looking for a 60's book

wn1ytw

A science fiction book I read in the 60’s has been bugging me. This was a cheap pulp paperback, I can’t recall the name or author. The story starts with a guy in NYC waking up to discover his body had been changed to a metal robot-like thing like an armadillo is put together. Most of his neighbors had turned solid metal and were dead. Those people who didn’t die had to “eat” electricity. Most electro- mechanical systems were broken. It eventually turns out aliens had ‘gassed’ the planet and were enslaving the remaining people by being the only reliable source of electricity which they rationed out by forcing a finger to be stick in a lighter-like socket. The location alternates between NYC, Annapolis, West Point and the Catskills. A small group eventually discovered some way to defeat the aliens of course.

This was not a major work by a recognized author of sci-fi I’m sure (having read hundreds of sci- books/stories).
Does anyone have any clues?
Thanks
Scott:rolleyes:

Invaders From Rigel WAS it! Thanks! I found a PDF file of its' previous title: THE ONSLAUGHT FROM RIGEL
A Novel by FLETCHER PRATT
Copyright, 1931, by Gernsback Publications, Ltd.

Back