A difficult one ...

Somni

[FONT=&quot]This has been bugging me for about a week after reading an article on jungle equipment. I read this book quite a while ago so probably 10-20 years ago. All I can remember for definite was that the hero was armed with a machete. It was definitely a machete, not a sword etc.

The rest escapes me though possibly the following are true:

1)The enemy were aliens
2)The book was set in a single location/planet.
3) I recall no higher technology items.
4) The machete is carried across his back

Not much to go on I know but any help would be appreciated.
[/FONT]

Actually this is ringing a bell...sadly the bell's chime is very faint and far away...hopefully it will percolate in the back of my head and I'll remember what it was.

Would anyone else be able to help? All I keep getting via google is a film called 'Machete' and this is not it. I'd really like to remember the series, but the only additional information I can recall is that he had companions, which does not narrow things down at all.

Hey.... check out Jem by Frederick Pohl

With Earth overburdened by too many people and too few resources, the planet's fate hangs in the balance, but the discovery of an Earthlike world in a nearby system brings new hope, unless humankind's warlike tendencies get in the way.

"Please, Ahmed. I am not ready for a joking little chat. The Krinpit said 'to die,' and what does it mean?"
"Naive Ana," he said again, looking at her thoughtfully. Then he shrugged. He did not reply, but he
unwrapped a ruddy-brown leaf from an object he had been carrying. It was a flat metal blade, broader at
the end, the edge razor-sharp. The hilt was sized to fit a man's hand, and the whole thing half a meter
long.
"Ahmed! Is that a sword?"
"A machete. But you are right; it is a sword also now."

Thanks for the suggestion, Spade. Certainly old enough (1979) and has aliens and a machete - not many books with specific mention of that. I'm not sure it is wha I was thinking off, I'll try to get hold of a copy to check.