What do you think Are the Best Classic Fantasy And Science Fiction Books and Stories of All Time?

The Puppet Masters 1951 Robert Heinlein. (y)

I read this book many years ago,and though I enjoyed it at the time,I have forgotten it.
I must dig it out and have another look at it.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1955 Jack Finney

I would say Dune is the best. I would like the Robot series by Asimov better, and the same goes for Narnia, but the last book of each left a bitter taste in my mouth. Still, the R. Daneel mysteries were quite good, as was the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

Personally I rate Dune above Foundation, then again Foundation is not my favourite Asimov works, which seems to go against the general consensus.

Personally I rate Dune above Foundation, then again Foundation is not my favourite Asimov works, which seems to go against the general consensus.

This is the issue with all of these lists of what is BEST.

I like Dune better than the Foundation Trilogy in some respects.

I like the Foundation Trilogy better than Dune in other respects.

So which one I prefer can change with my mood at the time.

Dune and Ender's Game are often the top two SF works on a lot of lists. But I prefer The Mote in God's Eye to both of them. I think we have a band wagon effect where certain works get mentioned so often that "better" works don't get read enough to get big enough wagons to compete for top positions but we get more and more "Best of" threads on web forums.

psik

Last edited:
Lest Darkness Fall L Sprague De Camp . it's the story of Martin Padway a 20th century man who suddenly vids himself transported back to 6th century Rome. It is a must read. It is great fish out of water store and often hilarious . I do wish the De Camp had written further adventures of the character. (y)

John The Balladeer by Manley Wade Wellman A collection of stories revolving around a man named john who with his mystical silver string guitar battles the forces of Darkness in the backwoods of the Appalachian mountains.

Last edited:
I like the Classics list that James Wallace Harris made. This page http://classics.jameswallaceharris.com/ explains his method. Click on "By Rank" at the top of the page to see the 2002 list. A couple of months ago, I started reading all the titles on the list that I hadn't read before. So far, The Demolished Man, More Than Human, The Martian Chronicles, The Space Merchants, Slan, Lest Darkness Fall. Up next: Mission of Gravity.

I like the Classics list that James Wallace Harris made. This page http://classics.jameswallaceharris.com/ explains his method. Click on "By Rank" at the top of the page to see the 2002 list. A couple of months ago, I started reading all the titles on the list that I hadn't read before. So far, The Demolished Man, More Than Human, The Martian Chronicles, The Space Merchants, Slan, Lest Darkness Fall. Up next: Mission of Gravity.

You might find Limbo by Bernard Wolfe to be worth checking out and The Reefs of Earth by R A Lafferty .(y)