Short Stories Online

Gawian

Starforger
Easy to find inspiration, hard to get it on paper.
Is there anywhere good to post short stories online?

All I can find is fan-fiction sites, but that's not really what I'm looking for because the stuff I want to put on is Original Content.

Is there a site that many people visit where I can upload shorts to be read by various strangers. Maybe even critiqued??

www.critters.org is all about getting critiques on your SF/Fantasy/horror shorts (and longer pieces as well, but probably suits shorts better), but you have to do a bunch of critiques yourself on everyone else that puts stories in, at least one a week. And you don't get an instant right to put in your work - you have to earn enough by critiquing quite a lot. I found it a bit of a grind trying to keep up, so I quit it.

With us - if your short story is less then 1500 words you can post it in its entirety!

How many words is your story?

Gawian, is your goal to have people just read your stories or do you want honest crits that will make you a better writer? If it's to improve, the best way is to become part of a community like this, do the writing challenges, check out the critiques, read some books on it, post sections for critique, take a deep breath, revise, rinse and repeat.

If you just want to post things for people to read, you could just start your own blog and post stories there. Getting people to read them might be more of a challenge there.

Ahhh :/ It's 4K. Or near about. 3872 exactly.

Gawian, is your goal to have people just read your stories or do you want honest crits that will make you a better writer? If it's to improve, the best way is to become part of a community like this, do the writing challenges, check out the critiques, read some books on it, post sections for critique, take a deep breath, revise, rinse and repeat.

If you just want to post things for people to read, you could just start your own blog and post stories there. Getting people to read them might be more of a challenge there.

Well, I won't lie. I guess both. You can never stop being a better writer. There is always room for improvement, but I would like to just get some of my work out there.

-----

I was wondering if there was just a site dedicated to short sttories or something than anyone can upload to.

I remember there being one I used to use a while ago, but I can't remember it, and I can't find the right term to put in Google either :p

I thought there was only a critique/review section?
You also get a free blog here. You could post a part each day, maybe, I don't know.

There is also ... mutters ....

You can quite easily make your own site.
Here is one someone I know has:
www.elconic.com

You'd pay about $10 a year for a domain and $30 to $100 for the hosting. ($100 is pretty much unlimited and $30 quite limited).

All I can find is fan-fiction sites, but that's not really what I'm looking for because the stuff I want to put on is Original Content.

Is there a site that many people visit where I can upload shorts to be read by various strangers. Maybe even critiqued??

Wattpad has a better line of readers for the most part.
https://www.wattpad.com

and here are a raft of other sites

www.online-literature.com/.../forumdisplay.php
https://www.reddit.com/r/shortstories/
cheese.formice.com/forum/threads/short-story-sharing.67153/
www.writingforums.com
boardreader.com/fp/Literature.../Short_Story_Sharing_617760.html
absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?191818-my...short-story

www.booksie.com/
www.reidkemper.com/.../15-websites-where-you-can-post-stories.html
www.writersandauthors.info/.../where-to-publish-stories-online-for-free.html
www.storystar.com/php/post.php?act=new
figment.com/
https://storybird.com
https://www.fictionpress.com/
https://www.authonomy.com
thewritelife.com/where-to-submit-short-stories

You can quite easily make your own site.
Here is one someone I know has:
www.elconic.com

You'd pay about $10 a year for a domain and $30 to $100 for the hosting. ($100 is pretty much unlimited and $30 quite limited).

I'd like to avoid paying like the plague if at all possible. I only earn minimum wage, and with my current outgoings, I don't even get half of that.

Wattpad has a better line of readers for the most part.
https://www.wattpad.com

and here are a raft of other sites

www.online-literature.com/.../forumdisplay.php
https://www.reddit.com/r/shortstories/
cheese.formice.com/forum/threads/short-story-sharing.67153/
www.writingforums.com
boardreader.com/fp/Literature.../Short_Story_Sharing_617760.html
absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?191818-my...short-story

www.booksie.com/
www.reidkemper.com/.../15-websites-where-you-can-post-stories.html
www.writersandauthors.info/.../where-to-publish-stories-online-for-free.html
www.storystar.com/php/post.php?act=new
figment.com/
https://storybird.com
https://www.fictionpress.com/
https://www.authonomy.com
thewritelife.com/where-to-submit-short-stories

Wow. That's brilliant. Thank you very much :)

I only earn minimum wage, and with my current outgoings, I don't even get half of that.
$40 a year extra? That's about 10 cups of coffee out in a year. I've no income at all. But I don't go to cinema, no Pay TV, no going to bar, coffee out maybe once a month. Takeout maybe 6 times a year. No Bill pay phone, no netflix, no subscriptions.

