1000th Post! New WIP - 1st Chapter - Man O'War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Jones

Der Vater absurder Geschichten
Supporter
After my first few days of posting here, I thought: this place is good, and useful and friendly to boot. Maybe I'll stick around.

So I did.

I'm working on a new novel, tentatively titled Man O'War. It's still pretty immature, but I'm reasonably excited about it.

Here's Chapter 1 (about 1100 words). It's first draft, so I expect there to be a couple of glitches here and there. But I'd like to know whether or not it roughly works, what doesn't work, and if there's enough intrigue to keep people reading.

I look forward to seeing what people make of it!

~

Chapter 1 – Dhiraj

Dhiraj knew the rain stopped this distance from the coast, but it still made him uneasy. It wasn’t natural to be without the rain. He jerked the throttle down into a low rumble, and his seine skiff iDiviner slowed to a crawl. Even in the wheelhouse he was soaked, so he wiped the greasy sleeve of his raincoat across his face. In the darkness its garish yellow became dirty mustard. Once iDiviner had slowed to a halt he switched on the floodlight and pointed it portside, bathing the water in electric moonlight. He hopped out of the wheelhouse and clambered down. The North Sea’s cold whip lashed his face, taking the breath from him, but he bore it, looking upon the gentle horizon. Even under the floodlight, he couldn’t see the purse seine net, but he could imagine it, swelling with bounty just beneath the surface. He smiled in spite of the cold; no, because of the cold. The cold brought them swarming. He’d bring a bumper harvest back home tonight. That little line, invisible in this blinding blackness, demarked his offshore empire. Tomorrow it might be somewhere else, and the day after somewhere else still, but it always warmed him to know a little piece of this earth would be his, if only for a short while. He headed aft and threw his weight behind the power block lever, cranking it into life. Somewhere out of sight the power block wheezed and creaked, dragging the chain back inside the hull, closing the dragnet. Odd spots of rain floated in the air, reassuring him of the shoreline’s presence somewhere beyond his eyeline.

It was a few minutes before the bounty began to show at the surface. Dhiraj grinned. Not everyone could see the little beauties, but his was a trained eye. The slightest trace of a tiny light blue shadow quivered below the water’s break. Then another. Another. Soon hundreds, then thousands of the little jellyfish shadows throbbed ever so gently with the thrum and swim of the current. When he shut off the power block the dragnet nodded up and down agreeably just off portside, and he swung around to clamber back up to the wheelhouse.

When at the top he engaged the throttle, took another look at the dragnet under lights, and cursed. He could see a piece of plastic caught in the net; a crumpled corner poking above the water offensively. He shook his head and cursed. Could be a plastic bag. Murderous bloody things, he thought. He irritably threw the throttle back into neutral. He’d have to fish it out before some of the fish suffocated in it; or worse, he’d sell on the catch with the bag in, only for it to become part of the food chain. That’d happened before to friends of his, and it was the responsibility of the fisherman to make sure that didn’t happen. Once on deck he slid the stepladder along the gunwale, grabbed a pole hook and climbed over the side. The sea splashed around his ankles, and the blue shadows lapped at his thick black boots like pet dogs. He reached out, straining, and hooked the plastic bag. He yanked it towards him, but when it didn’t move he almost hauled himself into the water, and would have fallen if he hadn’t scrabbled back to the ladder in time. Bloody hell. If there was one thing worse than a plastic bag, it was a full plastic bag. God knows what was in it. Cursing anew, he hooked his elbow around the stepladder rung for greater stability and reached again. This time he gave it a firm pull with the hook, and the little finger of material started to rotate and rise to the surface: first a small, crinkly triangle, then bigger. Not a disposable plastic bag; thicker than that; a vacuum-packed bag, large, getting larger as the material bobbed to the surface, pushing the blue moon jellies out of the way, eager to break the surface. He saw something white and translucent inside, difficult to discern amongst the waves and jellies, but then it spun about quickly, catching the glare of the floodlight.

When the face emerged from the water enclosed in the plastic Dhiraj cried so loudly he shocked himself, grabbing the ladder tightly with both hands and dropping the pole in the water with a limp splash. He was shivering, and his eyes were blurred with water. Had he been shivering already from the cold? And had his eyes been filled with rainwater before, or was this all new? He pressed his forehead to the freezing cold bulk of iDiviner’s hull and closed his eyes. When he opened them, the ship was still there. He turned his head to the water and breathed slowly, trying to slow his heartbeat.

Sh*t. Sh*t sh*t sh*t.

