Editing and Finding an Agent

A. S. Behsam

So I managed to edit my 189.000 words first draft down to 140.000 words sixth draft before I sent it off to my editor. :) It was a hard but fun thing to do... 'killing my darlings' ;)

But, guys, I'm very nervous about the whole finding an agent thing...

Do you think living in a foreign country under so much political pressure, I still can find an agent? :confused:

Wll I am new here, and am just starting off writing well my first draft anyway but I think you would still be able to, maybe send it to an agent out of country?

Aty, I know you speak of an editor, but have you had anyone else look at the draft to give you feedback? I think it might be an idea to put a little bit up in Critiques so you can get some more opinions before sending out to agents -- it's tempting to rush that stage but better to get things sorted out first, because you don't get a second chance.

As for agents, I don't think the fact you live in Iran will cause any problems which can't be overcome, so don't worry about that -- and, actually, I think agents and publishers are looking for different "voices" which might well come from the fact you live in conditions which are different from ours in the West. Approach agents professionally and you'll be fine.

Meanwhile, I'll move this over to General Writing Discussion as it's not exactly a Publishing matter.

PS Hello pokiepup -- Welcome to the Chrons!

It's my understanding that with the big push for the digital age and debit cards, publishing has gone international in the fact that it doesn't matter where you are in the world, a publisher/agent will consider you because it's all handled through email - apart from the ones that are still a bit old fashioned and don't accept digital submissions.

The only difference, agent-wise, is that they generally charge a slightly higher percentage than for domestic authors. They're more interested in finding quality manuscripts and authors than what nationality they are. In fact, as TJ points out, there is a push now to have a more diverse range of voices. If nothing else, it proves that people are people.

Best of luck. :)

...apart from the ones that are still a bit old fashioned and don't accept digital submissions.

My understanding is that this isn't out of Luddite tendencies, but because it discourages idle queries - it costs nothing to spam every agent in the directory. Once you've made initial contact and the agent has shown interest, further communication will normally be via email.

The only difference, agent-wise, is that they generally charge a slightly higher percentage than for domestic authors.

Do they? I know many agents charge a higher commission for overseas sales (overseas to them, that is). Not for overseas authors.

As for having an agent while living in a different country - that's exactly what I do. My agent is in the US, I'm in the UK.

Good luck in your agent hunt!

Wll I am new here, and am just starting off writing well my first draft anyway but I think you would still be able to, maybe send it to an agent out of country?

That's what I meant, actually. I'd never try to get published in my country; the approval authorities would chop it off into pieces, make me beg for it, and in the end they would just reject it and punish me for applying in the first place!

Aty, I know you speak of an editor, but have you had anyone else look at the draft to give you feedback? I think it might be an idea to put a little bit up in Critiques so you can get some more opinions before sending out to agents -- it's tempting to rush that stage but better to get things sorted out first, because you don't get a second chance.

As for agents, I don't think the fact you live in Iran will cause any problems which can't be overcome, so don't worry about that -- and, actually, I think agents and publishers are looking for different "voices" which might well come from the fact you live in conditions which are different from ours in the West. Approach agents professionally and you'll be fine.

Yes, a few people have read it and given me feedback, but I should give it to a few professionals as well :)

That's very encouraging, thank you so much :)

It's my understanding that with the big push for the digital age and debit cards, publishing has gone international in the fact that it doesn't matter where you are in the world, a publisher/agent will consider you because it's all handled through email - apart from the ones that are still a bit old fashioned and don't accept digital submissions.

Thank you :)

The only difference, agent-wise, is that they generally charge a slightly higher percentage than for domestic authors. They're more interested in finding quality manuscripts and authors than what nationality they are. In fact, as TJ points out, there is a push now to have a more diverse range of voices. If nothing else, it proves that people are people.

Best of luck. :)

Thanks a lot ^_^

Do they? I know many agents charge a higher commission for overseas sales (overseas to them, that is). Not for overseas authors.

As for having an agent while living in a different country - that's exactly what I do. My agent is in the US, I'm in the UK.

Good luck in your agent hunt!

Thanks a lot, that's encouraging :)

I'd second The Judge's suggestion that you put a small section of your writing on Critiques.

May I ask what sort of fiction you write? Fantasy? Science Fiction?

One other thing - I know Ace (part of Penguin group) and Pyr both accept unagented submissions, at least for now, so they may also be an option. :)

Maybe I've misinterpreted the wording on some of the agent website, then, Kmq. If so, I happily stand corrected. :)

I think what you are looking at is the international rights. The agent might take a higher percentage as a fee for selling the book outside of their country. I suspect this is because when selling internationally they have to work in with a second, foreign rights, agent who is also taking a cut of the profit. I think.

I think what you are looking at is the international rights. The agent might take a higher percentage as a fee for selling the book outside of their country. I suspect this is because when selling internationally they have to work in with a second, foreign rights, agent who is also taking a cut of the profit. I think.

Yes, the higher percentage only kicks in when the agent is working with another agent (or agents) to sell the book outside whatever country the agent is working in (not the author). For instance, an agent in the US might work with an agent who represents the book in European markets.

But a lot of the time the publisher will want world rights, and will take charge of selling the book to foreign markets. In which case, the agent only gets his or her usual percentage, and the original publisher gets a cut of sales to foreign publishers. (An agent takes a smaller cut than a publisher does, but the publisher has usually paid the writer something extra for those rights up front, and it depends on the publisher and the agent which one is going to be more diligent about selling the book overseas.)

I'd second The Judge's suggestion that you put a small section of your writing on Critiques.

May I ask what sort of fiction you write? Fantasy? Science Fiction?

One other thing - I know Ace (part of Penguin group) and Pyr both accept unagented submissions, at least for now, so they may also be an option. :)

I will soon; I have to do a bit critiquing first so I can expect people to give me feedback :)

I've always loved writing romance but I never thought THE book turns out to be fantasy/romance; my main project is a YA fantasy romance titled 'The Autumnal Equinox' :)

Oh, thank you ^_^