John Grisham Books

I actually started reading his novels when I was 11-12 (a teacher that saw it once had to check with my parents that it was OK). I loved his first 3 books (time to kill, the firm, pelican brief), but found the client a little underwhelming and never finished the chamber. That could very well be due to me getting more into SciFi as a teenager and finding legal thrillers boring. I've since gone to law school, practiced at a mega firm, and burned out on the profession, so his work doesn't hold that much appeal for me anymore, having seen that the reality of law is as banal and dull as mentioned above, in addition to being rather disheartening and unjust most of the time. That said, I still recall those early books among the best thrillers I ever read.

I think The Firm is one of the best thrillers I've ever read. But all the other Grishams I've tried have been disappointing. Having read this thread though I'm going to try A Time To Kill.

A painted house is a good novel by him, as well as a time to kill. Unfortunately I did finish the chamber and was a little annoyed by what seemed to me like a big plot hole/unfinished storyline culminating in a pretty loose ending.

Was about to give up on The Litigators, but it's finally starting to warm-up around page 100. It's certainly dented my idea that Grisham normally writes fast-paced, though.

I really enjoyed The Litigators in the end. It was predictable but compelling, and - as expected - everyone got pretty much what they deserved. I couldn't wait to finish the last few chapters, and felt very satisfied when I'd finished.

I'm still perplexed by the early chapters - multiple scenes of someone getting drunk in a bar I found to neither character-building nor forwarding the plot. And it all resulted in the main characters meeting in a very contrived way. It could have been done better. But I guess Grisham has enough brand trust that people will remain patient if they find one of his books opening slowly - certainly it's rewarded in the end.

Have read a few:
"The Litigators" is good, it reads in part like black comedy.
"The Racketeer" about one mans plan of revenge on the Federal system who sent him to prison for a non-crime.
"Sycamore Row" this is a sequel to his first book "A Time To Kill".
All good reading!

Just finished reading The Associate, and certainly found it to be a compelling story and dealing with some sensitive issues. The midway scenes with Baxter - a supporting character - trying to beat his alcoholism were stand out brilliant.

However, I couldn't shake the feeling that the main character, Kyle, was somewhat passive - while he resists as long as possible, he still requires third-party intervention. And when it comes, I was left wondering why he didn't do it earlier. Then again, if he had, it might have read too much like The Firm. :)

Somewhat unsatisfactory ending though - the puzzle did not feel resolved, or revealed.

I read "The Associate" a while ago.
I found the scene in the bar with Baxter very moving.
Pity what happened to him.
Yes, I thought the ending wasn't that well thought out.
3 out of 5 stars!