Ranger's Apprentice Series by: John Flanagan

SirSamuelVimes

I work at a lovely gym and enjoy it thoroughly. I
Hey Everybody,
I was just curious if there were any fans of The Ranger's Apprentice series. I'm a long time fan, and when I was younger the first two novels really pushed me in to the Fantasy genre.

I've been reading Brotherband as well, and it's decent. It lacks the likable characters that drove me to continue reading Ranger's Apprentice.

So any fans out there? If so what do you think of Brotherband so far?

My son read the first one a short time ago. I thought the writing was average at best, and I really disliked the way a bullying incident was handled. But my son enjoyed the fast pace and storyline.
He has asked to read the second one, but currently is charging through Hunger Games, which he is really enjoying and seems much better written.

My son read the first one a short time ago. I thought the writing was average at best, and I really disliked the way a bullying incident was handled. But my son enjoyed the fast pace and storyline.
He has asked to read the second one, but currently is charging through Hunger Games, which he is really enjoying and seems much better written.

I definitely feel like he progressed as a writer throughout the series, which is what kept me reading them. I know of the bully scene you speak of, and I can see how it would be controversial.

The first book reads almost like Raymond Feist's Magician. The three books after that are dramatic and compelling, but once those 4 books were done Flanagan just took a kind of casual and relaxed approach to his storytelling which was neither compelling or exciting to read. It's like he finished the arc he wanted to tell and just kind of lost all inspiration to continue the story despite writing many more RA books after that.

IT's a pretty good series, I read up till the 7th book, which I quit because it was quite dull and boring to me, I find the first book to be the best.

The first book reads almost like Raymond Feist's Magician. The three books after that are dramatic and compelling, but once those 4 books were done Flanagan just took a kind of casual and relaxed approach to his storytelling which was neither compelling or exciting to read. It's like he finished the arc he wanted to tell and just kind of lost all inspiration to continue the story despite writing many more RA books after that.

LOL. I thought that too, reading them to my son, and my son ended up reading Feist.

I read them to "Kurtzhau" when he was 7 onwards, so I'd class them as really "late Middle Grade". Certainly a good adventure series. I enjoyed them. I didn't experience the slow down you mention, but they were more thriller/mystery than action packed romp.

If fantasy is what you're after, Joe Abercrombie's latest YA looks like it might fit that bill.

Ah,I have just found this forum.There are so many subjects in these forums,it's easy to miss one.
I would have written my first post about The Ranger's Apprentice here if I had known.