He turned. The body was still there, serene and ghostly over the bioluminescence of the moon jellies, partially obscured by the glare of the floodlight bouncing off the plastic wrapping. His breathing had calmed now. He hadn’t seen a dead body since his Aunt Kiri’s funeral, but back then the sullen teenager in him had been repulsed by the rituals, the flowers, the incense, his aunt’s puffy body, shiny with exuberantly-applied makeup, and the whole damn need to structure something so profound as human grief. He didn’t feel that way now. To his great surprise, he found himself muttering, “supreme light, lead us from truth to untruth, from darkness to light and from death to immortality.” He probably hadn’t said the words since that very funeral as Aunt Kiri was consumed by the crematorium’s fire. But Aunt Kiri had died of a heart attack – too much ghee and whiskey – whereas who could say what had happened to this poor wretch, wrapped up in plastic and dumped in the sea? The wrongness of it all hit him about the head like a jackhammer, over and over.

Dhiraj shook the whys and wherefores away. He couldn’t think about how it had got there, or who might be responsible. That wasn’t his problem. His job was to fish it out, and hope his catch wasn’t too contaminated. The body had rolled onto its front, its nakedness obvious yet indistinct. He stepped down into the water, picked up the pole and reached across to the body. His hands were still trembling, and apprehension still hung about it, but he mastered it, and after a few attempts the body was within touching distance. As he pulled it close and lifted the head out of the water, his distaste lessened somewhat. The face was calm, peaceful even. It didn’t look distressed, or as though it had suffered any violence. It almost looked asleep, melting Dhiraj’s fears away.

But when it opened its eyes Dhiraj screamed and lost his grip, and the sea greeted him with an icy kiss.

~

For a chapter 1, you ideally want to open with a strong, hooky sentence, then introduce context, theme, and conflict as soon as possible. And a main character that the story is going to hang from.

What you've got here is a relaxed-paced piece that spends a long time before it gets anywhere. When it finishes, it comes across as a prologue

There's a lot that's fine with the writing, though there were a couple of instances where I stumbled - not least the opening that focuses on the lack of rain near to the coast, implying that this is a major issue, only to find that it doesn't seem to be.

Even if you kept this as a prologue, I'd suggest trying to make it more hooky from the start, ensure context is there quickly, and that you give Dhiraj something to struggle with - what's at stake here for him? Even secondary characters can benefit from motivations.

The issue with the plastic bag doesn't convince me personally, either - do fishermen normally stop work to pull plastic bags from the sea? I stand to be corrected, but IMO you can introduce the face/head in a more atmospheric way - perhaps he mistakes the head for a plastic bag in the first place, but something doesn't sit right, so it nags at his attention and curiosity.

Either way, not a bad start - and ideals are ideals. But I would certainly recommend you consider them more carefully, to help you make your story the strongest that you can make it.

2c.

<<demarked>>/Demarcated??
<<eyeline>>??:DLine of sight?
have some misgivings about "limp splash"
You've got me interested,but not because of the revival of the undead,but because of the
fishing for bioluminescent jellyfish
It could be a fraction tighter.if you know what i mean.Tweak it a little.I want to feel the cold
North Sea spray on my face
all in all,a good start

Last edited:
I agree with much of what Brian said - it's slow starting. Would you consider chopping the first two paragraphs and tightening the third? For me, it should start with the face in the bag, perhaps with a hint of why it's so important for Dhiraj to risk his life fishing out plastic bags in the first place (although that could come later).

The latter section was too good for me to remember to nit-pick. I planned to go back and read a second time, but my heart couldn't cope with the shock of the eyes opening twice! :D

I liked it. Some points:

