Working smarter not harder

lowerheaven

Writing my first novel. What is the best program to use to write? I've just been writing chapters in my email and sending them to myself. There has got to be a better way.

I work on PC, Mac and iPad, so I use Word, Open Office/NeoOffice and Pages, and save to Dropbox. I was emailing to myself until I started recently with Dropbox. It's much easier, though it did manage somehow to lose one day's progress entirely and I never figured out why. It's been fine since, so it was undoubtedly just something stupid that I did.

If you cant get MS Word, there are freeware text editors out there. And back it up to a thumb drive which is stored somewhere else, not with the PC.

I've been using Google Drive a lot recently. Means I can access and work on my docs anywhere, at work or home, or on my phone or tablet...

I'm using LibreOffice as my text editor, and storing my documents using DropBox. LibreOffice can create/edit MS Word compatible document formats, so I don't have any trouble using it at work or at home, under Linux or Windows. I believe Open Office does the same, but I haven't used it in a few years and it seems to have fallen out of favor with many.

Don't know about best -- that's a personal taste thing, I think.

I use LibreOffice, basically the same as Open. It's free to download. I can't afford MS Office. Scrivener is beloved by some, but I've never felt at home with it, nor yWriter, although I do sometimes use that for editing.

Incidentally (you probably know, but it doesn't hurt to repeat it), if you use tiered headings for Main Title, Parts (1,2,3), and Chapters, most of the Office programs will create a document map, making it easy to navigate in a larger document. It took me ages to find that out (technological dimwit).

Always back up, though, as has been suggested above. I store stuff on an external hard drive, a flash drive and Google Drive.

If you can't get MS Word, then get Open Office. DO NOT use the online systems like Google Docs because once your file starts to look like the size of a novel, the web apps slow down to a crawl. Google Docs can't handle large book size files.

I'd suggest Office 365 if you want to use Word 2013 but can't afford to pay all the money for it up front. Of course it's a subscription service, so you're always paying little amounts for it each month -- or yearly, but in return you will always have the latest version of Microsoft Office. MS is eventually moving to phasing out the offline versions of Office anyway. In the long run, it works out cheaper than buying the standalone copies of each Office release anyway.

Another vote for OPen Office - I particularly like the notes feature (CTRL ALT N) for editing and for place markers. e,g xxxxx walked in the door (Note - need a name).

I use a fairly complex folder structure on the computer for distinguishing between research, notes, draft scenes and finished scenes.

Back-up - remember to back up to a different hard drive and also to cut hard copies from time to time.

What, no votes for Scrivener?

I can't take to it. I've tried it, but whether it's me or it, we don't get along.

Because I'm a linear writer and don't tend to get bogged down in side plots and what not, I find word is fine for me. I back it up by emailing to myself about once a week, and then downloading into pages on my ipad, and using Dropbox. I also have a memory stick which I tend to back my whole computer onto about twice a year, so if I was stuck my old, old stuff would be on that. Aside from that -- notebooks! I have tons of them. But, strangely, not a single note for the current wip which just wants to be on the page.

I use Scrivener and like it, not just for how it handles writing but also how it handles versioning and exporting to e-formats.
Second choice would be LibreOffice because it does everything Word does and is free. It will save in Word format (and in many others), so that's easy.
I echo the recommendation not to use Google Docs or any other online editor. They are not robust enough to handle a novel.

In general, you will want some way to manage notes and outlines and random scraps of information. OneNote, Evernote, there's a jillion of them. One nice thing about Scrivener is that it has a place for that. One downside is that you cannot launch those as separate windows, so moving back and forth is a little clumsy.

Most important of all, though, is creating a disciplined backup system. I've talked with people who have lost literally years of work in an instant. Dropbox is my choice. I work directly there (it becomes another folder but it actually in the cloud). Then, every once in a while, when I reach a milestone, I'll burn to a CD. The CD is cheaper than a stick and has the advantage that I can label it. This makes it much easier to locate a fallback point.

All that really matters is that you 1) have a backup routine and stick to it, and 2) that part of your backup system includes off-site storage. You can replace your house, you can't replace your novel.

