Advice on prologue of my Fasntasy Novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

flickimp

Looks forward to seeing his cats each day and plan
Hi

I have been planning to write a book sicne I was 9...(am now 31, a Senior Manager in the NHS who still holds onto that dream).

I want to wrtie a 100,000 word book with short chapters averaging 1,500 words. Its all planned out, the entire trilogy... but I find getting my thoughts across difficult.

Please read and let me know.
Any tips, criticism, advice would be fantastic....

I have already set up a website to help promote the book as time progresses. the address is simply the name of the book without the "the"

Blurb:

Held together by a strong army the Kingdom of Hazhindor watches over the Western and Northern world. They oppose the ravaging beasts from the East. It has been a hundred years since the War of the Dead. A war ended with the glorious removal of the evil lord Ightar.

Though it was not a sword that felled Ightar, but an army of cats that could control the four elements of the world. Fire, Earth, Air and Water. They are no more now, and the attacks from the East grow stronger.

When an ancient Relic is found, fears of a prophecy that tells of Ightar’s return sends grave concern through the Kingdom. The bravest of the King’s Order must seek a way to prevent the evil lord from regaining existence.

One young black cat, who shares the name of the highest order of Elemental Cats must rise and face the challenges that will come upon him.

He is weak, fears the unknown and knows not where his power comes from, yet he must control it before it destroys him and everything he cares for.

He is Strider, the last of the Striders.
He is the first and only Spirit-Elemental

The Last Strider

Prologue

Adominus followed the two native trackers deeper into the MayurasinForest with the sound of smaller animals scurrying away. His two, less armoured companions were not far behind, keeping one eye on the sloping downwards journey and one on their surroundings. The air around them was growing thicker with mist. The Mayuris were primitive to civilisation and did not believe in roads and beaten paths. For them the Forest was the rightful home of their seven Gods. Just one more hill ahead and they would arrive.

Leaving the soldiers at the entrance to the Forest, Adominus placed one hand on his dagger and waved behind the trackers to Inmas and Rodri to flank towards the top of the hill. Surely, they wouldn’t dare set a trap for the skilled soldiers of the King’s Royal Guard. Noticing this, one of the trackers stopped, pointed his decorated spear at the Centurion and slapped his chest to resonate the clicking sounds of his ancient dialect. The other tracker pulled two small knives from under his smooth loin-cloth, but motioned for his friend to lower his spear. He did not want to test his luck against the three before him.

“You are no match for us, let alone me,” said Adominus behind his great helm. He placed his dagger back into its sheath. “Your people called us and we came, yet we know little of why?” He kicked a fallen branch from his side and leaned forward with his arms folder across his knee. “No trouble crossing the KinoBridge, one small skirmish past the Raised Fields and nothing in the Forest for me to slit. Not a word of what you will reveal. Till now, I have trusted you. I just need some assurance over what lies past that hill.”

Thud! Five Mayuri warriors, clad in feathers jumped down from the huge trees, sending pockets of the mist to disperse slightly. They swung their short, broad-shaped clubs once over their head to signal intent.

“A surrounding challenge?” quipped Rodri.

Several birds fluttered across the thick canopy sending all eyes upwards for a brief moment. That was more than enough for the Inmas to spin across the ridge and land behind the first tracker. Placing the cold blade of his dagger against the gasped tracker’s neck and reaching out to prod the second tracker with his long, wide-bladed, sword, he nodded towards his superior.

“Why did you summon us?” said Adominus.

“Ah, Centurion!” said an old voice from atop of the hill. Feli’op, one of the Mayuri priests, helped by a younger aid taking some steps down the hill, clicked his fingers at the warriors that moved back disappearing into the mist. He was of the few that had tried to learn the language of the South. “You are here. Good.”

Inmas swiftly removed his weapons and slid down the hill to be back beside Adominus. He had seen the concern in the faces of the warriors and could sense that something deeper was troubling them all. A soft smell of decay was beginning to linger.

“Three of you?” said Feli’op. His eyes squinted into the non-penetrable forest. “More of you there are?”

“Priest of Mayuri,” said Adominus bowing with respect. “I travel with fifty soldiers and they stand watch outside the forest. The most loyal stand with me now. I was ordered to aid your people with misfortune?”

