What We're Watching.

Okay, so this is off-topic. I mean from what we're watching. So it's kind of on topic. Except this initially came up on another thread as an off-topic discussion. Confused? You will be, on the next episode of Soap (now does anyone remember that?). Anyway...

Cul - could you kindly point me in the direction of said information regarding Jaqen at King's Landing from AFFC? This is not about the Syrio/Jaqen thing, just me wanting a clearer picture of Jaqen's movements. Nor is this about me trying to distract you in any way shape or form from your most triumphant run in the World Cup tipping contest. Honest.

Of course, if anyone else knows off the top of their heads where this info is then your intervention would be appreciated. It might be a couple of days before I get the chance to scan AFFC thoroughly enough. Cheers.

Okay, so this is off-topic. I mean from what we're watching. So it's kind of on topic. Except this initially came up on another thread as an off-topic discussion. Confused? You will be, on the next episode of Soap (now does anyone remember that?). Anyway...

Man, do I feel old...

Boston winning will be the ultimate proff that there is no God. I say that as a very long time fan of the NY Knicks.
Imp, NY failing again is proof that there is no conspiracy in the NBA.

Am I the only Lost fanatic on this forum? I bet I am the only Lost fanatic on this forum that actually has not seen the final episode. Please don't ruin it for me.
TK, I won't ruin the final episode, the writers and producers did that all on their own. Do yourself a favor... Stop watching now and just remember LOST for the journey and not the destination. But then of course, the creators thought it was a good idea and many people liked the ending... but not me.

Imp, NY failing again is proof that there is no conspiracy in the NBA.
The Knicks.

I was at The Garden when we had Willis, Dave, CLyde, The Pearl, Dollar Bill, etc. To say I'm a long-suffering fan is an understatement. WHat makes things even worse is that I live in Mass and no one could blame me for giving up, jumping ship, and rooting for the Cs, especially after they hot Garnett and Ray. In the spirit of Paul revere though, I still say screw them and the horses they rode in on.

I remain hopeful that they'll sign one, maybe two top FAs soon and at least be competitive next season. Unfortunately, ASOIAF may be finished before they next win a championship.

Personally, I didn't understand any of that...but welcome back Imp.

As is obvious from my last post, I'm back from my trip to Colorado My wife's conference was in Estes Park (3 days) and we then did a big circle, going from EP to Leadville, Montrose, Grand Junction, Silverton, Durango, Colorado Springs, Boulder, and then back to Denver (where we started) It was an amazing trip, one, I'd recommend to anyone who loves jawdropping views of nature at its' besxt. I'll post a link to Photobucket after i edit down my pics and clean them up. I think I got some nice stuff.

I was REALLY hoping against hope that after 9 days of not checking baords, email, etc. we'd have news of ADWD. No such luck though.

Nice to be back

I understood every syllable of it. Which only shows that I'm a basketball geek.

By the way, I posted yesterday in Cul's Sports Bar. Some of you sports watchers might find it interesting, some of you might want to tell me I'm full of it.

I understood every syllable of it. Which only shows that I'm a basketball geek.

By the way, I posted yesterday in Cul's Sports Bar. Some of you sports watchers might find it interesting, some of you might want to tell me I'm full of it.
After about 4k posts on a basketball forum I've given up. Sifting through the crap that comes with adolescent boys, bigots, illiterates, etc. has become more trouble than it was ever worth. I'm going to click that link as soon as I hit "send".

A peaceful sunday night after a week involving far too much manual labour for my liking. And England lose to Germany. All is normal in the world, except for Boaz posting on a non-Martin thread. Good one, Cul.:)

I'll respond here on a couple of points to your post though Boaz, regarding a viewpoint from someone living in the UK. Of course, I love football (sorry, soccer), but I think my sentiments mirror most fans nowadays, who regard international games as a side-dish of little consequence compared to the meat and mead of league football/soccer (but then, as fans of England, we would wouldn't we?). I used to follow tennis very closely through the latter 80's and 90's, but my interst has waned (though I was recently blown away by the utterly Heraclean efforts of that french guy and that american guy at Wimbledon. 70-68 in the 5th set! I honestly couldn't believe my eyes when I switched over to it at 54-all).

I just don't get along with cricket or golf, with an on/off interest in Formula One.

Regarding American sports I've tried but never taken to Baseball or Basketball, but I do like football (even if the intricacies of it elude me) and love ice hockey (the day Scott Stevens retired from the New Jersey Devils was a sad, sad day. I loved that man). Sadly, I hardly ever get to watch any games these days and the coverage of american sports is hardly a priority over here.

Imp - looking forward to those pics. And I'm loving Sopranos (only half way through the 1st season so far).

Didn't love Avatar though, which I've also only recently seen.

The soccer/football has been fun to watch, though I'm a casual viewer. I keep missing skates, body checking and helmets. But where else do you see Ghana beat the US?

Lots of stuff here for my Netflix queue with Carnivale, etc. Thanks for the suggestions. people.:)

I'm have a hold in, at the library, (I don't mind saving money and I also have almost run out of personal book self space, so this is a good idea) for the next Guy Gavriel Kaye book. Has anyone read it?

