WorldCon 2010 - Melbourne

GOLLUM

Hi there,

I think the original post on Melbourne becoming the host city for WorldCon 2010 was blown away so here it is again...

Melbourne, Australia will host WorldCon 2010.

It will be held during 2-6 September 2010 at the new Melbourne Convention Centre located along the river and entertainment precinct.

Guests of Honour will include Kim Stanley Robinson of the Mars series fame and Shaun Tan, an aussie artist whose work including the silent graphic novel The Arrivals is acknowledged worldwide having also worked with the folks at Pixar.

There's a link to the site and for those wishing to join and it looks as if registration costs will be going up by Jan 1 2009 by $20 US for an attending membership but check out the site to confirm this.

Here's a lnik to the site: Aussiecon4

Hope to see you there.

Cheers...:)

Nesa: Look forward to it.

AussieCon4 :: Home

OK, we've now got some updates to the official WorldCon 2010 site up and running for Melbourne, Australia, Sep 2-6 2010.

It does contain some useful data like GOHs bios, links to the Convention Center where the main events/activities will be held, volunteer forms, conversion rates for membership fees, organisational information incl. contacts, tourist information and other goodies.

Below is a summary of the membership costs as of now sourced from the website.

*NB There's a reference to pdfs and scanning of membership forms but they do provide address details for US, UK, Europe & Japan.

Attending (attendance, voting rights, publications) AU $210
Supporting (voting rights and publications) AU $70
Convert supporting membership to full attending
membership
AU $150
Child (age: 6 to 12 years at 2 September 2010) AU $50

Cheers.....

Last edited:
Yey! I'll be there. Do we need to restart the "what restaurant/pub shall we meet at?" thread again?
Not as yet.

I'll be posting something closer to the event next year but I will be organising a Chrons get-together probably at a restaurant, I have some good ones that are affordable and quite fun in mind.

Cheers......

Thanks for the latest news about the WorldCon, Precioussss ;)

Yes, I shall be there! Looking forward to it immensely and meeting all the Chronics attending.

I'll be there. I'm out of school at the end of this year and planning on taking a gap year, travelling and such next year, money allowing.

How could I not be there, its in my home town, I can't wait, so exciting!!! Bring it on!

I just realised something... I might be planning to go over to Vietnam and China in September...but it might also be November, the latter looks the more likely because then my friend has finished uni and can come too.

When is Worldcon coming to South Africa, we have a big community down here but are always overlooked
Well when you say overlooked cities do still have to make active bids to host WorldCon rather than being picked out of a hat per se. Still not an easy thing to get things going I admit.

I think anywhere in Africa would be an excellent choice just like China. They do seem to be moving the event around a lot more than before when most years it was held in the U.S.

Cheers...:)

I just realised something... I might be planning to go over to Vietnam and China in September...but it might also be November, the latter looks the more likely because then my friend has finished uni and can come too.
If November you're OK as it's early September, so let us know how it pans out.

I've been busy checking out accommodation already! Are they near the railway line, or the tram or perhaps just around the corner from the Convention. Found quite a lot so far, all sounding very nice.

As to name tags, you won't see mine written as 'Rosemary'! :D

Oh good, there is still plenty of time to decide if I should go down under. Can't quite make up my mind.