Red Dwarf for 2 more series?

Dr.Jackson

Certified Space Monkey
Craig Charles recently let slip on BBC Radio 2 that Dave has commissioned Red Dwarf for 2 more series, based on the popularity of the mini-serial 'Back To Earth'.

Obviously nothing has been officially confirmed as yet.

Craig Speaks Out | News | Red Dwarf

I wonder how many episodes each new series will consist of, given that the 3 part story 'Back To Earth' is apparently considered to be series 9.
Fingers crossed for a full run for series 10 & 11 though.

Dunno, the last effort was pretty cr*p.

Unless there's a drastic improvement in quality,they'd be as well letting it die.

I think I'll be watching it anyway, good or bad, although I can't help but wonder at the quality of the stories and humour. Looking forward to finding out.

I love Red Dwarf but also agree that the mini-series was pretty poo. :( I think I only laughed once. I love Rimmer, but Chris Barrie really annoys me now.

I share the ambivalence of others here.

The 'special' was pretty poor (although I did like Carbug). I hope the writing improves.

Mind you, I watched New Who when RTD was writing...

I enjoyed the specials for what they were -- specials. I felt the more complex plot (even if the explanation of it being an Elation Squid felt a little flat) suited the three specially made episodes. But I agree if the programme's really making a return, it needs to be better. What with all the advances in effects that have been made since the end of the Red Dwarf, there's always going to be a lot of temptation to use them and the thing that made Red Dwarf so awesome it was a situation comedy that just happened in space -- it wasn't so much about the big, flashy effects of space, but the hilarious interaction between the characters.

I know they left an opening for another series. Am I remembering correctly that it was something about Lister going after Kochanski? Because if so...BLAH. She annoyed me.

ISTR that Claire was the preferred actor for the role amongst the "gentlemen" of my school...

Was much better when Rimmer was a smeghead , Cat was totally selfish and egotistical , and Lister was just trying to get on Rimmer's nerves - all the time. Ie that is the first 5 series. After that , they all got a little too big for themselves , started playing up their roles (Ace Rimmer and Duane Dibbley got WAY overdone) and being 'nice' to each other. I actually thought that the mini-series was a return to form , and much more like the original 1-5 series - certainly a lot better than the last couple.

It seems a shame that the perfect ending for the series would have been Back To Reality - the best ever ep of RD

Which one was Back to Reality?

I think they're all too old now really. Craig Charles and Chris Barrie especially.

Craig Charles lived in my home town in Somerset for a while. Got booted out of one of the local pubs for smoking, I think it was. Mum walked past him once, and her opinion of him was that he was 'dishy.' Her words. I never saw him once unfortunately!

Which one was Back to Reality?

I think they're all too old now really. Craig Charles and Chris Barrie especially.

Craig Charles lived in my home town in Somerset for a while. Got booted out of one of the local pubs for smoking, I think it was. Mum walked past him once, and her opinion of him was that he was 'dishy.' Her words. I never saw him once unfortunately!

The one where they wake up and are informed that they arent geeks , freaks and losers - they're actually far worse off!

Oh no. Nonononono. The only fun thing about the specials was the Bladerunner parody. Here's some words of wisdom: let it be.