Fancy a critique by Mark Lawrence?

What did you send him? Was it the blind girl one or something earlier? You don't have to say. Just curious.

Hmmmm... without coming over pessimistic, would he critique a good submission? After all it wouldn't necessarily make a good blog post would it.

Edit: unless he turned it on its head and expanded all the good points of the entry.

Hmmmm... without coming over pessimistic, would he critique a good submission? After all it wouldn't necessarily make a good blog post would it.

Well, the first one is up and he mentions he went through a few different pages looking for one he would have something to say about. Which makes sense; after all, it's more of an illustrative thing, isn't is? In the style of query shark? Very interesting, though, to see what sort of things he picks up on. I'm always fascinated when I dip into our crits section to see what sort of things bother different people.

Personally, I'd like to see both.

It would be helpful for his next blog to be about good piece of work with similar explanations of why parts of it work so well.

Good luck!

That was a good crit he did on his blog, I thought. Constructive and helpful.

Well I've tossed something in from the WIP - even if Mr Lawrence tears it to shreds publicly (which I don't think he'd do given the nature of the first crit posting - he was firm but fair IMO) I'd be glad for the feedback. It's a different perspective, which is always good. Thanks for posting, Millymollymo :)

Personally, I don't like being beaten up. At least not by guys. I've taken my licks over the years so I'm not volunteering for more. Okay, so I'm a wimp.

That's another good one, and looking at another way people can improve their work (cutting extraneous description and making their characters care about what they're doing). These are going to be a useful resource.

That feels like old hat critiquing that we have seen on here a million times doesn't it? I do almost feel like we have some sort of hidden, secret wizard critique group here that allows us to know many of these things already. That doesn't mean I know how to write, but God forbid if I even head hop again, or tell instead of showing (within reason)

I will keep an eye on these though just for fun, and see if I can learn something new and sparkly