Spelljammer for Dungeons and Dragons. I only somewhat liked it. For the most part, I don't care for the mixed genre, but as Jo says, it's an established genre, and when done right, can be a fun read!

I'm querying a science fantasy (but not space fantasy) project right now. Doesn't seem to have hurt or helped me either way.

Definitely pitch it as 'for fans of Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples' "Saga" series' though, that's a killer pitch! But make sure to include Fiona, without her Saga wouldn't be what it is.

science fantasy?
It's popular when well done.
Crystal Singer a classic. Many Anne McCaffery are in that sub-genre
Anne Maxwell's "Dancer" series
Dune is "science fantasy" / "Space Opera"
Psychic powers (even if not called such) is more common than outright magic called magic by characters.

In some the "fantasy" element isn't central, in some the reader is expected to think it's "science" (Peter Hamilton, Iain M. Banks) and it's very central.

Definitely pitch it as 'for fans of Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples' "Saga" series' though, that's a killer pitch! But make sure to include Fiona, without her Saga wouldn't be what it is.

I agree, Fiona staples is integral to this medium of story telling!

Back