WHAT Are Your Favorite Spaceships from Movies And Television?

Also, if this thread included video games we could have a much wider discussion. :D

Ah, yes ...

Elite-fdl.png

Ah, yes ...

Elite-fdl.png

Very nice. I will refrain from responding in kind since I am guessing the OP avoided video game ships intentionally. It would probably detach the conversation from a significant segment of participants.

When I was a kid, I absolutely adored the Star Wars X-wings. Small and scrappy!

When I watched Guardians of the Galaxy this summer, I was blown away by the Nova Corps ships. So pretty, so shiny, want. And when they all linked up to form the
defense net
, aww, love!

+1 for the Eagle's from Space 1999 - I had a good metal cast (Dinky?) one and one of the messed up "alien copy" one from Airfix (can't find a picture of them as I can't remember what they were called...).

Also, although they probably weren't spacecraft (I think they parked in the flying aircraft carrier and were just planes more or less that flew in the atmosphere),

the Angel Interceptors from Captain Scarlet:

CSangel01l.jpg

Airfix did copies of them too, I seem to remember.

+1 for the Eagle's from Space 1999 - I had a good metal cast (Dinky?) one and one of the messed up "alien copy" one from Airfix (can't find a picture of them as I can't remember what they were called...).

Also, although they probably weren't spacecraft (I think they parked in the flying aircraft carrier and were just planes more or less that flew in the atmosphere),

the Angel Interceptors from Captain Scarlet:

CSangel01l.jpg

Airfix did copies of them too, I seem to remember.

Classic Stuff :) Fireball, StingRay, Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, UFO, Space 1999. They came up with some of the coolest most forward looking spaceships of all time.

Not quite my first spaceship -- I saw it after Fireball XL5 -- but I have a soft spot for the Galaspheres (Galasphere 347**, to be specific).

** - Although for decades before I looked it up online, I remembered it as the Galasphere 357.

Space Battleship Yamato , oh yes

also fom the Star Blazer universe , Andromeda .:)

The Liberator from Blake's 7. Definitively.

I would love to see a modern, faithful CGI render of the Liberator.

But I feel that a remake, unless done extremely carefully, would be a disaster (especially if it drew on the later series).

I'd like to agree with Valley Forge too, as I love the movie, but its actually a bit of a rubbish ship I think. The Nostromo was pretty good. I liked how it was all industrial and not remotely ship-shape (in a literal way):

nostromo_lv426.jpg

But I feel that a remake, unless done extremely carefully, would be a disaster (especially if it drew on the later series).

The Drazi Ships in Babylon 5 were a homage to the Liberator .:)

I love the later series, but that's cos I always found Blake hard to take. But then there's be no liberator. :( (i used to have a toy one, I still want it back.) and Slave just won't do...

The proposed remake sounds dire. Paul Darrow walked out; that's enough for me.

The YF-19 and 21 from Macross Plus (most Valkyries for that matter). When I was younger, I loved the Alliance fighters from Enemy Mine. Although, I just looked it up, and they have aged a bit :). Does Gundam count? I feel like I may skating on a thin line of the definition of "ship".

I love the later series, but that's cos I always found Blake hard to take. But then there's be no liberator. :( (i used to have a toy one, I still want it back.) and Slave just won't do...

The proposed remake sounds dire. Paul Darrow walked out; that's enough for me.

Don't want to divert the thread but what is the fascination of Blake's 7? I was in my teens when it first aired. I remember watching it. I've been sharing chunks of my SFish childhood with my kids (aged 12, 10, and 5) Though they like early Doctor Who ("even some of the black and white ones!") Love the 1966 Batman and think Jason of Star Command is a hilarious hoot (which it is) they were distinctly unimpressed by Blakes 7 and as I watched it with them so was I. It's not very good.

Thread derailment!

The appeal of Blake's & wasn't the look (cheap & tacky) but the characterisation - this was probably the first SF series where the 'good guys' were (apart from Blake himself) anything but. It probably explains why I enjoyed Firefly so much.

Thread back on track.

Thread derailment!

The appeal of Blake's & wasn't the look (cheap & tacky) but the characterisation - this was probably the first SF series where the 'good guys' were (apart from Blake himself) anything but. It probably explains why I enjoyed Firefly so much.

Thread back on track.

off topic for for a second, Blake 7 is classic stuff.

Back on Topic The Liberator is truly awesome ship ! :)

Exactly what Reiver said. My kids adore it; my 9 yo puts it on all the time.

So, given B7 is a triumph of imagination over special effects (maybe....) what makes a spaceship good? Design, effects, personality?

I looked back on my list of spaceship-favorites, and I see it's different for each one, springs. With my fave, the Shadow Vessel from B5, it's a truly visceral effect that the ship has on me...it's sooo creepy, and scary. It looks like a hyperdrive death spider, if you will..it just spooks me; and I've never seen a ship design that so reflects who the aliens are, for purposes of plot and characterization. The ship itself seems a character in the show, and its effect, for me, enhances the effectiveness of the storytelling.

With the Enterprise, as originally presented in the first series, once you know that the crew and ship are on a "... five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds...", this just becomes the perfect trekking vehicle. I see that ship, and I think of foreign adventure, and wonder. So I guess with this ship, it's not necessarily the visceral feeling the spaceship itself gives me, but rather that it is the ship of folks whose journeying brings me wonder.

And with the Earth vs Flying Saucers spaceship, well, doesn't every kid dream of a flying saucer landing here from an alien world? :) I must have seen this film on television in the mid 60s, and the term 'flying saucer' was by then commonly bandied about in the media, and by regular folks. This spaceship (and its wonderful robot) seemed the perfect example of a flying saucer to me then...and now! :) So I guess with this ship, it's an assocition with childhood discovery, imagination, and wonder. CC

If we're including computer games, i'd like to put in a vote for the Ebon Hawk from Knights of the Old Republic.

Back