Chapter One Promotions -Literary Agents???

JtheD

Hi, it's my first time on here!!!;) Hello all.
I have been dealing on an off with Chapter One for the past six-seven months over a Science Fiction novel I recently finished. Initially doubtful of their credibility I sparred wide but after a few chatty emails with one of the team I forwarded my work. I have now asked for it back (having included the postage etc) or at least assurances that it has been destroyed-no answer at all. I have copywrited my work-by posting the novel to myself, unopened and dated etc but I need to account for all of the manuscripts sent out (Chapter One being one of four full submissions). Has anyone had any dealings with them??? Any advice on what to do next? I have an agent and two more publishers looking at the entire novel now-they're large and known-so that's great but I am a little paranoid as to my book simply lying non-acknowledged at Chapter One.
:confused: J xx

Agents generally don't send manuscripts back nor do publishers.

They are pretty busy. And, none of them are thieves if you are worried about them stealing your work.

Think about it. You receive ten manuscripts a day, on a slow day. You open, skim, and place them in the 'sure', 'mabye' and 'no way' piles. The next day, you rinse and repeat.

Then you get all those ten people calling, faxing, emailing, writing you asking for information on your decision. Then you get the one that wants you to either destroy it or mail it back, after only six months?

I wouldn't have time to bother either.

And, many publishers and agents, at least at the higher levels, can take up to two years to decide to make a book out of a submission.

Lol, me too ... Der :)

As dustinzgirl says, they're just very busy. No reputable agent - and certainly no publisher - would retain your work with the intention of 'stealing' the story. In the same light, no author should make the mistake of thinking that their idea is unique. During the early 90's I was editing a novel, which I had not submitted, when 3 months later a TV drama was broadcast that parralled the idea. It freaked me out, lol, but I knew it was just coincidence.

Always research an agent prior to submission. Not only for peace of mind but also to check that your work 'fits' their current list.

Good luck :)

Back