HBO to make Foundation

I'm a bit skeptical. Much of what is so interesting about Foundation is the big ideas and big galaxy-wide trends and whatnot and those kinds of things tend not to play as well in tv. To really capture all that you'd probably need like hours of narration, which would make it totally unwatchable. Then again, maybe they could just spread the contextual sorts of information out across a whole series and it would be tolerable. It would take a lot of revision though I think.

We'll see though. I'll most definitely check it out.

I've been think of how they would create Foundation as a TV series. Initially, I thought it would be impossible. But if they spread the timeline and chronology out correctly, they could actually make an HBO Dramatization. Don't get me wrong, I'm not for it in terms of making it easily accessible to people who most likely will not read the series (as Asimov intended), but I won't bring the idea down.

Development hell? :unsure:

They still want to make the series, but from what little information I've read, the directors interested in doing so are busy with other projects. Since I can't link it, look up "Whatever Happened to HBO's Foundation Series Adaptation" or something along those lines. It'll come up.

I suppose I can at least be cautiously optimistic if it's being handled by a combination of HBO and Nolan. I still appreciate his attempt to elevate the (rather dumbed down as of late) science fiction genre with Interstellar.

One thing that helps Foundation is a lack of actual space battle scenes, which gives some more flexibility when it comes to budget. If I remember correctly, what battles that did occur happened "off screen," discussed after-the-fact by characters rather than narrated in real time.

Especially with Westworld now out, the amount of experimentation they can utilize to create the series is vast.