“Misfortune? They said that?” queried Feli’op.

“I was told to come with haste and not ponder over the details. No warning from the villages on our way here leads me to suspect there is no real threat.”

“Centurion, we have been good to keep quiet. We know some things are only for the ears that must listen.” His grin turned to worry and his voice lowered in tone to a whisper. “We came across something that does not belong here.”

Taking two steps up the hill, Rodri paused to pull off his one-braided helmet and spat downwards as the putrid stench intensified.

“You get used … used to,” said the young Mayuri aid making sniffing motions as he helped the priest back up the hill with the other two soldiers.

Suddenly, the ground shook for a few seconds followed by screams of hatred from the other side of the hill. The soldiers and trackers rushed upwards. The mist halted as they reached the top and dozens of warriors stood facing forwards. Some with their spears aimed chanting angrily. Separating on appearance of the priest the soldiers finally saw it. A large, iron coated boulder engraved with circling markings. Shaped parts protruded and extruded randomly along two of its sides. Adjacent to it were two dead warriors, burnt and distorted.

Continuing his approach and carefully stopping a body length from the boulder, Adominus removed his great helm and knelt down. He tried to reason with his thoughts. This is a Relic? The last Relic? Here? So far from the EasternMountains.

Some of the warriors continued to chant as Feli’op silently stepped behind Adominus.
“Heard much of the Relic’s importance when I was young,” he said. “Three days it appeared here. We keep watch. Now you are here.” He pointed to the remains of eight other burned bodies, laid atop one another on the far side of the boulder and spoke through his teeth. “You take it away.”

“It just appeared?” retorted Rodri half-sliding down the hill with his helmet hooked onto his belt.

“It is a Relic!” snapped Feli’op, waving his finger. “Ah! Tayakkiki rasitalin! My people come to hunt. This! Come from no-where!” Murmurs of agreement swept past the warriors. “They don’t know what to do.” He held his head after glancing for a second time at the burned bodies. “It shakes more now today than before.”

“It longs to be with the other three?” said Inmas. Even he could not understand how an important object as this could be discovered so far from its origin and the resting place of the first three Relics.

“They don’t shake,” shrugged Rodri.

Walking around the Relic making note of the small trench caused by its impact onto the forest ground, and movement along the ground in a circular wave, Adominus looked at his two soldiers. “Bring back all of the men. We will need to make a strong cage to transport this back to Hazhindor.” Picking up his helm, he placed a clenched fist along his red breast-plate and said to the priest. “You have my King’s honour for loyally guarding that which is of no concern to your people. I give you my word, that it will be gone.”

“Sayaki!” screamed one of the warriors as the Relic span forwards, spinning with the vibrant sound of an overheated furnace.

Almost all of the warriors stabbed their spears down and held onto their closest ally; even Inmas grabbed the first tracker back away from the steep decline of the hill. Adominus fell back seizing the falling priest but could not prevent the young aid from hitting the rough, iron exterior of the Relic. The priest’s eyes glowed with anguish as the aid’s body jerked back and forth with suffering screams, and then lit up in flames that dispersed on their own accord. His limbs were bent and his eye-sockets empty.

“Hurry,” said Adominus to his soldiers as the mist began to build again.

[/quote]
Hi

I have been planning to write a book sicne I was 9...(am now 31, a Senior Manager in the NHS who still holds onto that dream).

I want to wrtie a 100,000 word book with short chapters averaging 1,500 words. Its all planned out, the entire trilogy... but I find getting my thoughts across difficult.

Please read and let me know
Any tips, criticism, advice would be fantastic...

I have already set up a website to help promote the book as time progresses. the address is simply the name of the book without the "the"

Blurb:

Held together by a strong army
comma
the Kingdom of Hazhindor watches over the Western and Northern world. They oppose the ravaging beasts from the East. It has been a hundred years since the War of the Dead. A war
that?
ended with the glorious removal of the evil lord Ightar.

Though it was not a sword that felled Ightar, but an army of cats that could control the four elements of the world.
colon
Fire, Earth, Air and Water. They are no more now, and the attacks from the East grow stronger.

