Are we living in a 'Golden Age'?

On this topic, though, it should be mentioned that a lot of the small, independent presses issue a lot of volumes of short stories, frequently new material as well as anthologies of previously-published work; and one shouldn't forget e-zines, either, which may not be as well-known, or found in "the corner store", but they are publishing some good material as well.... So the short story certainly isn't dead; just not as easily tracked down as it was then....

Hmm, yes. I was going to make a point about that but must have glossed over it. Sorry.

No apologies necessary. My problem with these is just that: they aren't that well-known, or that accessible to people in general, because they don't have the sort of general distribution that the magazines of "yesteryear" had. One almost has to have a network of people to bring them to one's attention, or stumble upon them by accident and then suggest them to others, to get such things the attention they may deserve. This makes the idea of a "golden age" in the usual sense a good deal more problematic, even if the material which is actually out there is of the highest quality....

Too true. I feel that in this age of social media, more authors could (and probably should) do more to advertise the anthologies and E-zines that publish them. What do you think?

Too true. I feel that in this age of social media, more authors could (and probably should) do more to advertise the anthologies and E-zines that publish them. What do you think?

I think that would probably be a good idea... certainly, there are plenty of outlets for getting the word out there; but this will take a considerable shift in traditional thinking, and may not happen for a good while....

On this topic, though, it should be mentioned that a lot of the small, independent presses issue a lot of volumes of short stories, frequently new material as well as anthologies of previously-published work; and one shouldn't forget e-zines, either, which may not be as well-known, or found in "the corner store", but they are publishing some good material as well.... So the short story certainly isn't dead; just not as easily tracked down as it was then....

Of course there are people doing those things but problem its hard to get hold of.

I see press stop type stores who have alot of magazine like that but not SFF ones.

E-zine might be as well be dead thing for book,mag readers like me. I will never read online.

Back