GRRM interview on io9

Good to see he is saying that 7 books isn't set in stone.

I think it will be eight books in total (or two very massive final books) as we still seem to have a long way to go.

The words that caught my eye (other than the ones ViZion mentioned) were
[Bronn's] past is super-mysterious, you don't know where he's born from, where he comes from, but he's fun to write about.
I'm not sure if GRRM is simply teasing us (more than likely) or really thinking of weaving Bronn's past and origins into the later books.

The words that caught my eye (other than the ones ViZion mentioned) were

I'm not sure if GRRM is simply teasing us (more than likely) or really thinking of weaving Bronn's past and origins into the later books.

This intrigued me as well, Bronn being my absolute favourite non-pov character.

I don't think we will ever find out about his past (it being mysterious was the reason GRRM said he was fun to write about) But I AM very hopeful that Bronn will come back into the picture, and i don't mean just hearing about the things he has done second hand. I really hope to see him back in KL. Maybe Varys will reach out to him.

One warning flag that really struck out for me is that GRRM appeared to refuse to commit to the series being limited to seven books. In fact, he seems to hint quite strongly that we should expect eight or more - at least.

I really hope that, if that is the case, he starts pumping one out every 2-3 years (without lowering the quality of course)

I really hope that, if that is the case, he starts pumping one out every 2-3 years (without lowering the quality of course)

Oh he won't do that.

But I would sooner wait another 12 years for the resolution of the series than have a rushed ending to the series, which, after the stalling in AFFC/ADWD, is all we can hope for from a two book ending.

In the meantime the TV show can film their own ending and show the key events that will be in the books.

I also found this line to be interesting.

"And I do, so there's an empathy there that makes me love even people like Victarion Greyjoy, who is basically a dullard and a brute."

it almost seems like he was saying he wrote that character for people to hate him (though he of course loves him because Vic is his character). I for one actually quite like Victarion and dont really understand the jab Martin is taking at him. I think of the POV charcters, the most universally despised is probably Cersei.

I also found this line to be interesting.

"And I do, so there's an empathy there that makes me love even people like Victarion Greyjoy, who is basically a dullard and a brute."

it almost seems like he was saying he wrote that character for people to hate him (though he of course loves him because Vic is his character). I for one actually quite like Victarion and dont really understand the jab Martin is taking at him. I think of the POV charcters, the most universally despised is probably Cersei.

I also noticed that with Victarion. During his chapters I remember thinking something like, "This guy is kind of a stupid jerk, but he's a POV, so he must be more important/better than I'm thinking he is."