When an ancient Relic is found, fears of a prophecy that tells of Ightar’s return sends grave concern through the Kingdom. The bravest of the King’s Order must seek a way to prevent the evil lord from regaining existence.

One young black cat, who shares the name of the highest order of Elemental Cats must rise and face the challenges that will come upon him.

He is weak, fears the unknown and knows not where his power comes from, yet he must control it before it destroys him and everything he cares for.

He is Strider, the last of the Striders.
He is the first and only Spirit-Elemental

The Last Strider

Prologue

Adominus followed the two native trackers deeper into the Mayurasin Forest
A comma here? And neither "with" nor "smaller" really work in this context
with the sound of smaller animals scurrying away. His two, less armoured companions were not far behind, keeping one eye on the
It's the path rather than the journey which is 'downward sloping'
sloping downwards journey and one on their surroundings. The air around them was growing thicker with mist. The Mayuris were primitive to civilisation
They might well be considered primitive by civilisation, but they do little to it
and did not believe in roads and beaten paths. For them the Forest was the rightful home of their seven Gods. Just one more hill ahead
do you need that "ahead"?
and they would arrive.

Leaving the soldiers at the entrance
but they had been traipsing through the forest; is this a flashback?
to the Forest, Adominus placed one hand on his dagger and waved behind the trackers to Inmas and Rodri to flank towards the top of the hill.
Very confused; I assume "Inmas and Rodri" are his companions in arms, and they are to flank him, but the "waved behind the trackers" could perhaps mean he waved the indigens back, or?
Surely, they wouldn’t dare set a trap for the skilled soldiers of the King’s Royal Guard.
Who wouldn't?
Noticing this, one of the trackers stopped, pointed his decorated spear at the Centurion and slapped his chest to resonate the clicking sounds of his ancient dialect.
Not clear (to me). They talk by hitting themselves, and adjusting body cavity resonance?
The other tracker pulled two small knives from under his smooth
I'm sorry. That "smooth" for me suggested the lack of external genitalia, and where had he been hiding those daggers?
loin-cloth, but motioned for his friend to lower his spear. He did not want to test his luck against the three before him.

“You are no match for us, let alone me,”
All right, I'm not supposed to touch dialogue, but isn't the logic more "You're no match for me alone, let alone the three of us"? And who put the dagger back in a sheath? Adominus? We haven't even seen him draw it. The tracker? He had two, and probably no sheath.
said Adominus behind his great helm. He placed his dagger back into its sheath. “Your people called us and we came, yet we know little of why?
that's not actually a question
” He kicked a fallen branch from his side and leaned forward with his arms folder across his knee. “No trouble crossing the Kino Bridge, one small skirmish past the Raised Fields and nothing in the Forest for me to slit. Not a word of what you will reveal. Till now, I have trusted you. I just need some assurance over what lies past that hill.”

Thud! Five Mayuri warriors, clad in feathers
comma
jumped down from the huge trees, sending pockets of the mist to disperse slightly
would they cause (not send) the mist to disperse, or just swirl around them?
. They swung their short, broad-shaped
Do you need the "broad"? You definitely don't need the "shaped"
clubs once over their head to signal intent.

“A surrounding challenge?” quipped Rodri.

Several birds fluttered across the thick canopy sending all eyes upwards for a brief moment. That was more than enough for the Inmas to spin across the ridge and land behind the first tracker. Placing the cold blade of his dagger against the gasped
Gasping? grasped?
tracker’s neck and reaching out to prod the second tracker with his long, wide-bladed,
no comma
sword, he nodded towards his superior.

“Why did you summon us?” said Adominus.

“Ah, Centurion!” said an old voice from atop of the hill. Feli’op, one of the Mayuri priests, helped by a younger aid taking some steps down the hill,
Is it the aide taking the steps?
clicked his fingers at the warriors
comma, then probably "who" rather than "that"
that moved back
comma
disappearing into the mist. He was of the few that had tried to learn the language of the South. “You are here. Good.”

Inmas swiftly removed his weapons
removed or sheathed them?
and slid down the hill to be back beside Adominus. He had seen the concern in the faces of the warriors and could sense that something deeper was troubling them all. A soft smell of decay was beginning to linger.

