Motivations for evil

Cayal

The Immortal Prince
I am trying to think of a reason why my main antagonist is evil. What is driving him to want to do the evil deeds he will do.
Why does he want to rule the world? Or summon the underworld or evil Gods or gain their power? Or whatever it is I decide he is truly evil.

I have everything planned out, except the main reason why he is truly evil and what drives him.
I know it isn't personal, and I can grasp the reasoning for personal evil (eg revenge). But I just can't get the concept of why someone wants to rule the world, what purpose does all knowing power get you?

Can an antagonist just be plain crazy?

I would say colossally vain and selfish -- either a sense of entitlement, or a belief that one knows better than anyone else ever could exactly how the world should be ordered. Or both.

A total lack of empathy and a fixation on what one personally wants.

He could be crazy. He could just as easily be a worshiper of those dark gods and see ruling the world as nothing more than proving his faith to them. Evil for evil's sake is usually, but not always, fairly weak as far as motivations go.

Perspective can determine how evil someone really is. Most of us can agree that Hitler was evil, but he probably didn't see himself as such. Give your villain a good motivation, perhaps even a noble one, and shape his methods around that.

Perhaps he's a man who's suffered so much that he feels he has to do what he does. Take the story of Job for one and imagine if Job had decided to rebel against God for putting him through Hell all for the sake of proving a point to the Devil. That's a good motivation for a villain and perhaps even a justified one.

We see a lot of heroes trying to overthrow an evil empire, but what if someone decided not only to overthrow that empire, but rule in its stead? Imagine nations constantly going to war because their rulers want to expand their territories. These rulers rarely suffer what soldiers and civilians face. A man wanting to overthrow them would be evil by their standards and noble by his own. I'm sort of rambling, but that's my two cents.

Valid points.

I guess I try to imagine it from a logical perspective. Which, in the case of evil (and fantasy), logic is not always neccessary.

Don't skimp on this. An antagonist who has believable (and yes, psychologically logical) reasons for the bad things he does is going to be a much more interesting character than a stock "dark lord" who is only the way he or she is because the story demands it. And yes, full-scale insanity is a possibility, but a bit of a cop-out in my view. Working out the character's early life is probably key.

Usually motivations (especially for men) are one or a combination of power, sex and wealth.

The desire for power is quite common, anybody who ever wanted promoting to the next level at work has a desire for power. If you want a supervisors job, and you're in competition for it, you can work harder/better/longer than your rival (the good if you like). Alternatively you can spread negative rumours about your rival, plant offending information on their computer, cause them to have an accident (the evil route if you like).

The desire for power is pretty primal it probably comes down to a combination of upping survival chances (if you make the rules you can't fall foul of them), breeding rights and survivability of offspring.

Often the person/creature (in a fantasy novel) doesn't know or believe what it is doing is evil. Is exterminating termites in your house evil? Is a lion evil when it kills? Is a sociopath evil?

Is he evil in what he wants or what he does? The two are different.

If I believe that by deliberately murdering a few thousand people in a mass experiment I will develop a drug which will save millions, my intentions are noble. It still makes me an evil killer.

If I believe that by burning a witch I am purifying her soul, so that she may partake of everlasting life in the next world, no matter how terrible her death is in this, again, I am acting from noble motives.

So your meglomaniac may be convinced he is the only person who knows how to save the world. Or it could simply be he has achieved order in land A, but his borders are threatened unless he conquers the neighbouring land B. Once he has that under control, his borders are threatened by the encroachment of land C, and the merchants of his new dominions are clamouring for help, so the way to ensure the merchants are safe is to conquer land C -- and so on.

Very few individuals consider themselves evil, even if they might be called - and relish the title - of 'evil b*stard'. No society ever considers itself evil, regardless of how spurious the justification for 'evil' deeds may be, so an individual brought up in such an environment might have 'natural and commonplace' modes of behaviour which other social groups considered 'evil'.

