The Powers of Jon Snow ** Possible ADWD Spoilers **

ArstenWhitebeard

It has been well established by now that Jon has some “mystical” powers. He has clearly been able to see through Ghost’s eyes, even if it is not full on warging ability (yet) like we’ve seen with Bran, though it is pretty widely assumed that Jon will get there (if he isn’t dead, but we all know he isn’t)\
I would like to put forth the idea that Jon also has a talent for “Green Dreams” or prophecy though, like his warging ability, is nowhere close to being developed or even realised.

Now, for my proof. The first thing that caught my attention was in Brans Chapter when they find the wolves. When they are about to ride away after picking up the first 5 pups, Jon hears something (I might add that nobody else hears it) and goes back and, of course, finds the 6th pup, which is his albino wolf. That is when we see this line

“Bran thought it curious that this pup alone would have opened his eyes while the others were still blind”

Next, In Jon’s first chapter in which we see the Feast, Jon is talking with Uncle Benjen about how Ned, despite smiling, is troubled and that the Queen is angry. It is stated that, as a ******* he needed to learn to see things others miss as well, Uncle Benjen remarks that Jon doesn’t miss much. I know this isn’t much but... Foreshadowing?

Then, in Jon’s next chapter we get these quotes

“as he watched his uncle lead his horse into the tunnel, Jon had remembered the things that Tyrion Lannister had told him on the Kingsroad, and in his minds eye he saw Ben Stark lying dead, his blood red on the snow. The thought made him sick”

Jon foresaw Ben’s death but thought he just imagined it because he was angry, not knowing or realizing that he was correct.

Donal Note says “You know we have men on the wall whose mothers were whores”
“Not my Mother, Jon thought stubbornly. He knew nothing of his mother; Eddard Stark would not talk of her. Yet he dreamed of her at times, so often that he could almost see her face. In his dreams, she was beautiful, and highborn and her eyes were kind”

Now, granted he might just see her this way because that’s what he wants to believe, but I think the juxtaposition of him saying he knows nothing about her and that he knows she isn’t a whore in the same sentence seems suspect. I also suspect that the face he is envisioning IS his mother but because he doesn’t know who’s face it is, he can’t say for certain if its a real person. I also think this lends credence to the idea that Jon’s mother was NOT wylla. And before people jump to conclusions, this doesn’t rule our Lyanna as his mother since she died when he was born and wouldn’t know what she looks like. The statue in the crypt wouldn;t be a good reference wither since the statue may not be a great likeness of her. Ned comments that the sculptor that carved his father knew him well and later, when Robert sees lyanna’s statue he says “she was more beautiful than that” so her stone likeness may not be very accurate.

“[Jon] could feel the great weight of all that Ice pressing down on him, as if it were about to topple, and somehow Jon knew that if [the wall] fell, the world fell with it.”

Jon foreseeing that he would end up as Lord Commander, with the weight of the world and the wall on his shoulders? Also, despite the lack of evidence of “Snarks and Grumkins” Jon “somehow knew” that if the wall fell, the world fell with it... Hmmm....

And finally, for my Piece de Resistance. We all tend to agree that the Dreams that, say, Bran has, have some prophetic nature, especially his Coma dream. Below is a dream that Jon frequently has.

“Sometimes I dream about [winterfel]” he said “I’m walking down this long empty hall. My voice echoes all around me but no one answers, so I walk faster, opening doors, shouting names. I don’t even know who I’m looking for. Most nights it’s my father, but sometimes it’s Robb instead, or my little sister Arya, or my uncle”...
“Do you ever find anyone in your dream?” Sam asked.
Jon shook his head. “No one. The castle is always empty”...”Even the ravens are gone from the rookery and the stables are full of bones. That always scares me. I start to Run then, throwing open doors, climbing the tower three steps at a time, screaming for someone, anyone. And then I find myself in front of the door to the crypts. Its black inside and I can see the steps spiraling down. Somehow I know I have to go down there, but I don’t want to. I’m afraid of what might be waiting for me. The Old Kings of Winter are down there, sitting on their thrones with stone wolves at their feet and Iron swords across their laps, but it’s not them I’m afraid of. I scream that I’m not a stark, that this isn’t my place, but it’s no good, I have to go anyway, so I start down, feeling the walls as I descend, with no torch to light the way. It gets darker and darker until I want to scream”...”that’s when I always wake up.”