I tried test versions of both Scrivener and yWriter and from memory of some months ago found that they offer a lot of features on tracking characters and the like, but it is then just an exported text file for your work.

I work a lot with the notes function in Open Office both when writing and editing, and there is no equivalent in either of the writing tools. (I went into that in some detail and talked with the makers of both tools.)

I do also use the Excel equivalent in Open Office quite a bit for plotting - break down what I am thinking into columns. I can have the event in one column, then all the characters how this impacts on them, and what other info is needed.
(I used to do a lot of data analysis as a living, so spreadsheets are my go-to.)

Other than that, good old whiteboard. Also very large piece of paper (wallpaper) on the wall, with pen for writing down events, string and blue tack for joining events and post-its for commenting on them. Keep it above cat level.

What, no votes for Scrivener?

I'll definitely recommend Scrivener, but as Aber says, it's most likely down to how you like to work.

For me - a professionally disorganised miscreant - I love the way Scrivener interfaces with the creation process; the root tree on the left of the screen allows me to click on a character folder, chapter, scene or research folder and find the info I want instantly without having to open another doc file, etc. I also love the customisable features.

I just wish they'd bring the iPad version already; it's a real bother importing and exporting to/from Pages. Oh, and it should also have a button I can click to give me inspiration for the 75 word contests here :D

pH

I always come back to Word, however annoying/expensive it is. I actually use Word starter which came free with my laptop. It constantly shows an ad for the full thing but I can do all that I need to.

I use Pages on my iPad.

Dabbled with Scrivener on PC but I work on Mac a lot too and it's a bit of a pain using two different formats.

Used Open Office a lot in the past but ended up finding it too clunky when I had to do a work project at home that involved a lot of tables.

Google Drive is useful - not for whole MS editing, but for when you want to write something on your lunchbreak at work but don't necessarily want to open your full story on your work computer, for example. I use it for plot notes a lot too.

I use yWriter and have done for a while now. I find it a great way of keeping all my information in one place - I even put a few character quotes into the relevant character files which I can quickly copy and paste into the dialogue if I find a good moment for it to go in.
The only issue I've had with it is that it doesn't have any facility for adding footnotes, and this is something the creator has told me he will not be fixing because footnotes aren't used that often.

I haven't tried Scrivener, which to me sounds like you spend a couple of months learning how the interface works and still find bits to distract you when your looking for everything you can to get in your way of writing.
Old school works for me I guess. Big wall, make shift corkboard, stickynotes over chapter outlines pinned with dressmaking pins. Over the top of that chaos there's character development notes, and framing the lot there are plot relevant scrawlings.
At the other side of my writing hide-y-hole - there's my timeline & character images
I didn't say it was organised :D
The wind might blow it all down, but at least I won't lose it when the power cuts ;)

I haven't tried Scrivener, which to me sounds like you spend a couple of months learning how the interface works and still find bits to distract you when your looking for everything you can to get in your way of writing.
Old school works for me I guess. Big wall, make shift corkboard, stickynotes over chapter outlines pinned with dressmaking pins. Over the top of that chaos there's character development notes, and framing the lot there are plot relevant scrawlings.
At the other side of my writing hide-y-hole - there's my timeline & character images
I didn't say it was organised :D
The wind might blow it all down, but at least I won't lose it when the power cuts ;)

Hi,
I don't think Scrivener has much of a learning curve, really; from what I can remember when I got it a year ago, I was up and running straight off the bat (I tried to do the tutorials to familiarise myself but after half and hour I got bored and was anxious to just get on so I dived in). I'm probably not using it as comprehensively as intended but it works for me. :)

I love your method of cork board etc and if I had the space (i.e a free wall :D ) I'd be doing the same - you have mentioned something V important; if there was a power cut I'd be completely lost!

pH

Thank you everyone. You've been more than helpful. I decided to use libre office. And it's going smooth. Also backing up everything on hard drive and flash drive. I feel a lot more secure now. Can't imagine losing hundreds of pages to the digital abyss.

Do cut a CD or DVD from time to time as well. A thunderstorm can fritz a hard drive and any plugged in flash drive.