Never heard of 'im. I did google 'Guy Gavriel Kaye' though, and I see he's a fantasy fiction writer (or historical fantasy). Sounds interesting - how would you describe his stuff?

Guy Gavriel Kay (oops, not Kaye) is a lot like GRRM's younger brother,
softer, and a little more melancholy. The books are less ambitious and shorter, but they are (cough) complete! They were my favorite historical/mythic/fantasy writing till The Song of Ice and Fire got rolling.

I liked the Sarantine Mosaic especially, since the hero is an artist, and the Byzantine setting is unusual.

Seeing as the historical feel of ASOIAF is one its great appeals to me, I will certainly keep an eye out for any of Kay's books. Cheers.

A peaceful sunday night after a week involving far too much manual labour for my liking. And England lose to Germany. All is normal in the world, except for Boaz posting on a non-Martin thread. Good one, Cul.:)

I'll respond here on a couple of points to your post though Boaz, regarding a viewpoint from someone living in the UK. Of course, I love football (sorry, soccer), but I think my sentiments mirror most fans nowadays, who regard international games as a side-dish of little consequence compared to the meat and mead of league football/soccer (but then, as fans of England, we would wouldn't we?). I used to follow tennis very closely through the latter 80's and 90's, but my interst has waned (though I was recently blown away by the utterly Heraclean efforts of that french guy and that american guy at Wimbledon. 70-68 in the 5th set! I honestly couldn't believe my eyes when I switched over to it at 54-all).

I just don't get along with cricket or golf, with an on/off interest in Formula One.

Regarding American sports I've tried but never taken to Baseball or Basketball, but I do like football (even if the intricacies of it elude me) and love ice hockey (the day Scott Stevens retired from the New Jersey Devils was a sad, sad day. I loved that man). Sadly, I hardly ever get to watch any games these days and the coverage of american sports is hardly a priority over here.

Imp - looking forward to those pics. And I'm loving Sopranos (only half way through the 1st season so far).

Didn't love Avatar though, which I've also only recently seen.
Glad you're enjoying The Sopranos. The HBO version of ASOIAF was described by someone as The Sopranos with swords. pretty silly analogy, but one could certainly compare the quality of the writing, story-telling, and character development. As for Avatar, I think what made it "amazing" was the 3D. Take that away and you have maybe an average sci-fi movie.

Sopranos with swords - Wasn't that David Benioff (sp?), one of the writers? His inclusion on ASOIAF worried me, mainly because he worked on the script to Troy, which I despised with a passion (seeing the Iliad reduced to hollywood formula made me want to puke). That said, Troy was a studio film and Benioff (hopefully) didn't have much of a say in which direction to take the script. I certainly can't fault him for his choice of literature and I know HBO will handle their writers better than whatever god-awful studio produced Troy.

And I know I should have watched Avatar on the big screen. I confess, I was swayed by South Park's summary of the film as 'Dances with Smurfs', which, as it happens, is basically accurate, except Dances with Wolves was a better film overall.

So was District 9, which showed how Mechs really ought to be done.

[Very mild SPOILERS ahead for non-Soprano viewers]

Just finished the first season of Sopranos. Incredible stuff. The Lead actor (gandolfini?) is phenomenal. I'm not sure why but I think he'd have made a really good Varys at some stage of his career (maybe just because of the very different 'moods' we see him go through).

And his mother is one of the best-written characters - you never quite knew if she was just a leaking fountain of information or the real spider in the web (no Varys pun intended). Amazing scene at the end between Tony and his mother. Was she smiling? It sure looked like it.

Could rave about the characters and subtext of the show, but I'll be here a long while if I did that :)

[Very mild SPOILERS ahead for non-Soprano viewers]

Just finished the first season of Sopranos. Incredible stuff. The Lead actor (gandolfini?) is phenomenal. I'm not sure why but I think he'd have made a really good Varys at some stage of his career (maybe just because of the very different 'moods' we see him go through).

And his mother is one of the best-written characters - you never quite knew if she was just a leaking fountain of information or the real spider in the web (no Varys pun intended). Amazing scene at the end between Tony and his mother. Was she smiling? It sure looked like it.

Could rave about the characters and subtext of the show, but I'll be here a long while if I did that :)
More Sopranos spoilers

I think that Tony's mother totally manipulated Junior and yes, that was a smile. Do you remember where Nancy Marchard "made her bones"? (on television) :)

You have a lot to look forward to. The show jusat keeps getting better IMO, with the introduction of charcters, and consistently good writing. The series isn't perfect, but it comes damn close.

I'm seriously thinking of buying the complete box set, which is down to something like 140 dollars now. I just happen to have about that ammount in Amazon gift certificates burning a hole in my cyber pocket

Another great HBO show is Oz, set in the fictional Oswald Sate Correctional Facility. Amazing characters, writing, plotlines, etc.

Oz? Well as long as there are no characters called Tobias Beecher and Verne Schillinger, I'll watch it ;)

Love Oz.