Know the ending of the book when strarting to write

Haidi

Hi!
Small thread about...

Do you know the ending of your story when you start writing?:)

Usually yes, and if not it comes to me pretty soon after I start writing. That's only because I get a bit twitchy if I don't have a plan ;)

Never - and the few times I thought I did the book went in a totally different direction and gave me a different ending anyway. Usually I write a sentence look at it and feel a sense of satisfaction that that is the end. The stories in my head and my mind in general are completely calm and serene for days afterwards. If I try to write any more on that particular project after that it never works.

Last edited:
I always have to have an ending when I start, otherwise it has to wait.

It may not actually be the ending.

I do. I plan my books from start to end and even outline the chapters now too. Things will change, but all I have to do is go back and edit my notes so when I get to that point it's already updated.

I do it because I need structure to keep me focused.

I usually know it after I'm into the second or third chapter, maybe. It's the middle bit I don't know about. Although with what I'm trying to write at the mo, I haven't got a clue.

You'll get the usual split between planners and freeflow writers, we've never had a poll on this but it looks to be 50:50.

I always have an ending in mind, it can change and move as the plot grows - but there's always a plan for me.

As per Christian as well, I like having structure too.

I haven't written the last line or anything, but yeah. Everything is outlined. It's hard for me to write a focused story otherwise. (I outline short stories for the same reason.)

Springs, I'm just the opposite: I know the end, but rarely consciously know what I'm writing about until half way through. This often means a ton of rewriting, but usually the end survives.

I think having a great ending is important. Sometimes it's possible to start with the ending and work backwards - how do I get to that ending from Point Z? How do I combine storylines X and Y into Point Z? How do I get from Points V to W, and T to U, in those two storylines? How...etc etc all the way back to A

Springs, I'm just the opposite: I know the end, but rarely consciously know what I'm writing about until half way through. This often means a ton of rewriting, but usually the end survives.

Ah, not knowing the plot gives tons of rewriting, too... I don't know how good am I as a writer, but I can sure rewrite. :rolleyes: practice...:)

I knew the ending in my head of how I wanted to end my WIP when I started but as I write it , things change so who knows?

I am sure it will be totally different as I add and change characters, and plot lines.

The great advantage with starting at the end is that everything you add before the end is essential to the plot - you won't have any loose ends plotwise, just sort of trailing off and being forgotten. You might have the opposite - Starting off with a plethora of loose beginnings (just like most books seem to do, in fact)

I have the end in mind. This is something I wish more writers would do when embarking on a story in several parts. There is nothing worse than a nonsensical, meandering conclusion to a trilogy. After all, once the first two books are done and dusted and out there you can't go back and insert foreshadowing to the amazing conclusion you dream up at the last minute ;)

Yup I know the end.

IT's the target I aim for and then head in that direction until I hit that target. Obviously the journey might not turn out to be the straight line I thought but it gets there in the end.

In my current WiP I know how the current book ends, and I know how the over all sequence ends.

I might not plan things out as such, but I go in with a good idea of what the story is.

The great advantage with starting at the end is that everything you add before the end is essential to the plot - you won't have any loose ends plotwise, just sort of trailing off and being forgotten. You might have the opposite - Starting off with a plethora of loose beginnings (just like most books seem to do, in fact)

I tried to do that with one of my WIPs. Instead my brain started coming up with ideas for a sequel before it started working out any of the details for the original idea.

I never know the end -- how can I when it grows from what I'm writing before it? (I am not an outliner, I discover the story as I write)

That said I do keep an ending in mind. It is usually 'And then everything explodes!' However, I rarely keep it :D

Back