What are you working on right now?

Got #3 (detective, magic, autism, world sim) edited and done, and am now in querying heaven (yup), and trying to decide how many rejection trophies I need to collect before fully embracing the indie path.

Am delousing #4 (broken wormholes, probabilistic plenoptic cameras, alien bodyswapping) now, which is exciting when I don’t hate it.

Am planning #5 (small town twins merging) next, which is absolutely perfect in my mind.

Am dreaming #6 (xenophobic aliens, more body swapping (clearly I have issues)) while I should be staying bloody focused on #4.

I am inching my way forward on what I hope will be the last major read through and edit of '10 Questions Authors Ask About Space', literally a few paragraphs a night - I'm seven weeks into my teacher training course, and just getting a few minutes to do something on it is a victory to be frank. They (hope of a decently paid, shift pattern free, and with a sane boss) day job has to take precedent, but I'll get there.

Is there a word for that? (General question)

Yep, right...I couldn't think of the word which is why I had to write it that way - it's like something that should be trepidation but there's a sense of excitement - like running down a steep hill too fast and trying not to fall over. I think invigorating is the nearest word I can think of.

pH

The third fantasy novel about Giulia the thief, following on from Up To The Throne and Blood Under Water. I've got a rough draft - but it's extremely rough and I'm rewriting a lot of it.

I'm also working on the conclusion of the epic fantasy series that I've been writing on-and-off for the last few years. Both are difficult projects, but satisfying when they work.

Hi,

I'm recovering! I pubbed The Travel Bug about six days ago which left me drained - then started work on the paperback. That was an absolute nightmare. God I miss Createspace! Their Cover Designer was so easy! The Kindle one took me three days and endless hair pulling to get right. And for a brief while I had the book out with absolutely no titles on it!!!

Cheers, Greg.

Yep, right...I couldn't think of the word which is why I had to write it that way - it's like something that should be trepidation but there's a sense of excitement - like running down a steep hill too fast and trying not to fall over. I think invigorating is the nearest word I can think of.

pH
frisson?

I'm still in research and planning mode for The Falconer. I set up a sort of schematic on what I needed to do before I start writing--trying to be better organized this time, cut down on rewrites--and so far that schematic feels like it is working for me. I'm probably a month or less away from starting to write in earnest. Or at least to write in my office.

pH

Excepidation.

I had been going well on the YA fantasy project I'd been working on for most of this year, but then a few weeks ago I got sick, and I missed a few of my Sunday morning library writing sessions, and fell well out of the groove. Add to that the fact that I'm now reflecting on the roughly twenty thousand words I've written and realising barely anything has happened, so I don't know whether to press on or go back and try and fix that now. Plus I've got the siren song of three other stalled projects now clamouring for attention...

So I'm currently sitting at the library working on not much of anything. Gah.

I'm a whisker or two away from fifty thousand on this one now, and a lot more has happened since this last update, action-wise, which is nice! Feeling very good about this, although I'm about to head back to work after a long stretch of leave, so I'm inevitably going to slow down again. My hope had been to finish the first draft by the end of the year, which I think is a little optimistic at this point. I've been aiming for eighty thousand words but I think it'll be more like a hundred thousand by the time I finish.

My original wip - the novel I wrote as a teenager and was rewriting - has temporarily died due to plothole. My worldbuilding has been more world un-building of late, as I do the research I should have done 17 years ago. It may well live again, but will look substantially different.

I'm currently just over 1500 words into a fantasy romance, that I'm excited about, but have very little idea of what most of the plot is going to be doing, so it's a bit scary. I'm starting writing disconnected scenes as I feel driven at the moment, in the hope that the joining up happens by itself.

I took around 2 months off apart from a bit of editing old stories. I got an Honourable Mention in the Writers of the Future contest during that time, which was pretty cool and after 50ish rejections shows I'm heading in the right direction..

I'm slowly going through most of my old stories and revising them, and have started work on a few more. I love the start of one so it's just about making it work. I think it needs to be set on another planet, but I don't want to go massively sci-fi with it. Most of the planet floods, and there's not enough water on Earth for that.

Finished my first ever novel. Yay!

Well, I have a couple of edits left in the final chapter from beta-reader feedback but, after something on the order of nine drafts (not counting numerous small changes), I've finally reached the point where I feel I can move on to the next project. I've even managed to outline the next book and get about 6000 words down. Yay again!

Time to start looking for agents/publishers. And if none bite, I'll go the self-publishing route when book 2 is ready.

I’m working on my 8th chapter of my first novel. I started it back in April so it’s taking me a while but it’s getting there. It’s definitely pretty raw, but im happy with its progression.

Working finishing a chapter ... I think I finally figued out what the heck happens, heh heh.

Last edited by a moderator:
What, no updates from anyone since July? That's got to be a record.

Let me resurrect this thread. Today I hit the final stretch of my WIP. It's not easy to explain the sense of 'somethingness' I feel about writing fresh material on a novel - the only novel - I've been working on since April 2009 (Okay, officially I had the idea to start writing about a haunted house in 2009 but didn't start it till I joined Chrons in 2011... I'd never written before so it took me 2 years to get the nerve to try).

It's going to need huge edits - it's currently a little over 240k according to Scrivener - but I don't mind that. I just have this sense of opposite-of-trepidation.

I hope I can keep the momentum up.

pH

If you could guess, how many hours of writing was it, and how many hours of editing would you anticipate?