Minimum Pay TV would cost x3 my unlimited Hosting.

I'm not talking weekly or monthly.

I'd like to avoid paying like the plague if at all possible. I only earn minimum wage, and with my current outgoings, I don't even get half of that.

Wow. That's brilliant. Thank you very much :)
You are more then welcome. Wattpad has been used as a portal for agents looking for writing talent. Some of the writers there have been picked up and brought mainstream.
Its a very good tool for exposure and building up your audience.

There is a writing group here for full shorts and things you are going to publish. The site privileges for that get unlocked when you have a post count of over a hundred. Before a hundred posts, you won't even see it on the board. That's so interweb spiders don't pick it up in searches. A bit safer. Also, threads posted there can be removed later on so there won't be any 'previously posted upon the internet' problems when subbing to a magazine later.

I recommend you start a blog, then post some of your "BEST" stories to it.

Then you can promote your blog via "LinkedIn, Facebook, Google+, numerous other "social media" sites.

NAMASTE

C.E. Gee

$40 a year extra? That's about 10 cups of coffee out in a year. I've no income at all. But I don't go to cinema, no Pay TV, no going to bar, coffee out maybe once a month. Takeout maybe 6 times a year. No Bill pay phone, no netflix, no subscriptions.
Minimum Pay TV would cost x3 my unlimited Hosting.
I'm not talking weekly or monthly.

There are other things that I do in my life. I finish every month with an empty bank (or near enough). Literally, the state of my life right now, if I get paid late from work, I am completely ..... blaggered (choose a profanity of your choosing here). I'll admit, I'm not good with money.

There is a writing group here for full shorts and things you are going to publish. The site privileges for that get unlocked when you have a post count of over a hundred. Before a hundred posts, you won't even see it on the board. That's so interweb spiders don't pick it up in searches. A bit safer. Also, threads posted there can be removed later on so there won't be any 'previously posted upon the internet' problems when subbing to a magazine later.

I was unaware of that. Thank you very much for your help.

I finish every month with an empty bank
Me too. Sometimes more than.
Well you can use the Blog here and the various appropriate forums.

Other options:
www.corvids.press is also going to give away free and supported Blogs to selected authors. www.elconic.com is actually a free storyverse for one writer paid for by www.corvids.press

Wordpress also has free blogs on their own site you can put a story on. They are limited in features compared with your own hosting. This is NOT the same as installing Wordpress on your own site. Wordpress doesn't have to be a Blog at all. It's just a Content Management system, and it's fine for stories. www.elconic.com actually ONLY is stories and is unmodified Wordpress. Corvids Press uses Wordpress a different way.

There are other things that I do in my life. I finish every month with an empty bank (or near enough). Literally, the state of my life right now, if I get paid late from work, I am completely ..... blaggered (choose a profanity of your choosing here). I'll admit, I'm not good with money.

That's not a good situation. Did you want some tips to rearrange things a bit to build up some savings? I know a few fairly painless things that may help. My mum says I can squeeze a penny till it screams. I have my personal expenses down to Twentyfive a month.

Reactions: Vaz
That's not a good situation. Did you want some tips to rearrange things a bit to build up some savings? I know a few fairly painless things that may help. My mum says I can squeeze a penny till it screams. I have my personal expenses down to Twentyfive a month.

That's alright. If I cut down to minimum expenditure, I usually have about £200 left... but I'm not good at that, lol. Too many things I like.

You could take a look at Alfie Dog Fiction or Ether Books. Both publish shorts in a variety of genres. Ether stories are only available via an app, but readers can rate stories and/or leave comments. Getting people to read them though is a different matter...