Jon Foresaw the ruin of Winterfel. The bones in the Stables seem important. I seem to recall something happening in/to the stables in aDwD. Also, I think this spells bad news for Arya. If you think of the other people he is sometimes looking for, Ned, Robb, Ben... They all came to untimely ends. It could just be that the people in his dreams are the people he was closest with in Winterfel, but then, why is Ben there? I’m sure Ben visited as often as possible, but he didn’t live there while Jon did. Ben was first ranger, his duties would keep him at the wall, and beyond it. Also, it is significant that his searches bring him to the Crypt, which would also seem like a bad omen, especially since he knows he has to go down there. He is also afraid of something waiting for him down there. It could be that he is afraid of his own spot in the crypt, or finding Ned or Ben or Robb or Arya down there, or of something else entirely.

Interesting points, but I think a lot of the quotes could apply to a number of theories (or indeed, none at all). I'd say that the dream comes more from Jon's sense that he was always an outsider at Winterfell, darkly judged by the Stark ancestry and his anxieties over being a *******.

As with any dreams, prophetic or not, there are probably many different takes on it, none of them particularly right or wrong and, of course, I am trying to pull the meaning I want out of it. Chuck Palhaniuk once said "what we don't understand we can make mean anything".

the things that caught my eye from that Dream were that he has had the same dream multiple times but only since leaving for the wall, and in his dreams, while most things are always the same, he is looking for different people. That's the part I think is significant just because 3 of the 4 people he looks for in his dreams have since died. One could argue that those are the people he looked for because those are the people he was closest with in Winterfel, but I still don't think Ben matches that criteria.

I cannot deny that he has anxiety about being a *******, and I would even agree that he probably feels darkly judged by the stark ancestry, but in the dream he specifies that it is not the old kings and lords of winterfel that he is frightened of, it is something else...

**cough**dragon under winterfel**Cough**Cough**

In what order and at what point in the timeline does he look for each of the people? If they appear to follow the order of the deaths of those individuals and happen just before (or even just after) those deaths then there may be something there.

I've always thought that dream was a reference to there being some clue about his parentage in the crypts. Since he's looking for someone but isn't really sure who, maybe he's looking for someone he doesn't know--his mother perhaps.

While the timeline is never very clear, Jon mentions this dream before Ned and Robb have died but after Ben goes missing. It is stated however that this dream is recurring throughout his training in the NW. As far as I know, he doesn;t mention the dream but it never states that he has stopped having the dream.

I am scouring all of Jon's chapters now for more "evidence"

Very interested to see what you come up with Arsten.

Just to play devil's advocate, you can't really say that the wolf pup having its' eyes open is evidence of special "sight" when Bran's pup had ita's eyes closed, although Jon's may be just green dreams and Bran'sis different. Still, that's not a storng piece of evidence IMO.

Good start ioverall.

You certainly have a point there Imp.

This is obviously subject to interpretation, but while obviously Bran has really started to embrace and discover his powers, Jon has not yet begun to do so. If Jon is AA, or tPtwP, it would stand to reason that he would become more powerful than Bran, he just isn't yet.

With reference to the above discussion of the people Jon is searching for in his dreams, it doesn't necessarily spell a grisly end for Arya. You could argue that Arya Stark died the day she took passage out of Westeros. On Braavos she takes on many faces. Just something to think about...

I have to admit that Jon is my favourite character in the series and I find his story the most compelling. His chapters are more often than not the ones I'm eager to reach.

Can't wait for TWOW.

Too True. It could also signify Arya becoming one of the faceless men, as that would mean that Arya is no more as she would become a true faceless(wo)man

Warging and Green Dreams are two entirely different abilities really. While I see some of the warging in Jon, I do not see much evidence of Green Dreams While Jon is observant and there are snippets of foreshadowing, there is not really an indication that he can see events to come. Interesting nonetheless. It may well be that Jon does have some undiscovered or undeveloped ability like Bran did before his fall.

It's interesting to note that Rickon also saw Ned Stark's death like Bran did, hence him being in the crypt knowing he was there. Arya has wargs into Nymeria from across the narrow sea, so she seems quite powerful when it comes to warging. I feel like this is an ability a lot, if not all (Sansa's wolf dieing, and Robb not fulling realizing it) that they have, some more powerful than the others.

I do somewhat believe that Jon is AA though, and we will see him become him when he is revived, with the "dragon steel" longclaw becoming the true light bringer, and will be one of the heads of the dragons, and fight off the others. I kind of feel like the three heads of the dragon will conquer the entire world, with the beyond the wall being Jon's fight, across the narrow sea being Deanyrs, and Aegon's being the seven kingdoms. The prophecy said that Deanrys' child would unite the world into one khalasar, but it really meant her children, i.e. the dragons, each one with a head that conquer a different part of the world.

The prophecy said that Deanrys' child would unite the world into one khalasar, but it really meant her children, i.e. the dragons, each one with a head that conquer a different part of the world.

