(Found) Need sci-fi book title: ending had Hero protagonist in jet-black, lobster like spacesuit sitting on outside of space ship

lupuslefou

I'm really glad I found this website! I've been trying to recall this book for years now and I really hope this community could help me.

The part that stuck with me from this sci-fi book was the ending; the hero protagonist, in a bid to escape being found, ended up in a community whereby everyone had sealed/wired themselves into these jet-black, lobster like spacesuits. These lobster suits were somehow entirely self-contained and enabled them to sit on the outside of a skeletal, framework only spaceship and amplify their senses so that they could listen to the hiss, crackle, pop of the planets and stars.

I believe this novel was written in the 80's or 90's, but that simply a guess.

Hopefully, this sounds familiar to someone out there.

Possibly Cicada Queen by Bruce Sterling -- 1982

From Wikipedia
Shaper/Mechanist universe
The Shapers attempt to push the limits by manipulating the human body itself, through genetic modification and highly specialized psychological training. The Shapers are aristocratic, placing heavy emphasis on "gene-lines"—to be "unplanned" (i.e., born) is considered a serious disadvantage. Their methods could best be described as "organic." Shaper society, based around the Military-Academic complex, is described as fascist.

In contrast, the Mechanists have disdain for the Shapers' methods and instead prefer to use cybernetic augmentation, advanced computer software, technical expertise, and drugs to achieve their goals.

The "Lobsters" are Mechanists who permanently seal their bodies into life-support shells allowing them to live and work in deep space. Some Mechanists even go as far as to become "wireheads"—individuals with no corporeal body who are simply manifested as computer simulations. The Mechanist philosophy favors individualism more than the collectivist Shapers.