The Wire: Possibly the best TV show ever.

Haven't seen Generation Kill yet. I heard it got a lot of kudos from critics, but I have yet to find anyone who has actually seen it and can give me the skinny.

Oz was great entertainment. It started mocking itself in its second or third season, then got it's act back together by the end and just kind of stopped. The Wire was great entertainment and excellent social commentary. It had something to say about society that was much more important than the stories it portrayed. I actually just started rewatching it last week.

Haven't seen Generation Kill yet. I heard it got a lot of kudos from critics, but I have yet to find anyone who has actually seen it and can give me the skinny.

I've seen it and own it. It's very good. And very faithful to the book (which I've also read several times).

I recall starting to watch The Wire, but gave up partway through the first episode because I couldn't understand what most of the actors were saying. The only one I could follow clearly turned out to be British!

Now if they'd given it subtitles I might have persevered. :rolleyes:

Recently completed watching "The Wire" (without subs), and have to say it impressed me immensely!

So much so that I know I will have to rewatch again very soon because it demands it, not least because of the story-arcs, and the large number of lead characters that disappear one season, and reappear in force the next. I also loved the show because each season focused on a particular aspect of Baltimore life - gangsters, journalism, corrupt politicians, a failing education system. And the police in the middle of it all trying to please everyone.

Lots of violence, shootings, bad language etc; but none of that really matters because the stories and the characters are so absorbing you just don't dwell on the murders so much. It's very much a character-driven show for me at least stands head and shoulders over the likes of "The Sopranos" and "Breaking Bad"

I got the shotgun. You got the briefcase. It’s all in the game though, right?” - the incomparable Omar Little: quite possibly one of the greatest TV characters ever!
(y)

However, this show most definitely needs subtitles!!!

Hated it. There's crackheads around here, and no nice cops that I can see.... nope. * ) Couple shootings today, a knifing... no sign of anything like any TV show.... hey, another shooting...that's ... 8 blocks from here. Maybe they can talk nice with them and put some sappy music on , and they will not drive off the road into a crowd like happened a few days ago.
Actually, I really wish I could get to Baltimore, where it has to be better, and safer than here?
Fascinating, these crackeheads who shoot each other, and the poor cops who have to clean it up, fascinating! Furthermore, I'd like to - ...look out!!!! Bam, crash, arrrrghhh...*

So I've splashed out on a Now TV stick and finally have the facility to watch this series that $ky has has kept from me for near two decades.

I've just started series 4 and my, is this some classy television!

It makes every other cop show feel as contrived and unreal as if it were written by Agatha Christie.

Since making the above comment I've watched the French police series Engrenages (called Spiral in English-speaking markets) and it's almost as good, especially once it gets going. I'd urge anyone who liked The Wire to give it a go.

I saw the first series of Spiral years ago but never got round to series 2. My other half keeps on at me to go back to it, so I suppose I'll just have to at some stage

Saw this series for sale in a really good deal; now I've read this, I'm heading out to buy it. Let you know what I think in a while....

Reporting back...

I have tried three times to enjoy this series and finally got into it, and managed to finished the first season. Didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I hoped I would, and I'm sorry to say I'm put off by Dominic West as McNulty. For some reason I find him irritating in the extreme, but love most of the other actors. I'll have ago at Season 2 soon, report back in another ten years.

I did like Spiral! Very gory after a while, but excellent series, otherwise.

I started to wane a bit when Idris Elba was 'removed' from the show. For me he will always be a draw card. But I continued to watch and overall found it to be okay. Not really my kind of show. but watchable none the less.

I saw the first series of Spiral years ago but never got round to series 2.

From memory, it really hits its stride around season 3. For the first two (or maybe just the first, I can't quite remember), there's a bit of a "case of the week" feel alongside the series arc, which I found distracting.

I'm a huge fan of The Wire, it is definitely a mainstay of my top 5 series ever and if I was more decisive would probably be number 1. I think the end of series 5 is the best bit of TV writing I have ever seen. I started to re-watch it recently but due to there being so many other unwatched series I didn't continue.
Engrenages is also great, but I'd argue mot at the level of social commentary as the wire. I think we only watched up to series 4, but we probably 'caught' up with it by then so had to wait for new series and have let it slide since DVDs became old hat.

and finally have the facility to watch this series that $ky has has kept from me for near two decades.
Some years ago, I watched all five seasons on BBC2.

A really excellent series, IMHO.

I've started watching The Wire again after finding an unattended DVD box set at my brother's. Three episodes in, it's actually better than I remembered.

With the sad passing of Michael K.Williams aka Omar I will be re visiting this brilliant series. He was one the outstanding actors of an incredible ensemble.

With the sad passing of Michael K.Williams aka Omar I will be re visiting this brilliant series. He was one the outstanding actors of an incredible ensemble.
He is about the best thing in it -- and that's against some stiff competition, as you said. A fantastic character brilliantly performed.

Back