Review: After Midnight by Joseph Rubas (Tickety Boo Press)

Perpetual Man

Tim James
Supporter
I’ve never had an easy time of reading short stories. I don’t know why it is just the way it has been - when I do read them I often find them enjoyable. I am also not a huge fan of the horror genre, I read the odd book here and there and sometimes enjoy them, so when you consider this collection by Joseph Rubas is both of the above you might imagine that things are not going to go so well when taken from my perspective.

That being said this is one of the first releases from new publisher Tickety Boo Press and is an absolutely stunning read from the 22 year old writer. The writing shows a maturity beyond his years, with every story drawing the reader in and holding the attention.

It might be true to say that all of them might not be purely horror, they all carry a dark tone, that easily fits within the genre, and even those that do not have the pay-off of a twist or dramatic ending, serve as gripping studies in their own right.

Trying to pick one or two of the stories to comment on would be next to impossible, each of them is unforgettable. From vampires (a more chilling traditional type, thankfully), to zombies, to the mob, Rubas provides tales that are eminently readable, no matter how disturbing they become. A zombie apocalypse told from the eyes of an inmate; to a different take on the legend of D B Cooper; vampires extremely protective of their city homes; mobsters who have a rather unusual method of burying their victims, the book covers it all and a lot more besides.

Not only does it promise a future for Rubas, but After Midnight is a solid step for both publisher and author.

Any news on the paperback edition?

Sorry for delay in replying but dog has been ill again :(

We changed our mind on formatting. :) Just about through it now and then button will get pushed. It will be worth the wait!

Excellent! I was just eagre to get started reading

Hope your dog gets well soon.:)

Back