Help! totally blanking on a book I read as a kid

jw1fb0

Was a book about a young boy/teen sneaking into a room where he could access saved memories of people from throughout the history of his world and could virtually live parts of their lives. I remember one of the specific stories which of course peaked my interest as a teen... was about a woman in self imposed exile in the jungle who ends up taking an alien for a lover.

As it turns out, the ruler of this world/kingdom knows the boy is sneaking these intimate views of people and lets him, because he is grooming him to be his successor.

I can't believe I'm totally having a brain fart trying to remember it... I read the book over and over when I was young. I want to recommend it to someone now.

Thanks!

'Majipoor Chronicles' by Robert Silverberg. It's the sequel to 'Lord Valentines Castle'
"This collection contains ten stories reflecting the endless variety of life on the planet Majipoor. The stories include "Thesme and the Ghayrog", "In the Fifth Year of the Voyage", "The Desert of Stolen Dreams" and "Voriax and Valentine"

'Majipoor Chronicles' by Robert Silverberg. It's the sequel to 'Lord Valentines Castle'
"This collection contains ten stories reflecting the endless variety of life on the planet Majipoor. The stories include "Thesme and the Ghayrog", "In the Fifth Year of the Voyage", "The Desert of Stolen Dreams" and "Voriax and Valentine"

Thanks!!!! I can't believe I forgot it!! I loved that book!!