A thought about Game of Thrones on TV

Well the first season DVDs arrived a few weeks ago but I was so wrapped up in re-reading Weber's Honor Harrington books that I put the viewing on hold.

My better half an I watched the first episode yesterday and plan to take it 1 episode per day. Since MBH has not yet read the books it is interesting to get her take on things. Really enjoyed the first episode and not just because of all the great nekkid women either.:)

I do wonder what someone who has not read the books makes of it, particularly the multiple settings and huge cast of speaking characters. For me, though, it was like meeting old friends (although the definition of the term, friend, might need a little broadening for some of them).

Now I've seen the disks - I won't subscribe to Sky Atlantic - I have to say I'm impressed. Yes, the book and season are not in 100% agreement, but I can't think of anything further from the butchering one sometimes sees.

In the highly unlikely event that I bump into GRRM, I'll have to congratulate him not only on the books but also their adaptation to the "small" screen. I don't think I've ever seen Fantasy on the TV that so easily throws off its genre-ghetto shackles and instead looks like a particularly good example of history brought to life on the box. I don't think I experienced even the slightest temptation to genre-cringe** at anything (something all too common with just about every other example of TV Fantasy).

As for the opening credits: hidden info-dumping at its best. The theme music, which I didn't much care for when I first heard it last year, is a definite earworm.

** - I use this term because I know that some have found the sexposition (which I prefer to call info-humping) somewhat off-putting. While I was expecting far more screen time to be devoted to it, given the publicity during the season's run, it did veer towards cringe-making. However, the contents of these scenes was in no way genre specific; these sorts of scenes are present in many TV adaptations, whether of explicitly literary opuses or more mainstream, genre or cult books.

I received the dvd box set as an early b-day present (they knew I would not shut up till I got it! :D

Anyway, I think the thing I like most (although the packaging is fantastic!) are the cast interviews. It is great how in each one I have watched so far the actor seems totally enamored with their character. They start out saying he (she) is this or that but within a few sentences it becomes "I" as if they are their character.

Okay - this will probably sound very shallow, but take this as a POV of a TV Exec.

We all know the story is ACE, however the wider public do not. I think we all know whats very good at selling a TV programme nowadays, after a certain time of day ;)

We did get to see A LOT of Dany - very nice eye candy, not a bad hook. Right from the off in Episode 1 wasnt it?

If Dany had to "feature" in that way to keep the audience, it seems odd that in season two they've not followed the book, A Clash of Kings, with respect to the "wardrobe malfunction" aspect of Dany's attire.

Dany naked all the time and getting sex-lessons from her former prostitute slave... Everything with Roz and some big floppin' full frontal Theon... the scenes with Renly and Loras...

A lot of interesting additions.

We cheated on our own schedule today and watched episodes 2 and 3. I am pretty sure I mentioned somewhere here on the threads that I love Ayra but just in case let me say again. I love Arya. What a great character and it only gets better as the story moves on.

I am also struck by what seems to be excellent casting. So far I am not disappointed and am actually frequently really pleased by who was picked to play particular characters. Not so much because of their looks mind you, Dany beautiful as she is does not look like my mental image, but more because they seem to have captured the essence of the character. Now perhaps that is simply fine acting and I acknowledge that element but in many cases such as Littlefinger I have not yet seen enough of the character to say wow, great acting, and yet he seems so correct in that part. Anyway, doubt we will be able to stick to 1 episode per day although it is difficult to get MBH to sit down for more than an hour at a time. :)

Personally I love Dany, and her story and I think seeing this part of her story is important.
It shows how she becomes who she is and why. It explains a lot of her motivation. Her scenes aren't just important because of her interaction with Khal Drogo, but also her interaction Viserys, whose shadow she steps out from under.

Timba, I loved Arya too! I thought she was absolutely outstanding and just owned the role.

There were parts I could have done without. There's a certain info-hump scene with Littlefinger (I think maybe Episode 7??) that was over the top and completely out of character (not that the TV audience would know, though), but aside from little niggles like that, I thought the TV series was fantastic.

I'm hoping they tone down the sex-for-the-hell-of-it a teeny bit in the next season.

Monday night!! (in the UK) Can't wait!