“Three of you?” said Feli’op. His eyes squinted into the non-penetrable
impenetrable? But it isn't as they've traversed it.
forest. “More of you there are?”

“Priest of Mayuri,” said Adominus bowing with respect. “I travel with fifty soldiers and they stand watch outside the forest. The most loyal stand with me now. I was ordered to aid your people with misfortune?”

“I was told to come with haste and not ponder over the details. No warning from the villages on our way here leads me to suspect there is no real threat.”

“Centurion, we have been good to keep quiet. We know some things are only for the ears that must listen.” His grin turned to worry and his voice lowered in tone to a whisper. “We came across something that does not belong here.”

Taking two steps up the hill, Rodri paused to pull off his one-braided helmet and spat downwards as the putrid stench intensified.

“You get used … used to,” said the young Mayuri aid
comma
making sniffing motions as he helped the priest back up the hill with the other two soldiers.

Suddenly, the ground shook for a few seconds
comma
followed by screams of hatred from the other side of the hill. The soldiers and trackers rushed upwards. The mist halted as they reached the top and dozens of warriors stood facing forwards. Some with their spears aimed
comma
chanting angrily.
fragment
Separating on appearance of the priest the soldiers finally saw it. A large, iron coated boulder engraved with circling markings. Shaped parts protruded and extruded
extruded would mean they are actually being pushed out of the thing as we watch, while the protroding ones are already sticking out.
randomly along two of its sides. Adjacent to it were two dead warriors, burnt and distorted.

Continuing his approach and carefully stopping a body length from the boulder, Adominus removed his great helm and knelt down. He tried to reason with his thoughts. This is a Relic? The last Relic? Here? So far from the Eastern Mountains.

Some of the warriors continued to chant as Feli’op silently stepped behind Adominus.

“Heard much of the Relic’s importance when I was young,” he said. “Three days it appeared here. We keep watch. Now you are here.” He pointed to the remains of eight other burned bodies, laid atop one another on the far side of the boulder and spoke through his teeth. “You take it away.”

“It just appeared?” retorted Rodri
comma
half-sliding down the hill with his helmet hooked onto his belt.

“It is a Relic!” snapped Feli’op, waving his finger. “Ah! Tayakkiki rasitalin! My people come to hunt. This! Come from no-where!” Murmurs of agreement swept past
swept past? From where?
the warriors. “They don’t know what to do.” He held his head after glancing for a second time at the burned bodies. “It shakes more now today than before.”

“It longs to be with the other three?” said Inmas. Even he could not understand how an important object as this could be discovered so far from its origin and the resting place of the first three Relics.

“They don’t shake,” shrugged Rodri.

Walking around the Relic making note of the small trench caused by its impact onto the forest ground, and movement along the ground in a circular wave,
description not clear
Adominus looked at his two soldiers. “Bring back all of the men. We will need to make a strong cage to transport this back to Hazhindor.” Picking up his helm, he placed a clenched fist along his red breast-plate and said to the priest. “You have my King’s honour for loyally guarding that which is of no concern to your people. I give you my word, that it will be gone.”

“Sayaki!” screamed one of the warriors as the Relic span forwards, spinning with the vibrant sound of an overheated furnace.

Almost all of the warriors stabbed their spears down and held onto their closest ally; even Inmas grabbed the first tracker back away from the steep decline of the hill. Adominus fell back
comma
seizing the falling priest but could not prevent the young aid from hitting the rough, iron exterior of the Relic. The priest’s eyes glowed with anguish as the aid’s body jerked back and forth with suffering screams, and then lit up in flames that dispersed on their own accord. His limbs were bent and his eye-sockets empty.

“Hurry,” said Adominus to his soldiers as the mist began to build again.

I suspect that the "aid" should be an "aide" throughout. I assume the somewhat 'Yodaish" dialogue is supposed to make the difference between the tribesmen and the soldiers clear, but in that case shouldn't the representatives of civilisation speak a clear, grammatical English to contrast with the pigin?

An interesting beginning, and it did keep me entertained, however you do make a few errors, other than what chris has picked out.

For example,

“You are no match for us, let alone me,”

Surely this should be. "You are no match for me, let alone us." However i still feel this is slightly lacking. Perhaps, "you are no match for me, let alone the three of us."

