So... Eastercon?

Complete noob question: when one "joins", is this the action that gives you access to the convention, or is there another step and payment? (By the way, I'm considering being there for the whole duration and my joining would be appropriate to that.)

(Yes, I'm almost sure I can attend. :))

Hi, Ursa, yes, joining means you become a member and have full access to the con and all that goes on there. Look forward to seeing you there.

Thanks.

Yes, and see you and (the other) Ian, and (I hope) everyone else there. :)

The Rocket Science launch will be at 12 noon on the Sunday in the Tetworth room. There'll also be a "The Science of Rocket Science" panel at 3 pm that same day.

And, of course, I'll be at the BSFA Awards presentation, as I'm in the non-fiction shortlist.

I shall be reading an excerpt from The Alchemist of Souls at 1pm on Saturday, also in the Tetworth Room, and I'm on at least 3 panels. Not sure what's happening re launching the book, but it will be on sale at the Angry Robot stall in the Dealers' Room.

And if you can't get to Eastercon, I'm doing a signing at Waterstones in Manchester on Saturday 31st March :)

http://angryrobotbooks.com/2012/03/...c-signing-waterstones-mcr-arndale-march-31st/

I downloaded the programme last night: it'll take until the opening day to work out where to go and when.

(I note, Anne, that for the panel, How Pseudo do you like your Medieval?, you're joined by GRRM, amongst others; a daunting prospect, perhaps, but also a great opportunity.)

(I note, Anne, that for the panel, How Pseudo do you like your Medieval?, you're joined by GRRM, amongst others; a daunting prospect, perhaps, but also a great opportunity.)

I know - I'm still pinching myself! :eek:

I'm glad I've had a little bit of panel practice at other conventions. It would be horribly daunting if it were my first. As it is, I'm looking forward to it - I have a reading and signing a hour after it ends, so it's fantastic publicity!

I have a reading and signing a hour after it ends, so it's fantastic publicity!

Well, Anne, two things.

First, with Alchemist of Souls released on the 5th, what if Amazon don't deliver my pre-ordered copy in time for me to take it and get it signed? :mad:

Maybe I'll just have to appear why you're appearing another time. Unless we should all just buy another copy at Heathrow, or copies for all our family members?

Second, it is amazing how much publicity I'm seeing for Alchemist of Souls!!! I can only assume this reflect the extent of Angry Robot's belief in the work, so well deserved.

"On a panel with GRRM" … Sorry, at the thought I feel the need to lie down.

Coragem.

First, with Alchemist of Souls released on the 5th, what if Amazon don't deliver my pre-ordered copy in time for me to take it and get it signed? :mad:

You should be OK - Amazon usually ship before the official release date (I'm reliably informed that The Book Depository already has it in stock). I wouldn't be surprised if most branches of Waterstones have them on the shelves by next Saturday. No point having stock taking up space in the stockroom when it could be on sale!

Second, it is amazing how much publicity I'm seeing for Alchemist of Souls!!! I can only assume this reflect the extent of Angry Robot's belief in the work, so well deserved.

Thank you! I know they think it has good commercial potential, and their sales'n'marketing efforts have elicited some serious interest from bookshops and magazines :)

"On a panel with GRRM" … Sorry, at the thought I feel the need to lie down.

Yeah, me too!

Just to point out to anyone thinking of nipping along to this year's Eastercon, Olympus, at the last minute, that the convention has announced this morning that memberships are closed, and that there will be no day memberships available on the door; they're full.

http://www.olympus2012.org/

A question: are they laying in supplies of petrol (and diesel)?

A more serious question: is the programme likely to be subject to (published**) changes until the last minute, or is it normally fixed by, say, end of business Thursday the 5th?

** - As opposed to ad hoc changes caused by people scheduled to appear falling ill.

A more serious question: is the programme likely to be subject to (published**) changes until the last minute, or is it normally fixed by, say, end of business Thursday the 5th?

The programme will almost certainly be pretty much what's showing now, Ursa. As you suggest, the only likely changes are those caused by a participant or two falling ill or being unable to attend; unless something dramatic happens in the genre world between now and then (and I don't mean the controversy currently sweeping the net regarding the Clarke Award shortlist).

I can imagine that organising something like that is a logistical nightmare - and once they've published it, all the panel participants (like me) are going to be publicising their schedule to their fans, so any last-minute changes will need a damned good reason! :)

Any shuffling of events would have gone on behind the scenes before the programme was released on the site - I got my event listing two weeks ago, so that I could confirm my availability.

Just to invite those attending Eastercon to come and drink fine wine and cider at my expense, marvel at beautifully presented literary works, and mingle with such noble authors as Tricia Sullivan, Adrian Tchaikovsky, Ian Watson, Aliette de Bodard, Lavie Tidhar, Sophia McDougall, Neil Williamson, Una McCormack, Rebecca J Payne, Andy West, Finn Clarke, etc...

Friday, 5.00pm, to mark the launch of:

Saving for a Sunny Day -- Ian Watson
The Outcast and the Little One -- Andy West
Dark Currents -- Adrian Tchaikovsky, Tricia Sullivan, Adam Nevill, Lavie Tidhar, Aliette de Bodard, Nina Allan, Sophia McDougall, Rod Rees, Neil Williamson, Una McCormack, etc.

Go on... you know you want to... :)

And on Sunday at noon in room 12 (Tetworth) Mutation Press will be launching Rocket Science, an anthology of hard sf and non-fiction. In the same room at 3pm that day there will also be a panel on "The Science of Rocket Science".

Copies of my novella, Adrift on the Sea of Rains, will also be available.

Just to invite those attending Eastercon to come and drink fine wine and cider at my expense, marvel at beautifully presented literary works, and mingle with such noble authors as Tricia Sullivan, Adrian Tchaikovsky, Ian Watson, Aliette de Bodard, Lavie Tidhar, Sophia McDougall, Neil Williamson, Una McCormack, Rebecca J Payne, Andy West, Finn Clarke, etc...

That's two members of my writing group (Una and Rebecca) in one anthology - I'll definitely be there!

Great Con!!:D Bought way too many books, drank way too much wine, and had one too many Mc Donalds (The food in the hotel was expensive!)

I also had a very geek moment and had my photo taken sitting on "that chair," you know, the one made of lots of swords melted together. Still I wasn't the only one. I saw a number of best selling authors also having geek moments and sitting on the forementioned chair ;)

There also was a surprise panel with two of the cast members from Game of Thrones. John Bradley who plays Samwell Tarley and Miltos Yerolemou who plays Syrio Forel, the sword master. The latter gent did some "sword work" with volunteers from the audience and it was great fun to watch.