Amazing analysis of Miyazaki's films and writing...

It prompted me to watch Castle in the Sky again, which was all to the good. I hadn't watched it for several years, and now I'm more experienced as a writer, I can see how well-plotted it is.

What surprised me was how much extra dialogue was in the English dub/subtitles compared with the Japanese (and French) language tracks. Almost every time the characters could be seen but their mouths weren't clearly visible (to avoid lip-synch issues) they were gabbing away. Some of the inserted lines were quite funny, many were pointless, and a couple went counter to the obvious intention of the animators.

It ties in with the film in the OP pointing out how Miyazaki relies on quieter moments for his effects when western animation doesn't, and it raised the question in my mind of whether English-speakers are instinctively inclined to just not let their characters shut the hell up.

It ties in with the film in the OP pointing out how Miyazaki relies on quieter moments for his effects when western animation doesn't, and it raised the question in my mind of whether English-speakers are instinctively inclined to just not let their characters shut the hell up.

'Quieter moments' is more of a Japanese film thing than a Miyazaki thing.
He is one of the all-time great film makers.

'Quieter moments' is more of a Japanese film thing than a Miyazaki thing.
He is one of the all-time great film makers.

You got that right. If you have ever seen the actual original Japanese "Angels Egg" which is damn near unobtainable in any form in the west after an American studio butchered it without permission and its creator (quite rightly) got a bit cross. That movie has a scene in it where you watch the fire die out. That's it. For something like 27 minutes. Powerful stuff.

And on Miyazaki, totally agreed, greatest animated film maker in history. The man has always been a bit of a hero of mine. Every film is a favourite.