• I was confused by the comment about the rain near to the coast and the subsequent use of the word 'skiff' and 'iDiviner'. My train of thought was as follows:- The coastal rain threw me because I didn't know if you meant rain inland of the coast, or seaward. The use of skiff didn't help me work it out because although it's usually a boat, it can also mean craft and for some reason the mention of rain being uncharacteristic in this place made me think we were in a post-apocalyptic or dystopian future, thus the skiff could be a flying craft. Then the name iDiviner seemed so rooted in early 21st Century and Apple products, I didn't know what my frame of reference was.
  • As soon as he starts running around the skiff and talking about purse seine nets I knew exactly were we were, though.
  • I liked the use of Indian names for the job and part of the country that you had chosen; it added a level of authenticity for me, especially the cultural mixing of whiskey and ghee.
  • I'd need a clearer explanation as to why the jellyfish would be tainted by the plastic bag merely being present in the net.
  • I wondered if a gaff and a man leaning out over the gunwale would have enough strength to even turn the bag slightly of a wet inert body.
  • There's a really nice image of the body being lit by the bio-luminescence of the jellyfish, but I feel like I did the work imagining that. I think you could really cash in with some brief choice descriptions about pallid flesh in eerie light. To that end I'd be inclined to ciut the line about the floodlight glaring on the plastic.
  • (You'll probably roll your eyes at this suggestion, bearing in mind my genre bias, but...) You have a potentially scary scene here but he feels very in control, pragmatic and unthreatened. If the floodlights were to cut out because the skiff is a bit of an old banger, just as the bag is coming clear, you could then focus on the eerie light illuminating the body. Then, when the eyes flick open, it'd be more potent (to my sensibilities).
  • Speaking of the eyes; I really liked that part.

Overall I like the setup and writing. I think you could be a bit more frugal with the opening paragraphs, and introduce some threat like running out of fuel or time, or the ship taking on water. Something to make his ordeal in the net have higher stakes. But, my take on this is yes I liked it, yes it offers intrigue, and yes I'd read on.

pH

I think I tend to agree with what's been said.
The opening couple of paragraphs felt like they were 1k words in themsleves, a slow, ponderous look at the life of a jellyfisher(??). Not that I didn't like them, they are written pretty well, but to keep them in I would suggest breaking them up (you use a lot of long paragraphs, which dont help the lethargic pace) and chopping some of the unnecessary verbs, 'He hopped out of the wheelhouse and clambered down' was one that stood in my reading, a bit blow-by-blow.

in contrast, sighting the plastic bag to opening eyes felt much shorter, quicker, and that's what had me hooked (Ha, a pun!). I agree that this shoud probably be your opening, sighting the head, or as Brian suggested, sighting a bag that isn't quite right. Everything else from the first two and parts of the third can come in drips throughout.

Try to cement the context quickly. I'm still unsure as to where exactly we are, when exactly we are and if it's even Earth. I know you have the North Sea mentioned, but that's quite a generic name for a sea, so could be anywhere, and adding in the bioluminescent jellies I was thrown, do we get them over this way, or are they more tropical? Throwing in the iDiviner name suggests post Apple, but then there wasn't much else technological on the boat, the electric light seemed to be a marvel. So im a bit confused by this setting, but that can be fixed easily enough I think :)

Good first draft stuff though and nice ending lines!

Congrats on the 1000, DG. Yeah, not bad for a first draft. Needs work but I'm sure you'll take the advice aboard and make your second effort far tighter, with better pace, less words and more immediacy. If not I'll get out my crit claws. Keep at it. (y)

Well done on 1000 posts, though I don't recall that we received an application for you to be allowed to reach that level.

I liked it, and the slower pace of the start didn't worry me. Partly I think this was because I was intrigued by the opening line. He knows the rain stops at that distance: so either the weather is now being controlled, or something weird has happened to it. This mystery alone was enough to happily keep me going, and the details of his work didn't seem dull or overly slow to me. But if it had been a little shorter, I doubt I would have minded.

There are a few first-draft-type niggles: "He’d have to fish it out before some of the fish suffocated in it" confused me, because I thought you meant normal fish instead of jellyfish (also, you've repeated fish). You repeat "cursed" too near the beginning. But I'm sure you'd pick those up yourself on a redraft.

1000 Congrats. The rain confused a bit, but for a draft is fine.
Dhiraj knew the rain stopped (at)this distance from the coast but it still made him uneasy. It was unnatural to be without the rain. He jerked the (throttle) engine? down to a low rumble, and his seine skiff iDiviner slowed to a crawl.

I enjoyed this.
I'm not sure what he's doing out with a dragnet on a dark and stormy night; but it does set the mood.
Speaking of Dark and Stormy nights...
You take a long descriptive way of getting to the scary bit; which reminds me of a few good horror shows. Just remember that this isn't a horror show but a novel-novella or short story. Or is it a horror show?

Still even though it won't win you any points in some quarters I enjoyed the build up though just the fact of something being amiss or afoul in the net seems to engender enough tropes to leave the reader expecting something. So the subsequent buildup might be a bit protracted since I kept waiting for the body to show up right from the minute a bag was suggested.

It's quite well written.

But when it opened its eyes Dhiraj screamed and lost his grip, and the sea greeted him with an icy kiss.
Is this the last we see of Dhiraj? -It's just that that alone might bring it closer to be a prologue.

