Heroic fantasy

Dundalis

Looking for the best in heroic fantasy, lots of action, but not squibbing on the story.

I would recommend almost anything by Guy Gavriel Kay, especially Tigana, or the (non-magical) one based on the reconquest of Spain whose name I can't remember (on my phone so difficulty in looking it up).

AL said:
I think the mods need to move this to General Book Discussion

I think you're right; and have so moved.

Unfortunately, this (heroic fantasy) is hardly my speciality, so I can't make any serious suggestions, but giving some examples of books you have appreciated (and perhaps even some you haven't) would help others in targeting their answers.

I would recommend almost anything by Guy Gavriel Kay, especially Tigana, or the (non-magical) one based on the reconquest of Spain whose name I can't remember (on my phone so difficulty in looking it up).

The Lions of Al-Rassan is the book you're trying to think of. Great book, although as you say there's not much magic in it so it barely qualified as fantasy.

Yup - heroic fantasy = Gemmell in my book. Recommended, great author, sadly missed.

I'll third David Gemmell, the master of heroic fantasy.

I'd also mention Jim Butcher and Joe Abercrombie.

Though I will mention Butcher's Dresden series is based in our world (that's if its still our world if you include all the fantasy parts).

Yeah I should have said, I've read most of Gemmell's stuff already. Very good. Also read Howard's Conan stuff, though mostly the ones done by Robert Jordan. Also read Salvatore's Drizzt stuff though that's a bit light for what I usually like, as well as the Demon Wars stuff.

I particularly like the anti-hero type, love those one man wrecking balls (i.e. love the Bourne Identity movies).

Recommendations on those types of stories would be appreciated.

In case you missed the post I linked to:

How about these?

The Crown of the Blood / Gav Thorpe :: Angry Robot Books

Kell’s Legend / Andy Remic :: Angry Robot Books

I haven't read them myself, as I'm not really into epic fantasy, but if you scroll down to the bottom of each page there's a free sample chapter (PDF) so you can try before you buy :)

If you like Conan, Remic sounds right up your street. The guy had his own gigantic axe made for a promo video (and I'm not talking guitars) :eek:

In case you missed the post I linked to:

If you like Conan, Remic sounds right up your street. The guy had his own gigantic axe made for a promo video (and I'm not talking guitars) :eek:

Just checked some reviews on amazon, looks like it takes a leaf out of Gemmell's style of writing. Will definitely check it out, thanks.

Anti-hero, eh. How about Elric of Melnibone? Or Fafhrd and The Gray Mouser? Then there's always Thomas Covenant. Umm, what about A Song of Ice and Fire? The First Law Trilogy? The Kingkiller Chronicles?

"I particularly like the anti-hero type, love those one man wrecking balls (i.e. love the Bourne Identity movies)."

You will love the Bloody-Nine in Abercrombie's First Law trilogy.

The best writers in S&S heroic fantasy imo and not adding epic series are these:

Robert E Howard - Solomon Kane,Conan
David Gemmell - Jon Shannow series,Rigante,Legend
Paul Kearney - Sea of Beggars,The Ten Thousand
Charles. R Saunders - Imaro(an african fantasy hero if you want)
Hideyuki Kikuchi - Vamire Hunter D is more S&S,horror,SF

Elric by Moorcock is S&S but read only if you want more weird story and not only action.

Well, I'm more a "heroic or idealist hero type" but Weeks Night Angle Trilogy is a good antihero read along with Abercombie's First law trilogy. Elric by Moorcock was already mentioned and that character sort of exemplifies "anti-hero.

There are the Amber Books by Zelazny, Corwin could arguably be thought of as an antihero or a hero...

If you feel like trying a "hero-hero" my favorite would be Elizabeth Moon's Deed of Paksenarrion trilogy. There's also the Green Rider books by Kirsten Britain.

Unsurprisingly from me:
David Gemmell - Rigante or Drenai, both are cracking series.

If you're going to get some REH then I'd advise going for the Omnibi:
Conan's Brethren - (Collection of other REH characters including Kull, Solomon Kane etc.)
The Complete Chronicles of Conan: Centenary Edition