Generally speaking you're only evil, as far as history is concerned, if you lose...

Sometimes being 'evil' is only in context, for example;

(a) As a genetic scientist I develop a bioweapon which my country uses against an enemy and the act is considered a 'crime against humanity'.
(b) I develop the weapon which terrorists steal and deploy against a civilian target.
(c) I develop the weapon which is released by accident.
(d) I develop the weapon and it is never used, remaining secure in the vault as a deterrent.

In each example my action is the same, but it is the consequences which apply a retrospective appraisal of my moral motivation.

I've always liked the adage "the road to hell is paved with good intentions". Power corrupts, ultimate power corrupts ultimately". "Ultimately" being a reference to both time elapsed and magnitude. What may start out as combat against perceived injustice may turn, in time, with difficult morally ambiguous decisions made, into a slippery slope to a point where any means to an end are rationalised as justifiable (whether or not the end goal is the same at the tipping point as at the beginning of the journey)

If you want a modern example, take Robert Mugabe.
{Far-- Very far-- Please ?? ;-}

Thirty years ago, he was considered an enlightened chap, a beacon of hope for Africa.

By his own lights, he's the only hope for his benighted country, gamely holding on against the evil Whites and their misguided minions...

What motivates people to do bad deeds are strong emotions: anger, fear, vengeance. Also, some people get a rush by manipulating people; they "win" at a game only they can see. Serial killers get a rush by having total control over their victims.

But probably the biggest motivator is righteousness. More people have been murdered in the name of religion than any other cause. Hitler murdered jews because he thought the final solution was what god wanted. He had a deep emotional belief he was Right and anything he did to promote god's plan was justified.

All good thoughts guys, keep em coming.

I am starting to form the reasons for the antagonist being 'evil'.

The Nazis were evil, and they considered they were removing an evil in their society - the Jews. Now, rationally, we know that's a load of moronic nonsense, but some (?good?) people actually believed it - so were they as eveil as the ones who told the lies?

Repeated since then, are a myriad of cases of evil being done for what we see as the wrong reasons, but what the wrongdoer sees as the right reasons...

If a person has no conscience then they are truly evil, because they can commit any act and have no regrets. I read that a camp commandant actually spent a load of his own money buying drugs for the inmates of his camp - yet he still did the job. (When the war ended Czech jewish inmates hid him until they could hand him over to the Americans, after they had extracted a promise that he would get a fair trial.) And when an American unit overran a camp outside Munich, they lined all the german guards up and shot them on the spot. Deserved? Yes? Evil? Supposing one of the guards had been posted there the day before, for gross dereliction of duty by the Nazis?

I agree with HB on this, to have a antagonist 'pure evil' is just not realistic (despite what Hollywood thinks).

My evil bad guy just wants everyone to love him so he's sort of like 'you will love me, dammit! Or I will enslave you all! Mwah ha ha ha ha.'

Maybe your antagonist has seen a vision of the future destruction of humanity, and he believes he knows best how to avoid it.

At first he could cringe at the acts he must do to advert the fate he has seen. To continue he detaches himself from the acts, thus he could be seen as evil.

I sometimes think of an antagonist in the terms of the saying 'the cure can be worse than the disease'. Although that wouldn't apply if the disease was complete destruction.

Maybe your antagonist has seen a vision of the future destruction of humanity, and he believes he knows best how to avoid it.

I sorry, but to me, that's a cop out. Better yet: he gets a trill from the diffidence and groveling of others and a deep satisfaction knowing he guiding humanity down god's chosen path. And if a few sacrifices have to be made, well, they're Evil and who cares how Evil dies?

I'll run down several of my antagonists' motivations.

Villain #1 is a sociapath with a desire for scientific discovery and a brilliant mind. He will basically do ANYTHING to find the solution to a problem. Unfortunately for those around him, he has been put in a position of power AND, due to his sociopathic tendencies, he is very manipulative and quite capable of putting on false fronts in order to obtain the answers to his scientific problems. Basically, he is very curious and lacks almost any conscience; even if he appears to be caring and genuine, it's most likely only because he needs something from you.