I like this idea :) Some what of a "thinking outside of the box" , way to put it. I mean, after all she is the mother of dragons ;) they are her children too and she has referenced them as such before.

I like this idea :) Some what of a "thinking outside of the box" , way to put it. I mean, after all she is the mother of dragons ;) they are her children too and she has referenced them as such before.

Thanks. If you look at the end of aDwD, Deanrys is surrounded by her former Khalasar as she eats horse meat with one of her dragons. I believe this is a point when they finally realize what those that stayed saw in her, and why her bloodriders stayed with her despite it being such a disgrace to be ruled by a woman. I don't think they have any choice but to follow her. I mean, the Dothraki follow power and being able to ride a horse? What's better and more powerful than riding a dragon? Not to mention her major victories leading up to this point. I forsee the different Khalasars joining her throughout Winds of Winter, finally becoming one Khalasar.

Also, after she wins this victory with the aid of the Iron Fleet, and now this Khal and her dragons, what is really left to stand against her across the narrow sea? It seems like all the major powers have amassed here to defeat her.

I'm pretty much on board with Arsten's theory....if for no other reason than he quoted Chuck Palhaniuk and anybody who is a Chuck Palhaniuk fan is top notch in my book. I had a lot of the same conclusions about that dream sequence (dragon under Winterfell, Jon saying his place is not in the crypt yet still being compelled to go there, etc). Also, the observations about the long-distance warging capabilities of the Stark kids and the implication that Jon's abilities may be stronger than Bran's, but not yet tapped.....could we be talking about warging into a dragon? If anybody could do it, a powerful warg, half Stark / half Targ could. :p

I think it's also important to note that Bran's true power began to emerge after his recovery from what was assumed to be a fatal accident.

**cough**cough** daggers in the dark**cough**cough**

:eek:

I think it's also important to note that Bran's true power began to emerge after his recovery from what was assumed to be a fatal accident.

That's a very interesting observation...

What other Wargs/Greenseers do we know of:

Bloodraven: Lost an eye fighting against his brothers. Do we know if his powers came after this?

Bran: Tossed off a tower for the sake of love and paralyzed from the waist down.

Arya: Starts seeing through the cat's eyes when she loses use of her own.

I'm pretty much on board with Arsten's theory....if for no other reason than he quoted Chuck Palhaniuk and anybody who is a Chuck Palhaniuk fan is top notch in my book. I had a lot of the same conclusions about that dream sequence (dragon under Winterfell, Jon saying his place is not in the crypt yet still being compelled to go there, etc). Also, the observations about the long-distance warging capabilities of the Stark kids and the implication that Jon's abilities may be stronger than Bran's, but not yet tapped.....could we be talking about warging into a dragon? If anybody could do it, a powerful warg, half Stark / half Targ could. :p

Thanks Jules. who knows how powerful Jon might be when HE ends up in a coma and starts seeing a 3 eyed crow, though this time it will have been sent by Bran.

Also, In jon's first wolf dream Bran comes to him (through Time I might add) and tells him to open his eye. jon/Ghost also senses that Bran is in a place that smells like earth and stone and death. While this seems like it is more a testament to Brans powers, being able to reach Jon when he is in need of Bran's help, i think it foreshadows something bad for Bran as well.

Anyway, So far the Winterfel dream is mentioned only once more, Prior to Jon's encounter with his first wight.

"He was wandering the empty castle again, searching for his father, descending into the crypts. only this time the dream had gone further than before. In the dark he' heard the scrape of stone on stone. When he turned he saw that the vaults were opening, one after the other. As the dead Kings came stumbling from their cold black graves, Jon had woken in pitch-drak, his heart hammering. Even when Ghost lept up on the bed to nuzzle at his face, he could not shake his deep sense of terror"

Not much more to go on in that. still not sure what it means.

What I find very interesting about Bran's powers as a greenseer, with spoliers from The Winds of Winter (Theon's preview chapter) was that even though they tell him people can't hear him when we tries to speak to people through the wierwoods, it seems like they do hear him, if ever so slightly to pique their interest, so much so that Theon is delighted about the idea of being executed in front of a wierwood.

I personally don't see anything bad happening to Bran, although who really knows. I see him, or at least one of the Reeds, finally revealing Jon's true parentage, since the only one besides Ned that knows was their father, and Bran could possibly figure out through the wierwoods to figure it out.

I do see Jon becoming much more powerful after his revival, potentially coming back as AA. I don't see him becoming a more powerful warg than Bran, the Winged Wolf. Him warging into one of the dragons, I do absolutely see though.

Back