How could they aid the villagers with misfortune?? unless misfortune isn't actually what the literal sense of the word means, and is instead the name of a spell or trick perhaps?

and then lit up in flames that dispersed on their own accord. His limbs were bent and his eye-sockets empty.

This seems almost a little anti-climactic, and maybe could use a few words to increase the dramtic nature of what is happening.

Perhaps, and then lit up in flames, the fire wreathing his body. The priest cried out in agony; his limbs bent and buckled; his eye sockets empty.

Just my thoughts guys. :)

Take 2
Chapter One

Edominus followed the two native trackers deeper into the Mayurasin Forest, disturbing the forest-dwellers that scurried away. His two, fully armoured companions were not far behind, keeping one eye on the sloping downwards path and one on their surroundings. The air around them was growing thicker with mist but was still cool enough to send a welcome breeze through the gaps of their plated armour. The Mayuris of the Forest did not believe in roads and beaten paths. For them the Forest was the rightful home of their seven Gods. A vine covered hill became clearer past the rushing stream.

It was not common for outsiders to wander through the Forest in small bands. Edominus was far braver and relied on his two loyal captains, Inmas and Rodri to walk with him, leaving the other ninety-eight of his army back at the entrance to the Forest. Still, he would be more cautious now. Tracing his red, gloved fingers across his belt, he gripped the hilt of his sheathed sword. The trackers continued to move up the hill with ease. Edominus waved at Inmas to flank them, and for Rodri to stay back to provider cover. Surely, the Mayuris wouldn’t dare set a trap for the skilled soldiers of the King’s Royal Guard.

Noticing the movement of the soldiers, one of the trackers stopped and pointed his decorated spear at the Centurion. He took a deep breath as he called for the other tracker to turn around. Still pointing the spear, he slapped his chest to resonate the clicking sounds of his ancient dialect. The other tracker pulled two small knives from under his long, stitched loin-cloth and motioned for his friend to stay calm. He did not want to test his luck against the three before him.

“You are no match for me, let alone the three of us,” said Edominus. His voice was deep behind his great helm. “Your people called us and we came.” Kicking a fallen branch from his side and leaning forward with his arms folded across his knee, he continued. “Our path from the Kingdom of Hazhindor took us through three villages, with no word from any of them of any apprehension in this Forest. You have guided us with my thanks. Till now, I have trusted you. I just need some assurance over what lies past that hill.”

Thud! Five Mayuri warriors, clad in feathers, jumped down from the huge trees, causing the mist to swirl around them. They swung their short, broad clubs once over their head to signal intent.

“And that wasn’t expected,” quipped Rodri. Seven years at the side of Edominus had given the skilled swordsman many dramatic victories across the Eastern world. He greeted each challenge the same as he did his first, with hunger and belief. He tugged the flowing horse-hair that hung from his helmet, letting each strand fall from his fingers slowly.

Several birds fluttered across the thick canopy sending all eyes upwards for a brief moment. That was more than enough for Inmas to demonstrate his agility. His specifically tailored armour, gave little resistance as he span across the ridge and land behind the first tracker. Placing the cold blade of his dagger against the grasped tracker’s neck and reaching out to prod the second tracker with his long, wide-bladed sword, he nodded towards his superior.

“We are not here to harm you. Why did you summon us?” said Edominus.

“Ah, Centurion!” said an old voice from atop of the hill. Feli’op, one of the Mayuri priests, recognisable from his peacock feather covered sash was helped down the hill by his young aide. Feli’op silently clicked his fingers at the warriors, who moved back disappearing into the mist. He was of the few that had tried to learn the language of the South. “You are here. Good.”

Inmas swiftly sheathed his weapons and slid back down the hill. He brushed the two thick strands of horse-hair from the front of his helmet back to their normal position.

Dramatic as their jumping entrance was, Inmas could see concern in the faces of the warriors and could sense that something deeper was troubling them all. A soft smell of decay was beginning to linger.

“Three of you?” said Feli’op. His eyes squinted into forest. “More of you there are?”

“Priest of Mayuri,” said Edominus bowing with respect. “A hundred soldiers guard the entrance of the Forest under my command. My orders were to aid your people with a problem of great importance?”

