They seriously need to make a "Create Your Own Original Trilogy" Blu-Ray

Eric S. Kim

Okay, so it's obvious that it'll take a long time for the unaltered theatrical versions of the Original Trilogy to be released on Blu-Ray, or on streaming (unless you don't count the "Despecialized" version that's available for torrent). But until then, here's an idea that might be useful.

As you know, there are several versions of the Original Trilogy: the original VHS, the 1997 Special Edition, the 2004 DVD version, and the 2011 Blu-Ray version. There are many changes, as well as brand new ones specifically for the 2004 DVD and 2011 Blu-Ray. It can be quite hard to decide which ones we prefer.

So how about this? Why don't WE decide which changes we want to add in and which ones we leave out? Disney can release a Blu-Ray (or a streaming service) that not only will have the official original theatrical versions of the OT, but also a DIY mode where you can make your personal edits. In other words, you can add in any of the new changes that you want.

Let's say that the Blu-Ray/Streaming gives you the original three films for your own editing enjoyment. You can keep the original Mos Eisley scenes (complete with Non-CGI monsters and Han shooting Greedo first) in ANH, while deciding to insert the newly altered Alderann/Death Star explosions. Or you can keep the original Lapti Nek song and the original tongue-free sarlacc in ROTJ, while deciding to add in the new "Victory Celebration" near the end with either Sebastian Shaw or Hayden Christensen starring as Anakin.

When you're done with your edits, you can save it on your Blu-Ray or on your computer. Disney can let you save up to two different versions of the OT that you have originally created for yourself. I can imagine, however, that it can take some time to save and load.

I know that it might not happen, but I can still pretend that this Blu-Ray addition could be plausible in the future. In the meantime, I, like every other SW fan on the planet, eagerly awaits the Blu-Ray/Streaming release of the original theatrical versions.