Parallels (2015)

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
I've just watched this on Netflix, mainly because Netflix said I would like it and give it 5 stars. I'm rather disappointed, I gave it 2. This wasn't a film, it is a pilot for a series that obviously isn't ever being made. Fox didn't cancel it after a few episodes, they didn't make it at all. Also, it is just Sliders with twenty-somethings instead. And the story would have have been two episodes from the SyFy channel season of Sliders rather than the better earlier ones. On top of that, I have nothing personal against Jessica Rothe, but she can't act for toffee. The rest of the cast were okay, but I cringed when she said her lines. So, I'm not recommending it.

There is a review on IMDb that pretty much nails it:
Sliders in the style of a The CW show
It's pretty much Sliders. Timed jumps to other worlds, no (known) way home...
In Sliders there's techno-babble and problem solving. In Parallels you just run from stuff and have dramatic moments, usually involving your family. Sliders uses a fixed camera and dolly and whatnot. Parallels uses good ole Shaky- Cam where the camera operator has to deliberately do a bad job, even on tight shots during an exposition scene because that's just the style now.

In this a whole building shifts between alternate realities every 36 hours. The family stuff is very reminiscent of The Tomorrow People which tends to make it feel like the whole thing is ripped off one show or another. Then there is, Tinker, a man from a world that got nuked back in 1999 who goes into an electronics shop and builds some amazing machine in a toolbox that controls the sliding building, despite not having any idea what it was a hour earlier. And everyone is a physics professor or top scholar, except for the mixed martial arts fighter (but he is just pretending to be dumb.) The most interesting character was the three different Polly versions, who we never actually get to know anything about.