Aliens Turn Up, We're All Friends Now. Or: Hug Me, There's ET.

Tower75

Hello, Chrons.

I already know this question doesn't really have a proper answer, but I thought it might be fun to discuss.

I've read a couple of novels and seen a few films that tackle the idea that aliens, or Big Nasties of some description, invade Earth and all the nations of the Earth put aside their differences and fight the aforementioned Big Nasties together in a unified front of Humanity, probably to the music of ACDC or something; these stories usually end with America saving the world with tactical applications of 'Merica-ness and Patriotism single handed while all the other nations of the world swoon, but that's not the point here.

Now, here's what I'm thinking, would the nations of the Earth really put aside their centuries old, hardwired tribal nature and fight aloneside each other? My opinion would be a gritty, in your face, no.

Okay, we've got NATO for example, but countries technically don't have to do what NATO says, and let's be honest, if something as serious as an alien invasion happened, the governments of the world would be looking to them and theirs.

Can you see France taking orders from America? Or America taking orders from well, anyone? Or heck, let's go to the polar opposite, can you suddenly see India and Pakistan fight together? Or South Korea and North Korea suddenly join forces? Russia will suddenly shake hands with the West and we'll all be buddies and fight this thing together?; to quote one of my favourite TV doctors, Dr. Cox from Scrubs, when discussing what people are: "Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ******* coated bastards with ******* filling."

I only made it two series in before giving up, but when I used to watch The Walking Dead my wife would say things like, "I don't get it, why when you've got a zombie apocalypse would you bother fighting each other? You'd work together." Please see above quote.

In my heart of hearts I'd like to think that Humanity will grow up one day, but I doubt it.

What sayeth you?

I think if aliens did just turn up, there would be a good chance that people would bond together against the bigger threat. An external enemy is a classic for binding together disparate groups -- for giving people a sense of their country as separate from other countries, for example, even if people in Lancashire and people in Yorkshire (for example) don't otherwise get on.

A clever alien race would make sure to divide people before they came by befriending or pretending to befriend one of the large power blocs, and sowing suspicion among the others about who could be trusted. Or make a real (if temporary) alliance with the biggest potential threat, maybe a bit like the Nazi-Soviet pact.

Can you see France taking orders from America?

Um, NATO? :)

I wouldn't see every nation coming together under an external threat - but I would expect most. But IMO it's proven historically that peoples who share a common enemy can put aside greater degrees of difference to co-operate. As the saying goes, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend".

The problem is most stories would then end at the defeat of that enemy, rather than tell the tragedy of how such an co-operation would end up unravelling, becoming corrupted, and just plain abused through petty personal interests.

I don't think all nations would band together. I think there'd be various continental coalitions; but not a worldwide friendship circle where everyone held hands and sang kumbayah.

Um, NATO? :)

I wouldn't see every nation coming together under an external threat - but I would expect most. But IMO it's proven historically that peoples who share a common enemy can put aside greater degrees of difference to co-operate. As the saying goes, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend".

The problem is most stories would then end at the defeat of that enemy, rather than tell the tragedy of how such an co-operation would end up unravelling, becoming corrupted, and just plain abused through petty personal interests.

Yes, but France - militarily speaking - has always done her own thing. Hell, France left NATO in 1966, or something, and didn't come back into the fold until 2009/10.

I think everyone would fight a common enemy, but I don't think they would fight as a united force.

Look at history. look at the World Wars.

There are some limits that may have to be exceeded to bring everyone into the picture. (How long did it take for the US to declare itself actively involved in world war II.)

There is a probability that some may side with the aliens; unless the aliens are just too far alien to make that even a workable hypothesis.

The question might be more one of will they band together soon enough to make a difference or might they end with too little too late.

What if they show up and offer us peace; their technology and space itself-would that unite us or could that lead us to early self destruction.

What if they offered us blankets; contaminated with deadly virus.

Last edited:
Cuddly aliens are a nice idea but sadly this may not be the case with some of them.
There is a very good short story called "The Dance Of The Changer And Three", I'm afraid the name of the author escapes me for now.
It makes the point that some aliens are so alien that no matter how hard you try you can't fully understand them.
Also try "The Monsters" by Robert Sheckley, you my think you understand them until they do some thing which to you is horrible.
But from the alien point of view is perfectly normal and natural.
Star faring exploring/trading aliens might have a more flexible mind set, so possible would be easier to communicate with.
Such as the ones in Clifford D. Simak's "The Big Front Yard"!

There is a series written by Harry Turtledove, the World War Series, where aliens attack during WW II.

I think it depicts a reasonable response by the different factions/alliances and nations. Yes, the humanity in general recognizes the one alien invader/enemy, but cooperation and sharing of resources/information/technology isn't always done, fully or willingly. Old prejudices and rivalries do exist, and mankind struggles to overcome them, even in the face of the threat.

I don't think if there was an invader, all nations would unify 100%. You'd hope so, in a way, but I think it's unrealistic to expect.

We have precedents in history of small numbers of cunning invaders defeating much larger and more numerous opponents by exploiting existing resentments and playing them off against one another. Think of Cortez conquering the Aztec empire with a few hundred Spaniards. The English taking over much of India one kingdom at a time. Nobody thought to band together to face the interlopers until it was much too late, if at all.

Of course, those invaders were dealing with other humans. Hard to say how we earthlings would react to another race arriving from the stars, presumably with dramatically different appearance and behaviour. Our disgust instincts would make the kind of collusion the English and Spaniards exploited in India and the New world difficult to pull off.

How about.... ONE ET ship... here on Earth... running everything for 1000s of years, an no-one the wiser...then they find out... and nothing changes. Believable. )

Seen written on a toilet wall "Is there intelligent life on Earth?".
Underneath the reply was "Yes, but am only visiting !"

Back