---

Villain #2 has a substance dependency to a very strong psychoactive drug. It gives him feelings of absolute euphoria when he has it, utter despair and pain when he doesn't. He is either rewarded with or denied this substance, depending on how well he serves his "master". See Below.

The "master", Villain #3, only manipulates others because it is the only way it knows how to sustain itself. It is not human.

Villain #4 is being puppeteered by Villain #3 as a secondary means of self-preservation against a certain individual who poses a threat to Villain #3.

. . . Evil for evil's sake is usually, but not always, fairly weak as far as motivations go. . . .

I agree entirely, it's a point that I've felt no little irritation toward for a good while. There are always some stories that make good use of a standard Evil Is Evil Because It's Evil standpoint while Good Is Good Because It's Good to oppose it, but it's all very two dimensional. There aren't any greater motives than that. Evil must be eliminated and Good must triumph.

With the way our own understandings of human minds and desires have expanded, the expectation of depictions of those minds and desires have grown as well. We want something believable. Yes, there are spells flying left and right, and a mystical talking turtle that is actually an ancient Wizard who has been trapped in this form for centuries to prevent him from saving the world, but we can allow ourselves to believe all of that if the motivations and the people around these items are realistic enough.

Valid points.

I guess I try to imagine it from a logical perspective. Which, in the case of evil (and fantasy), logic is not always neccessary.

I will agree that it's not -always- necessary since we are indeed talking about fantasy here, I think that with the same token, your fantasy world will be far more believable if you use that logic when building it and its people. I have my own fantasy world, and as any of us could have, I could have filled it with any number of random magical things and said "Done!" whether they followed any form of logic or not, but I've gotten quite a bit of positive feedback regarding my decision to use as much of our own world's physics in how I built the magic system. I don't intend to break that down for the readers, but what it gives you is a system with internal integrity that (hopefully) prevents the reader from being shocked out of the narrative by something that doesn't jive quite right.

What motivates people to do bad deeds are strong emotions: anger, fear, vengeance. Also, some people get a rush by manipulating people; they "win" at a game only they can see. Serial killers get a rush by having total control over their victims.

But probably the biggest motivator is righteousness. More people have been murdered in the name of religion than any other cause. Hitler murdered jews because he thought the final solution was what god wanted. He had a deep emotional belief he was Right and anything he did to promote god's plan was justified.

I think that's a good assessment of what drives many, but I also see our breed as being like profilers. It's up to us to understand how the human mind works, whether we're talking about people doing good works, or bad.

Sociopaths, for example, lack the ability to feel guilt or sympathy. I suppose you could say that they're freer individuals in that they can act without fearing the consequences. If it's a scientific experiment, they can do things to people without feeling pangs of guilt over what suffering they go through, or ultimately if they even die. There are several things which typify most sociopaths, though, beginning with childhood. I recommend watching shows like Most Evil on the ID (Investigation Discovery) channel. Highly enlightening.

Teresa had an excellent point and observation with vanity. Many killers, serial killers, can be very narcissistic and arrogant. They think that they'll never get caught, that no one is smart enough to follow their trail, that if someone found out then they could easily outsmart the pursuer, that no one could possibly understand the reasons -why- they're doing what they're doing.

So I think the more you understand what has driven people to do things you'd consider evil in the past, the better able you'll be to both figure out and portray it in your characters.

>_> Hope that wasn't too long . . .

Oh my, what a helpful thread! I've been kind of pondering about the reasons behind my villain's reasons for doing what he's doing as well. Thank you, Cayal, for starting this thread. :} I think this would be a good one to pin on the board; a lot of useful information is coming through here, and yet here I am just a leech as I'm not very good at analyzing reasons for why people do what they do. But then when I read the other posts, I find myself nodding in agreement....