Forthcoming Lovecraftian Items

Joshi revealed in the latest EOD mailing that he is working a collection of Steve Mariconda's essays and reviews. Steve may write up his brilliant lecture on "The Colour Out of Space" from MythosCon for it.

That would be well worth looking up. I have his Necronomicon Press collection, On the Emergence of "Cthulhu" and Other Observations, but am always happy to see more from him....

That would be well worth looking up. I have his Necronomicon Press collection, On the Emergence of "Cthulhu" and Other Observations, but am always happy to see more from him....

I was told that it will be at least twice the size of the Necropress booklet, but I assume that it will contain the contents of the booklet too.

Paula just sent me ye pdf file for New Cthulhu: The Recent Weird, and it is a brilliant anthology! Her Introduction is one of the finest I have ever read, informative and serving as a perfect foreword to her selection. Lots of tales I have never read (which was also a highlight of The Book of Cthulhu for me), and all of the stories that I've read are excellent. One wonderful aspect of the book is that each tale is prefaced by an HPL quote that serves as epigraph -- her choice of quotation that precedes my "The Fungal Stain" is absolutely spot on. I love this book and am so overjoy'd to be in it. I hope this becomes a new annual trend, reprint anthologies of "Cthulhu" yarns.:D

Paula just sent me ye pdf file for New Cthulhu: The Recent Weird, and it is a brilliant anthology! Her Introduction is one of the finest I have ever read, informative and serving as a perfect foreword to her selection. Lots of tales I have never read (which was also a highlight of The Book of Cthulhu for me), and all of the stories that I've read are excellent. One wonderful aspect of the book is that each tale is prefaced by an HPL quote that serves as epigraph -- her choice of quotation that precedes my "The Fungal Stain" is absolutely spot on. I love this book and am so overjoy'd to be in it. I hope this becomes a new annual trend, reprint anthologies of "Cthulhu" yarns.:D

Good to hear! For me, it has a high overlap content, but I'm going to get it anyway.

I am now taking a wee break from writing my own books.

WEIRD TALES will eventually be edited by Marvin Kaye, whose anthologies I have long enjoy'd. The first issue he will work on will have a theme of H. P. Lovecraft's Elder Gods and he wants it to be 40% Mythos fiction! Pretty cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice but very limited and expensive editions. Would really like an omnibus edition collecting these in a single hardcover.

From Joshi's blog:

I talked with both Jason Williams and Jeremy Lassen of Night Shade Books, who appear keen on a new edition of Lovecraft’s The Ancient Track, with all the “new” (or, more precisely, recently discovered) poems or poem fragments included, and a thorough overhauling of my notes. I look forward to beginning work on this edition soon. I believe there are about 10 new poems that would be added, most of them couplets or quatrains found in letters, but also at least three complete and full-length poems (“An American to the British Flag,” “To the Recipient of This Volume,” and “Dirge of the Doomed”).

From the Locus magazine forthcoming books section

Joshi, S. T. • The History of Supernatural Fiction, Vol. 1 • (PS Publishing, nf, hc)

The author seems very prolific, I have the Sixty Years of Arkham House and I found it very useful. Does anyone know what this new title will encompass?

For some reason, I'm not able to access STJ's website, but it should have some helpful information on this....

And yes, he is extremely prolific. In one of the vlog interviews Wilum has with him, he himself even jokes about being a bit taken aback by how many books he has in the pipeline at the moment....

Speaking of which... I received my copy of Dissecting Cthulhu: Essays on the Cthulhu Mythos, edited by S. T., and though I have some of the pieces in there, others I do not have... and in any event, it's a fine collection of pieces on the subject....

And for those interested in Lovecraftian cinema, the H. P. Lovecraft Historical Society's long-anticipated film version of The Whisperer in Darkness is now available for purchase on DVD:

http://arkhambazaar.com/films/the-whisperer-in-darkness-dvd

From the Locus magazine forthcoming books section

Joshi, S. T. • The History of Supernatural Fiction, Vol. 1 • (PS Publishing, nf, hc)

The author seems very prolific, I have the Sixty Years of Arkham House and I found it very useful. Does anyone know what this new title will encompass?

It will cover the history of supernatural fiction, starting with Gilgamesh and Homer and ending with today. I have seen the table of contents and it looks very impressive. I have also read excerpts from it, and it is very entertaining (Dean R. Koontz is in for some serious bashing...)

BTW, what release month is given in Locus? If it is anything before fall 2012, it is wrong. Both volumes will be released together in fall 2012.