Hi all, sorry I've been remiss in not replying to these fine comments but I've had simply no time over the last few days. I shall respond properly tomorrow. Thanks for the thoughts.

Oh, and Tinkerdan, this isn't the last we see of Dhiraj :)

OK, I finally get some time to respond properly to your comments. Thanks again for the efforts and comments!

When it finishes, it comes across as a prologue
As a couple of people mentioned this, I'm assuming that you think it comes across as a prologue because Dhiraj seems to die at the end. Well, mild spoiler - he doesn't, he just falls into the water.

You've got me interested,but not because of the revival of the undead,but because of the fishing for bioluminescent jellyfish
Er... who said anything about the undead? o_O But the jellyfish are relevant, so I'm glad that's hooky.

For me, it should start with the face in the bag, perhaps with a hint of why it's so important for Dhiraj to risk his life fishing out plastic bags in the first place (although that could come later).
and
The opening couple of paragraphs felt like they were 1k words in themsleves, a slow, ponderous look at the life of a jellyfisher(??). Not that I didn't like them, they are written pretty well, but to keep them in I would suggest breaking them up

against

I liked it, and the slower pace of the start didn't worry me. Partly I think this was because I was intrigued by the opening line. He knows the rain stops at that distance: so either the weather is now being controlled, or something weird has happened to it. This mystery alone was enough to happily keep me going, and the details of his work didn't seem dull or overly slow to me. But if it had been a little shorter, I doubt I would have minded.

These quotes probably best represent the two takes on the opening paragraphs; my take is that the reasons for Dhiraj a) being there and b) making an effort to fish the bag out, do exist, but aren't there in the text, and they probably should be. That may add some urgency to Dhiraj's actions. For what it's worth, I don't necessarily subscribe to the notion that a book has to open with breakneck speed/set pieces, but I do agree that Dhiraj's plight needs to be identified earlier that it would've been.

I was confused by the comment about the rain near to the coast and the subsequent use of the word 'skiff' and 'iDiviner'. My train of thought was as follows:- The coastal rain threw me because I didn't know if you meant rain inland of the coast, or seaward. The use of skiff didn't help me work it out because although it's usually a boat, it can also mean craft and for some reason the mention of rain being uncharacteristic in this place made me think we were in a post-apocalyptic or dystopian future, thus the skiff could be a flying craft. Then the name iDiviner seemed so rooted in early 21st Century and Apple products, I didn't know what my frame of reference was.

That's really excellent feedback, thanks :D

(You'll probably roll your eyes at this suggestion, bearing in mind my genre bias, but...) You have a potentially scary scene here but he feels very in control, pragmatic and unthreatened. If the floodlights were to cut out because the skiff is a bit of an old banger, just as the bag is coming clear, you could then focus on the eerie light illuminating the body. Then, when the eyes flick open, it'd be more potent (to my sensibilities).

Hah! You are a card, Ph! I do see your point, but it feel like I'd be wheeling out a few classic horror cliches in the opening scene (the light blowing out just as the body surfaces - that's very coincidental), which isn't my aim. But, it could make it more dramatic... I'll think about it.

Generally, the comments are excellent though, I'm really pleased, and it must be at least some of the way towards a pretty strong start. Thanks all.

Have confidence now.

Coffee has been earned :D

These quotes probably best represent the two takes on the opening paragraphs; my take is that the reasons for Dhiraj a) being there and b) making an effort to fish the bag out, do exist, but aren't there in the text, and they probably should be. That may add some urgency to Dhiraj's actions. For what it's worth, I don't necessarily subscribe to the notion that a book has to open with breakneck speed/set pieces, but I do agree that Dhiraj's plight needs to be identified earlier that it would've been.

I agree totally with the not needing to start at full speed, Im sure i have defended this view at some pont on the boards :p My issue was more with the big blocks of text for the first 2-3 paragraphs, they slow me down (might be completely me being a bad reader).
But if You have his stakes at the ready, why not put them in? even in the most subtle of allusions might be enough to intrigue until you get further into it and can lay them out in full.

I notice that the "similar threads" list below is all of other 1000th post critiques -- except for @Jo Zebedee's, which is 11000th.

I know, it's crude and vulgar and unnecessary isn't it?

BTW did you get my belated application for entry into the 1000 club?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CTRandall Critiques 10
Vaz Critiques 26
Jo Zebedee Critiques 19
jastius Critiques 16
Kylara Critiques 13