1. A community of fans, aspiring writers, and published novelists, we are the world's largest - and friendliest! - science fiction and fantasy forums.

Registration is free, and we regularly give away free books and DVDs.

So why not join now and meet people with similar interests and tastes in books, movies, and TV?

Dismiss Notice

"Tanks" by Murray Leinster (Jan. 1930 Astounding)

Discussion in 'Classic SF&F' started by VideoChrist, Mar 22, 2012.

VideoChrist

VideoChrist Science fiction fantasy

I just bought all the 1930 Astoundings on a DVD for $10, from "uberscans." (Some issues have missing pages.) Murray Leinster has a story, "Tanks," in the first issue. According to isfdb, "Tanks" has never been reprinted. After reading the story I have to wonder why -- it's a fairly gritty, well-written, future (for its time) war story. Far weaker stories from the era have been anthologized.

For whatever peculiar reason, though, an audio reading of the story is available online:

http://www.archive.org/details/LeinsterTanks

Has anyone else read "Tanks"? What do you think of it?

--Chris DeVito

Attached Files:

VideoChrist

No one else has read "Tanks"? If nothing else, you can download the audio for free and listen to it. It's worth it.

Alex The G and T

Alex The G and T Thar! That Blows.

I missed this thread earlier.

For a minute, i thought that I had read "Tanks" recently. I was confusing it with The Tank Lords by David Drake; crossed with a small binge of other Leinster titles from the Baen free elibrary.

The Drake is terrible. A relentless barrage of carnage, without much actual story telling getting in the way.

Leinster's deliciously archaic. Amazon has a kindle version of Tanks, cheap. I'll have to check that out one of these days.
    http://www.amazon.com/Tanks-ebook/dp/B003ZK5PNY

VideoChrist

Thanks (maybe I should say "Tanks"...) for the heads-up about the Kindle version, I didn't know it was available. Definitely worth a dollar. (Though I wonder who's getting that dollar...Leinster's estate? Or just Amazon?)