“Yes. Of great importance?” sighed Feli’op.

“With haste, we have come. Yet, the details of this importance were not disclosed,” Edominus.

“Centurion, silence does not mean peace. We have been good to keep quiet. Hearing is for listeners, not idle tongue.” His grin turned to worry and his voice lowered in tone to a whisper. “What lies here does not belong.”

Taking two steps up the hill, Rodri stopped to pull off his helmet and spat downwards as the putrid stench intensified.

“You will… get used … used to,” said the young Mayuri aide, making sniffing motions while helping the priest back up the hill with the two trackers.

Suddenly, the ground shook for a few seconds, followed by screams of hatred from the other side of the hill. The soldiers and trackers rushed upwards. The mist halted almost as if it was held back from the top. Dozens of warriors stood facing forwards. Some with their spears aimed, chanting angrily.

Separating on appearance of the priest the soldiers finally saw it. A large, iron coated boulder engraved with circling markings. Shaped parts were fashioned to stick out randomly along two of its sides. It was big enough to house four men and looked to weigh twice as much. A large blood-stain marked the top of it. Adjacent to the boulder were two dead warriors, burnt and distorted. One of them still shook as his limbs tried to contract back.

Continuing his approach and carefully stopping a short distance from the boulder, Edominus removed his great helm and knelt down. Brushing his grey stubble, he covered his mouth and tried to reason with his thoughts. This is a Relic? The last Relic? Here? So far from the Eastern Mountains.

Some of the warriors continued to chant as Feli’op silently stepped behind Edominus. “Heard much of the Relic’s importance when I was young,” he said.

As had the soldiers, though Edominus had seen the other three Relics that had been found and placed deep in the dungeons of the Highmoor Castle of Hazhindor. The Relics exceeded the term ‘great importance’. His head filled with past conversations and warnings of what was to come once the four Relics had been found. He regained his composure and looked back to the priest.

“Three days ago it appeared here. We keep watch. Now you are here.” Said Feli’op, pointing to the remains of eight other burned bodies, laid atop one another on the far side of the boulder. He gritted his teeth as he spoke. “You take it away.”

“It simply appeared?” retorted Rodri, half-sliding down the hill with his helmet hooked onto his belt. “And you saw no-one bring it or dig it up?”

“It is a Relic!” snapped Feli’op, waving his finger. “Ah! Tayakkiki rasitalin! My people come to hunt. This! Come from no-where!” Murmurs of agreement swept past the warriors. “They don’t know what to do.” He held his head after glancing for a second time at the burned bodies. “It shakes more now today than before.”

“Shakes?” said Rodri, trying to tread carefully around the warriors on the slippery vines.

Inmas looked around the Relic but found no tracks of movement but brittle, muddy mounds caused by force. The burnt bodies meant no-one could touch the Relic. Even he did not understand how this could be discovered so far from its origin. The King’s advisors in Hazhindor never spoke of the other three Relics shaking. Nor did they speak of burned bodies from touch.

“One of yours?” asked Edominus, referring to the blood-stain on the top.

“No,” replied Feli’op slowly. “It burns all that touch. That is not our blood.”

Interesting thought Rodri to himself.

Edominus spoke to his two soldiers. “Bring back all of the men. We will need to make a strong cage to transport this back to Highmoor.” Picking up his helm, he placed a clenched fist along his iron breast-plate and faced the priest. “You have my honour for guarding that which is not of your people’s concern. I give you my word, it shall be gone.”

Almost all of the warriors stabbed their spears down and held onto their closest ally; even Inmas grabbed the first tracker back away from the steep decline of the hill.

Edominus fell back, seizing the falling priest but could not prevent the young aide from hitting the iron exterior of the Relic.

The priest’s eyes glowed with anguish as the aid’s body jerked back and forth with suffering screams. Then the aide lit up in flames, all while his limbs were pulled and bent beyond reason.

“No!” screamed Feli’op held back by Edominus. He could do nothing to stop the aide’s life vanishing from his wreathing body.

The flames stopped and the aide’s charred body fell; his limbs still bent; his eye sockets empty.

“Hurry,” said Edominus. “This is not right.”

Status
Not open for further replies.