Z Nation on SyFy

markpud

Former Ascifi.com mod
"Human struggle to survive a zombie apocalypse that hit the United States three years ago. A group is tasked to lead a survivor of the plague from New York to California. A laboratory that will test his blood for a possible cure."

So one man is immune and we have to keep him safe....

This will of course be compared to the Walking Dead, so it'd better be good if it wants to live up to it!

Premieres this Friday 12th September on SyFy in the USA. Couldn't find details of a UK network picking it up though.

It mystifies me that the popularity of Zombies continues the way it does .

Just seen it. It's 'just like Walking Dead,' minus the superb writing and story development, decent acting, competent direction etc. etc. A p*ss poor rip-off of a great show. I'll watch the second one just to confirm that the sci-fi network is up to their usual standard.

About time Syfy did their own zombie series. Some of the casting is good and it starts out pretty fast paced. Some decent gore but nothing as good as Greg Nicotero.
The vaccine premise at least provides a bit of hope in what is otherwise a dire situation. I got a kick out of that Walking Dead reference as well. I wasn't expecting them to kill of the best actor on the show in the first episode. Zombie babies and animals are pretty ridiculous and the baby zombie scenes in this episode were pretty awful. I'm not a fan of running zombies either.

So.. I like the premise of it being 3 years down the line, and it's not every man for himself, the army is still active (ish) and things seem somewhat organised. I feel like in TWD things go too far into "everything we knew is gone" when I think/hope more infrastructure could survive. Also, fast zombies!

Bad points - yep the acting was a bit ropey and the zombies don't look up to Nicotero's standards. And the whole thing with the baby was ridiculous.

So why did that one soldier stand and wait for them to bring down the gate when he could take taken some if not all of them out before that happened?

Also there will apparently be zombie animals, so that could be great/awful.

Don't think AMC will lose too much sleep over this!

"Fracking Zombies!" I thought the second episode was much better.
The DJ Qualls scenes were actually kind of good and the oil refinery is a pretty interesting setting. Nice to see the Z-Whacker return.

Enjoyed episode 3 even if the characters continue to be over the top. I wonder if they've read the Walking Dead and decided to pre-empt where that show is likely going this season...

Also, a big bell. I guess that's the American equivalent to Big Ben?!

Yeah he's a good character and fairly believable as an isolated tech guy. As for what's powering his Arctic base, best not to ask...

"Full Metal Zombie" was decent.
Romero and Night of the Living Dead are confirmed to exist in the Z Nation universe. It's great to see Bill Moseley show up as General McCandles. The DJ Qualls scenes were kind of funny as were the scenes with Doc stuck in the ventilation shaft.

I enjoyed this one too, the series is growing on me...

Doc getting the Z stoned was hilarious, if corny.. and was there a hint or 2 of recognition from it? Qualls is an empathetic character, even if he's in the most unlikely of locations with not much hope of being rescued or being able to leave by his own means. Crazy General was somewhat clichéd but it was fun nonetheless.

"Home Sweet Zombie"
The zombies running into the electric fence scene was kind of funny as was the drill bit breaking off in dude's skull. Murphy starting to look part zombie. Since it's Syfy I assumed the tornado would have more zombies flying around in it.

Zombnado! That was funny, and hopefully prevents them from making the full length Zombnado movie! Citizen Z getting a drinking problem? Interesting to see the random folk out there listening to their radio whilst barbequing.... will they be significant? Nope, this is SyFy not AMC :D

Episode 6 "Resurrection Z" This show just keeps getting better and better.
The DJ Qualls intro was good and helped set the mood for the following creepy cult scene nicely. I like seeing the group having to improvise after being unarmed and killing the zombie with the electric hand mixer is one of the best kills so far. I wasn't expecting Charlie to be the one to die.

This is one element where Z has the edge on TWD - it's not scared of killing off the leading male, twice!

Murphy's power to pacify the Z's could come in very handy, if he wasn't so unstable! But I think this will come to pass!!

Episode 7 "Welcome to the Fu-Bar"
I like how the group keeps running into different pockets of survivors. Splitting up the group should be interesting. The outhouse zombie was pretty funny.

The heart of this one was Warren dealing with Charlie's death, which was done well.

They didn't even get a vehicle upgrade after winning the contest and being vital to quelling the Z's!

Episode 8 "Zunami"
The DJ Quall scenes were outstanding, his best yet. Yuri turning out to be a hallucination was an excellent twist although you could see it coming. The mass zombie migration is an interesting idea. Doc's thoughts when he was locked in the morgue made me laugh. Murphy is a huge asshole, at least he came back for the group though. I'm expecting him to be able to control the zombies even more as time goes on.