the abominable bride

Oh glad someone did.
Great acting, very polished...all good.

However

It lost something for me in it's lack of 21st century wizardry. This is integral to this particular series of adaptations and, although the idea of a victorian setting is understandable, it just didn't float my boat.

I agree that part of the appeal of this Sherlock has been the modern setting. As a Londoner, I recognise my own manor. The Victorian setting made it just like so many other adaptations. Also, the venue for the plot, a mansion in the country, also seemed too traditional. The Guy Ritchie films have given us a violent yet vibrant Victorian London, with life in all its sordid forms. The setting for his films are also part of their appeal.

Once Sherlock fell asleep for the second time on the plane I was confused, and the plot seemed to drift.

I thought this was the worst Sherlock episode yet.
the show has been going downhill since the 2nd series. Its a shame, but understandable. The first series was so new and fresh and exciting and a great different spin on the characters but now it has become somewhat trapped within its own brilliance.
Really disappointed with this episode.

I quite enjoyed watching it but it was ultimately disappointing. The acting was as good as ever but I just found the whole story confusing. Also, as the whole case turned out to just be going on in Sherlock's drug fuelled dream I found it very unsatisfying. It's silly, I know, as the whole thing is just fiction anyway but to find the whole thing was just a dream was somehow different and disappointing.

We now know for certain** that Moriarty is dead, and by his own hand (with a gun), which is progress.

** - Assuming that the person we saw was the real Moriarty.... (After all, he didn't stay in the shadows for very long, and became quite a public figure, i.e. not very Moriarty-like at all.)

As an illustration of how Sherlock's mind processes, sorts and connects information it was fun and interesting. To find we ended up roughly where we started was somewhat disappointing, but on the whole I enjoyed it and in no small part due to Cumberbatch and Freeman and the continued exploration of the Holmes/Watson relationship, how Holmes views it, and to the sidelong commentary on them and the adventures.

Randy M.

An interesting and fun episode - but somewhat disappointing that it didn't really add anything, as much as prepare us for a new season.

Also - Sherlock makes the point that Moriarty is dead because no one can survive such a gun shot wound. And yet, the entire mystery about the bride was about someone using trickery to make such a gunshot wound appear to be something that it wasn't.

Considering the plot gymnastics to make Sherlock survive the fall, my lesson from this episode was actually that Moriarty wasn't dead.

Considering the plot gymnastics to make Sherlock survive the fall, my lesson from this episode was actually that Moriarty wasn't dead.
I had exactly the same suspicion and, if correct, I consider it tacky in the extreme. Somewhat worse, in fact, than my view of the whole drawn out mystery of how Holmes survived his fall. The latter was in my opinion pure tacky marketing and the former would be just as bad.

I enjoyed the episode since it went back to the era of the original books but still kept some of the charm of this modern day reincarnation