Mesana,
Good to hear I have more to look forward to. I am actually in the process of changing my provider for TV, my cable has simply gotten too expensive, and part of the intro offer for whichever satelite system I choose will provide 3 free months of HBO. If my timing is good I think this is going to work out beautifully.

Being a pretty typical guy I would have to say they can keep the gratuitous sex and nudity coming but then I suppose that is not surprising :)

I'm hoping they tone down the sex-for-the-hell-of-it a teeny bit in the next season.

Dare I say it (and bring all his adoring fans down upon me) but regarding the above comment - Mr GRRM didnt so why should they? ;)

These Q&As are to be found in this interview with Benioff and Weiss:
More sex, less sex, than season 2?
Weiss: It seems about the same. There’s not a checklist. You just have to do what feels right to you and not worry too much about it. [You don't] start counting how many breasts per episode or how many full‑frontal male nudity shots. There are always going to be people who think there’s too much. There will be some who want to see less. One of the benefits of HBO that we can give a more well‑rounded representation of life. And that sex is a part of it and darkness is a part of it, and so is the humor.

Does anybody have a nude scene in season 2 that didn’t have one in season 1?
Weiss: I will say the answer is yes. I can’t say who.

Dare I say it (and bring all his adoring fans down upon me) but regarding the above comment - Mr GRRM didnt so why should they? ;)

Fair point. I guess you can gloss over these parts in a book, however they tend to be a bit more in your face on the TV screen.

I'm not adverse to sex scenes when they're relevant to the story. I thought Dany and Drogo's wedding night was well done, even though that's not how it happened in the book. It laid the groundwork for Dany's personal transformation and for the growth in her relationship with Drogo. Renly & Loras's scene also established their relationship and planted seeds for future plots for the throne. I may have watched that scene again once or thrice. Ahem. Moving on ...

The scene with Littlefinger in the brothel was my biggest bugbear. Yeah, it gave him a chance to talk about his history with Cat (something he would never do in the books), but naked women going at it didn't really bring anything extra to the scene. It was sex for the sake of it. I actually wonder if many guys who watched that scene and hadn't read the books would even remember anything of what he said!!

I hope that for every flash of Roz's pink bits, or Hodor's hodor, we get more slurping noises from Loras and Renly. It's only fair after all!! :p:D

Hey Mouse! We start talking about Loras & Renly and up you pop! :D

The scene with Littlefinger in the brothel was my biggest bugbear. Yeah, it gave him a chance to talk about his history with Cat (something he would never do in the books), but naked women going at it didn't really bring anything extra to the scene. It was sex for the sake of it. I actually wonder if many guys who watched that scene and hadn't read the books would even remember anything of what he said!!
Of course they would remember: this scene is the first time we've heard the naked truth from Littlefinger. :rolleyes::)

(We got a second helping of Lord Baelish describing his ambitions, when he was talking to Varys. If these scenes had been in the books, and knowing how tricksy GRRM is, I'd be wondering what Littlefinger's real ambitions were....)

Anyone else think that they should have left out Daenerys entirely and had her sections as dvd extras? Characters in the kingdom(s) could have simply mentioned her as it is, and we would have had a lot more screen time with characters that actually have bearing on the story we're watching. Then she could be introduced in season 3, perhaps. Easily done, and then season 1 wouldn't have felt so rushed given that she hasn't any actual bearing on the main storylines until later. Thoughts?

This is how I stayed sane reading the first 3 novels. I skipped the sections about dragon-lady and sword-girl (after she got on a boat, anyway) entirely.

I hope that for every flash of Roz's pink bits, or Hodor's hodor, we get more slurping noises from Loras and Renly. It's only fair after all!! :p:D

As a straight male whose natural reaction to the Loras/Renly thing was a gut-wrenching "ewwwwwwww", I will admit that I think it was the right thing for the story, and that its addition improved on the original. Those two characters make a lot more sense seen through that lens.

As a straight male whose natural reaction to the Loras/Renly thing was a gut-wrenching "ewwwwwwww", I will admit that I think it was the right thing for the story, and that its addition improved on the original. Those two characters make a lot more sense seen through that lens.

Just viewed that scene yesterday and I would have to agree, not my cup of tea but it seemed "proper" for the characters and the story. Besides, I have been married 20+ years, I can tume out anything I do not want to hear effortlessly. :D

Back