12 Monkeys: 1.12: Paradox

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
I didn't expect any of that - spoilers obviously:

A younger Katerina. A younger Cole. Katerina learning about the watch she will later tell Cole to find. Aaron switching sides. Jennifer's hostile takeover of Markridge. A younger Ramse.

Who are the zombie mutants? Are they the army of the 12 monkeys?
How does Cole's mother know about the 12 monkeys? Is she a time traveller too?
Is older Ramse still going to kill younger Cole like he said last week? Is this all getting a little 'Terminator'-like? Or does he think he died from the stabbing?

Explain the red forest to me? I thought it was just plant cellular damage like the damage time travel did to Cole. On which subject, how did the paradox with Cole's blood cure him?

Final episode next week.

I loved young Katerina. The "staying on the timeline" thing annoyed me this episode. I feel like it's getting a bit heavy-handed. I don't know why. Maybe something will come up as I read other comments.

Aaron switching sides was definitely not cool, but kind of expected.

The mutants are ODD, aren't they? I was trying to count how many there were (12?).

I'm thinking Cole's mother is a time traveler of some kind. Or, involved. It all feels so tight and closed now (the circle). Almost claustrophobic. I feel like the show needs to find a wrinkle--something that DOES change the future. I know we saw that once when Cole went back to 2043 and things were drastically different (Ramse in charge of the merc group). So, I know it's possible, but everything feels so pre-ordained right now. I want that mussed up a bit.

I think the paradox cured Cole because it ignited within him and caused some reaction. Katerina explained it, but I'll need to go back and give it another look-see. Then again, will Cole be all red inside now? :) (Or is that just Ramse's effect?)

There's a lot.

My big gripe with the episode is that the whole younger-Cole / Cole's father deal all happened so easy. Same with Katerina. They could have stretched that out over two episodes. Made Cole's father struggle with it a lot more than he seemed to. Just one look at Cole and he knew? Really? Cassandra all but suffered a nervous breakdown and Cole's pop is just fine? (Well, until the end)

I don't know what the red foliage is. Definitely an effect. But I seem to recall someone saying that it only happens with "the Witness" (or someone) is there or splinters. Hmmm....

Another great twist with younger Katerina meeting Cole in 2015.. she was playing dumb all this time... like when Cole and Ramse were first captured and we thought she only recognised Cole from his name in Railly's recording. Or that she knew Railly too! It's getting very timey-wimey!!

So Cole's Terminator-esque appearance after injecting himself with paradox juice means he's now totally disconnected from the Splinter machine and he's not going be returning to 2043.. not sure where that leaves the show going forward??

The mutants and Deacon may have their own plans for project Splinter anyway.. as does Jennifer for Markridge!

Back