Eric Brown

Behni

Juno
I couldn't sleep so I decided to see what others think of an author I am beginning to like quite a bit. So far I have read Engineman and Guardians of the Phoenix... I may have searched wrong, but I couldn't come up with any results for his name.

My brother seems to find cool books more often than me, so I quite often will snoop through his stash. He got me hooked on Larry Niven back in the day. I stole his copy of Engineman and read it before him, and then picked up Guardians from a book store afew days ago. I haven't read a book that fast in quite some time, think I bought it on a Tuesday and was finishing it Thursday morning. I've always loved end-of-the-world type stuff and found this version really intriguing.

Anyway, he's been around a while.. anyone have any opinions?

I read a book of his last year called Helix. Personally, i enjoyed it and expected some kind of sequel. I do like the sound of Engineman and will try to pick up up on my next haul. (I've been distracted by Asher. :) )

I can also highly recommend the signed limited edition novella Starship Fall... but then, since I published it, I probably would

Should I mention that the book is available at a discount to any Chrons member who PMs me...? :rolleyes:

Eric Brown, photo taken at the NewCon Press 5th Anniversay party, London, Saturday July 9th, 2011:
264058_10150310983963072_575893071_9214417_2137749_n.jpg

I've only read one of his books, Kethani, because it got good reviews.I enjoyed it but I wasn't enthralled. However, I would try another of his books if I came across one. I think that maybe Kethani just wasn't the right book for me. Here is a rave review on Walker of Worlds, a site whose reviews I enjoy very much.

I've known Eric for years. He's a good bloke and a very good sf writer. He says he thinks The Kings of Eternity is the best thing he's written, though I've yet to read it myself. Personally, I thought Helix was one of his weaker novels - I much preferred Kéthani. His short stories are also excellent, and it's worth tracking down one of his collections.

As Ian says, Eric rates The Kings of Etertinity as the best novel he's written and, coincidentally, a similarly entitled short, "Eternity's Children", as the best piece of short fiction he's produced to date. This 9,000 word story is co-written with Keith Brooke, and is due to appear in Solaris Rising: the New Book of Solaris SF later this year.

The current edition of Engine Man released by Solaris collects not only the novel of that title but also various short stories set in the same universe, so is worth checking out.

I also enjoyed Kethani -- a novel constructed from a series of linked short stories published in various venues over the years. It combines some of Eric's favourite themes -- aliens, enduring friendship, and Timothy Taylor's Landlord (Eric's favourite beer).

I'm seeing Eric next week, when we shall be supping another ale that we both particularly enjoy, Old Peculiar... which probably says a fair bit about both of us. :rolleyes:

Well that is cool. When you see him, you can mention that he has a new fan way over here on Vancouver Island in BC.

Looking forward to reading some more of his stuff.

I very much enjoy Eric's stuff, in fact I don't think I've read a book of his I dislike up to now!

Like others have mentioned, both Helix and Kethani a collection of short stories with linking sections between each) are great, while The Fall of Tartarus is another collection of shared setting stories. Kings of Eternity is the best book I've read this year, no doubt, so that comes highly recommended. Engineman is also good, and having all the short stories included is a bonus. I think the Bengal Station trilogy - Necropath, Xenopath and Cosmopath - are awesome and definitely some of the better psychic detective-type novels I've read. His first novel, Meridian Days, is also worth checking out.

As for novellas, you've got both Starship Summer and (as Ian mentioned) Starship Fall, with two further ones to come over the next couple of years - both thoroughly enjoyable, and I'm currently about to re-read SF so I can finally get a review up for it! Approaching Omega is another, slightly different, novella - think along the lines of Pandorum and you're not far off.

I've got Penumbra and Guardians of the Phoenix sitting on the shelf at home waiting to be read, plus the Virex Trilogy - New York Nights, New York Dreams and New York Blues - which I started but couldn't quite get into due to various reasons, but must revisit soon. There's also a whole host of other collections and novellas I need to pick up...

I very much enjoy Eric's stuff, in fact I don't think I've read a book of his I dislike up to now!

Welcome to the Chrons, Mark! :) About time you found your way here. Hope you enjoy yourself on the different forums.